Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 Squads

• 12-05-2016 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭

Belgium. No room for Chadli or Miralles.

CiP5IJzVAAAkwll.jpg:large

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If Belgium had a better manager they'd win something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

Not overly surprised with that, Chadli has pretty much been on the periphery at Spurs this year. As for Mirallas, he's a greedy b*llox and Mertens/ Hazard and probably Carrassco are better wingers than him as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

France,

CiRszjfWEAE08qe.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Doesn't gameiro have 29 goals in all comps this season? Im sure he will feel aggrieved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Icelandsson:

CiQ1NqEXEAQqM0M.png:large

Sweden

Goalkeepers: Andreas Isaksson (Kasimpasa/TUR), Robin Olsen (Copenhagen/DEN), Patrik Carlgren (AIK).

Defenders: Ludwig Augustinsson (Copenhagen/DEN), Mikael Lustig (Celtic/SCO), Andreas Granqvist (Krasnodar/RUS), Erik Johansson (Copenhagen/DEN), Victor Nilsson Lindelöf (Benfica/POR), Martin Olsson (Norwich/ENG), Pontus Jansson (Torino/ITA)

Midfielders: Jimmy Durmaz (Olympiakos/GRE), Albin Ekdal (Hamburg/GER), Emil Forsberg (RB Leipzig/GER), Oscar Hiljemark (Palermo/ITA), Kim Källström (Grasshoppers/SUI), Sebastian Larsson (Sunderland/ENG), Oscar Lewicki (Malmo/SWE), Pontus Wernbloom (CSKA Moscow/RUS), Erkan Zengin (Trabzonspor/TUR)

Forwards: Marcus Berg (Panathinaïkos/GRE), John Guidetti (Celta Vigo/ESP), Emir Kujovic (Norrköping), Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Paris SG/FRA)

• Advertisement

Lacazette can also feel aggrieved at the sight of Giroud.

Gudjohnsen must feel like a pariah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

This thread is getting me extremely excited!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Gudjohnsen must feel like a pariah.

I think they got him in on the granny rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Johner wrote: »
    Belgium. No room for Chadli or Miralles.

CiP5IJzVAAAkwll.jpg:large

*gulp*

Sweden team
    The more you look at that Sweden team, the more you'd feel we can get a result against them but Ibra can pull a goal out of anywhere for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Gignac in instead of Gameiro? Mad altogether. Gameiro scoring goals in big games in Europe and Gignac out playing in Mexico.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

Extremely weird France squad - not taking Benzema after the Valbuena debacle, and then not including Valbuena also.

Giroud and Gignac ahead of either Ben Arfa, Lacazette and/or Gameiro is mystifying as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Deschamps has just gone with the players who he trusts and who understand his system.

Greizmann, Gignac and Giroud have been around the squad for the past 3 years so I think that he was worried about having too many new faces. Hes already included Martial, Koman and Payet so id imagine that he didnt want to go with too many players who didnt know the system

England

CikdaT3WwAA9yog.jpg

Rashford in, Defoe would be more worthy with his experience I think.

Only bringing three CBs seems like a massive risk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Only 3 CB's is a strange decision. Even though Dier can play there.

Which 3 will be dropped?

Rashford, Townsend, Delph?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Only bringing three CBs seems like a massive risk

Yeah I think so too.
    I'd probably get rid of Bertrand for another Cb. Clyne can play LB if needed.

Which 3 will be dropped?

Rashford, Townsend, Delph?

Actually Roy seems to really like Townsend, I'd say Rashford and Delph are certs to drop out anyway. Maybe Wilshere the third?

MD1990 wrote: »
    Only 3 CB's is a strange decision. Even though Dier can play there.

Yeah, I'm sure the thinking is Dier is the fourth CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Actually Roy seems to really like Townsend, I'd say Rashford and Delph are certs to drop out anyway. Maybe Wilshere the third?
    If Wilshere can show any sign of fitness he's in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

How is Wilshire there, his a walking sick note

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Just looking at the squads there, France really do have a class squad, the biggest question mark being do they have a truly world class striker? Which of course they actually do but they can't bring him. Still huge quality there though.

Also surprised at England only bringing 3 centre halves, easy to say Dier can play there but chances are he'll play as the holding midfielder so they'll be disturbing 2 positions if they have to move him there.

