Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health insurance cancellation mid-term.

• 12-05-2016 11:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭

Considering cancelling my health insurance policy with Laya. - Long story...

I understand the policy wording to mean that if I renew, as I did in January, I must stay with Laya for the rest of this policy year up to 31.12.2016.

I read the wording to mean that irrespective of how I paid - one payment or direct debit - I cannot cancel the policy and get a refund for the unexpired portion of the insurance year.

Indeed, I also read it to mean that if I cancelled and stopped direct debits that Laya could pursue me in contract for the premium for the whole year.

Am I reading this correctly ? Does anyone have experience of trying to cancel mid-term ?

Any views welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Considering cancelling my health insurance policy with Laya. - Long story...

I understand the policy wording to mean that if I renew, as I did in January, I must stay with Laya for the rest of this policy year up to 31.12.2016.

I read the wording to mean that irrespective of how I paid - one payment or direct debit - I cannot cancel the policy and get a refund for the unexpired portion of the insurance year.

Indeed, I also read it to mean that if I cancelled and stopped direct debits that Laya could pursue me in contract for the premium for the whole year.

Am I reading this correctly ? Does anyone have experience of trying to cancel mid-term ?

Any views welcome.

Correct. No one allows mid terms cancellations with a pro rata return so if you pay by dd they are merely facilitating your monthly payment of an annual premium.

Advertisement