Don't think it's that big of a deal naming Rashford really because I'm sure he'll end up dropping out, so no harm to bring him in to have a look at and give him a taste of it etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

How is Wilshire there, his a walking sick note

He was their MOTM in something like 6 games in a row during qualifying. Rashford seems bizarre, hes just not that good at this point in his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Delph ahead of Noble is one thing that stands out as being bat-**** crazy. You'd imagine he's going to be one of the three to miss out, but still, even in the provisional that's a bizarre choice.

Just looking at the squads there, France really do have a class squad, the biggest question mark being do they have a truly world class striker? Which of course they actually do but they can't bring him. Still huge quality there though.

Will probably be Gignac or Giroud starting which isn't great. Martial would be a better option or even Griezmann up top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

AdamD wrote: »
    He was their MOTM in something like 6 games in a row during qualifying. Rashford seems bizarre, hes just not that good at this point in his career.

Those man of the matches were well over a year old at this point. The guy is a complete crock. Bizarre inclusion as he's only played a handful of games this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Hodgson went into the qualifying campaign looking to build a team around Jack Wilshere so its no surprise to me that he is in the squad. He's been 'fit' for a while now so this feels to me a bit different to other high-profile rushes to get star England players back for tournaments (Beckham, Rooney...). Really, Wilshere should be the freshest player in the squad.

I'd say Henderson would be the bigger fitness question mark and it wouldn't surprise me if he drops out if he isn't 100% after the friendlies.

I'm surprise at Rashford - I thought Defoe and Carroll had better chances. I doubt he'll make the cut but will be given a chance to impress in the friendlies so who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Best left foot in Europe makes the squad Martin Keown will be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Austria 24 man squad

Goalkeepers: Robert Almer (Austria Vienna), Heinz Lindner (Eintracht Frankfurt), Ramazan Oezcan (Ingolstadt).
    Defenders: Aleksandar Dragovic (Dynamo Kiev), Christian Fuchs (Leicester), Gyoergy Garics (Darmstadt), Martin Hinteregger (Borussia Monchengladbach), Florian Klein (Stuttgart), Sebastian Proedl (Watford), Markus Suttner (Ingolstadt), Kevin Wimmer (Tottenham).
    Midfielders: David Alaba (Bayern Munich), Marko Arnautovic (Stoke), Julian Baumgartlinger (Mainz), Martin Harnik (Stuttgart), Stefan Ilsanker (RB Leipzig), Jakob Jantscher (Luzern), Zlatko Junuzovic (Werder Bremen), Valentino Lazaro (Salzburg), Marcel Sabitzer (RB Leipzig), Alessandro Schoepf (Schalke).
    Forwards: Lukas Hinterseer (Ingolstadt), Rubin Okotie (1860 Munich), Marc Janko (FC Basel).

• Advertisement

Austria 24 man squad

Goalkeepers: Robert Almer (Austria Vienna), Heinz Lindner (Eintracht Frankfurt), Ramazan Oezcan (Ingolstadt).
    Defenders: Aleksandar Dragovic (Dynamo Kiev), Christian Fuchs (Leicester), Gyoergy Garics (Darmstadt), Martin Hinteregger (Borussia Monchengladbach), Florian Klein (Stuttgart), Sebastian Proedl (Watford), Markus Suttner (Ingolstadt), Kevin Wimmer (Tottenham).
    Midfielders: David Alaba (Bayern Munich), Marko Arnautovic (Stoke), Julian Baumgartlinger (Mainz), Martin Harnik (Stuttgart), Stefan Ilsanker (RB Leipzig), Jakob Jantscher (Luzern), Zlatko Junuzovic (Werder Bremen), Valentino Lazaro (Salzburg), Marcel Sabitzer (RB Leipzig), Alessandro Schoepf (Schalke).
    Forwards: Lukas Hinterseer (Ingolstadt), Rubin Okotie (1860 Munich), Marc Janko (FC Basel).

Very impressive in qualifying, definitely one of the up and coming teams to watch out for. Will be interesting to see how they get on, handy enough group as well.

Austria 24 man squad

Very impressive in qualifying, definitely one of the up and coming teams to watch out for. Will be interesting to see how they get on, handy enough group as well.
    If they had a good striker I would be tipping them to make a run in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

What do people think about 3 keepers?

Is it mandated?
    (IMO) it seems a waste to bring 3 when statistically even requiring 2 is very unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It's mandated

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

North Korea tried to pull a fast one at the 2010 world cup and only bring 2 keepers, ended up being told their extra outfield player was designated a keeper and as such could only play in goal :pac:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jun/03/north-korea-world-cup-goalkeeper-gamble

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

It used to be a 22 man squad for both the World Cup and Euros. Both went up to 23 specifically to avoid having situations like, for example, Argentina losing their keeper in the first game of Italia 90 and having to nurse the back-up through the rest of the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Didn't know Arnautovic was Austrian, guess I just assumed he was Croatian or Serbian

If they had a good striker I would be tipping them to make a run in it

Janko should be returning from injury soon enough, they've a poor selection of strikers though.

ShaneU wrote: »
    Didn't know Arnautovic was Austrian, guess I just assumed he was Croatian or Serbian

Me too. I have to say that I know next to nothing about their entire squad. One of the things I'm looking forward to about the 24 team tournament is seeing players I'd not normally get to see.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Me too. I have to say that I know next to nothing about their entire squad. One of the things I'm looking forward to about the 24 team tournament is seeing players I'd not normally get to see.

Fuchs is their captain, they've got Prodl(Watford) Alaba, Arnautovic and Janko. They would probably be their most well known players. They've a very solid squad.

• Advertisement

ShaneU wrote: »

I was wondering where was Lichtsteiner until I realised he was Swiss :o

Fuchs is their captain, they've got Prodl(Watford) Alaba, Arnautovic and Janko. They would probably be their most well known players. They've a very solid squad.

Yeah I've seen the guys who play in England but I'd say only Fuchs and Arnautovic I've seen regularly.

I'm not slighting them, I'm just saying for me personally I'm looking forward to seeing teams like Austria get a chance in a tournament. I'm sure there will be a few surprise teams in the quarter finals.

On the England squad. I completely understand that he would bring Rashford and Delph for the preliminary squad. Would defoe or noble or carroll really want to take 10 days out of their holidays to go and train when they know the whole time that its really for nothing

Bringing the younger players makes sense as Hogdson can see how they fit in with his ideas and with the others in a relatively high pressure situation.

Dier as a 4th CB is crazy in my view. Hes only played a couple of games there the last 18 months and imagine they get to the quarters to face one of the big nations and pick up an injury to one of the other CBs along the way. They would be asking a guy who has never played CB for his country and not for ages at club level to step in and play........Seems like an unnecessary risk

ERG89 wrote: »
    I was wondering where was Lichtsteiner until I realised he was Swiss :o

Lichtsteiner should be from Liechtenstein really :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Italy preliminary squad.

Goalkeepers: Federico Marchetti, Antonio Mirante, Marco Sportiello.

Defenders: Francesco Acerbi, Davide Astori, Leonardo Bonucci, Armando Izzo, Angelo Ogbonna, Lorenzo Tonelli.

Midfielders: Marco Benassi, Federico Bernardeschi, Antonio Candreva, Danilo Cataldi, Daniele De Rossi, Lorenzo De Silvestri, Stephan El Shaarawy, Alessandro Florenzi, Emanuele Giaccherini, Jorginho, Marco Parolo, Roberto Soriano, Davide Zappacosta.

Forwards: Fabio Borini, Eder, Ciro Immobile, Lorenzo Insigne, Leonardo Pavoletti, Graziano Pelle

Looking at it, I would not fear Italy one bit, Icardi, chiellini and veratti all injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

That's a fairly uninspiring Italy team. Honestly haven't heard of most of them which is unusual for an Italian squad. I know Veratti is ruled out but is Cheillini and Icardi definitely also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

I think Juventas Milan psg are all in cup finals so players from those sides are omitted for premilnary squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

I think Juventas Milan psg are all in cup finals so players from those sides are omitted for premilnary squad.

Correct. Bonucci is only there as he is suspended for the coppa final. No giovinco or pirlo either, whether that's because he has no interest in players in the states or because there season is still on going.

Looking at it, I would not fear Italy one bit, Icardi, chiellini and veratti all injured?
    Cake Man wrote: »
    is Cheillini and Icardi definitely also?

Icardi is an Argentinian international.....
    Marchisio is injured alright and the squad is poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

That Italy 'squad' really shouldn't be in this thread as its missing too many players who will actually be in the final squad.

In addition to the Juv/Milan players its also missing Darmian and Motta as they are in cup finals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement