Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 Squads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

A pretty crap qualifying group though :ermm:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Jeremy Mathieu out of the France squad, Samuel Umtiti (uncapped) called up, but what chance Sakho back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

ERG89 wrote: »
    Veratti is a bigger blow tbh. In 2012 they had a really strong midfield. Now they rely on the Juve back 4 (buffon included). I would have brought Berardi & Belloti too. Eder has done terrible at Inter & Zaza doesn't get much game time at Juve. I don't think Conte has done a good job either.....
    How do Djourou & Senderos stay getting caps. They must have literally nobody else

Imagine it'll be Pelle up front with Insigne and Candreva to either side. Insigne really is their only player who going forward who's got something about him. El Sharaawy does too but is far more inconsistent and shouldn't really start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

titan18 wrote: »
    Imagine it'll be Pelle up front with Insigne and Candreva to either side. Insigne really is their only player who going forward who's got something about him. El Sharaawy does too but is far more inconsistent and shouldn't really start.

I wouldnt say inconsistent, more misused

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Poland squad for UEFA EURO 2016
    Goalkeepers: Łukasz Fabiański (Swansea), Wojciech Szczęsny (Roma), Artur Boruc (Bournemouth).

Defenders: Thiago Cionek (Palermo), Kamil Glik (Torino), Artur Jędrzejczyk (Legia), Michał Pazdan (Legia), Łukasz Piszczek (Dortmund), Bartosz Salamon (Cagliari), Jakub Wawrzyniak (Lechia Gdańsk).

Midfielders: Jakub Błaszczykowski (Fiorentina), Kamil Grosicki (Rennes), Tomasz Jodłowiec (Legia), Bartosz Kapustka (Cracovia), Grzegorz Krychowiak (Sevilla), Karol Linetty (Lech Poznań), Krzysztof Mączyński (Wisła), Sławomir Peszko (Lechia Gdańsk), Filip Starzyński (Zagłębie Lubin), Piotr Zieliński (Empoli).

Forwards: Arkadiusz Milik (Ajax), Robert Lewandowski (Bayern), Mariusz Stępiński (Ruch Chorzów)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Heartbreaking for Reus again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

No Inler in Swiss squad, lot of experience but not playing much for the champions this season shows that they rightly must have been picked on merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Andre 3000 wrote: »
    Heartbreaking for Reus again.

It is sad that such a good player won't be there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

CjySQCnUkAQYUbF.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

What an unbelievable 3 months for Rashford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Rashford and Sturridge in, Drinkwater & Townsend out.

I think Roy's bottled that one a little bit. We're really short out wide and Townsend has finished the season so strongly. He seemed to do well on Friday too with just the 14 minutes he was given. Barkley is very lucky to be going, IMO, and whilst I really rate Sturridge I think if he was going it should have been ahead of Rashford (or Rooney...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Bit light in defence no? Roy's going for the epic 4-3 games a la Kevin Keegan's Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Henderson, Wilshere and (debatable) Barkley have no place in that team given the seasons they have had. Especially Wilshere and Henderson.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Didnt think he's drop Townsend. Dont really rate him (too many hit and hope shots) but he does offer something different for England and hasnt let them down when he's been called on. Barkley definitely lucky to be going alright. And Sterling. Both have had average enough seasons.

I don't get the reservations about Wilshere. He should be the fittest player at the tournament and is arguably the player that Hodgson's side has become built around. he was always going.

He'll have been back in full training for going on ten weeks by the time the first game kicks off.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Henderson, Wilshere and (debatable) Barkley have no place in that team given the seasons they have had. Especially Wilshere and Henderson.

At least Henderson has played more than two games all season. Wilshere one of roys favourites. Drinkwater very unlucky not to go...has been outstanding all season.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I don't get the reservations about Wilshere. He should be the fittest player at the tournament and is arguably the player that Hodgson's side has become built around. he was always going.

He'll have been back in full training for going on ten weeks by the time the first game kicks off.

The reservation is he's made of glass and will break down. Plus the fact he's been out all season yet still gets in despite only playing 60min football this year.

Edit : just reading there Wilshere hasnt completed a league game for Arsenal since Sept 2014. :eek::eek: Thats f*ckin mad.
    Plus one DM in the squad. Roy going all out to win it, and throwing all his eggs into the 4-3-3 basket.

• Advertisement

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    The reservation is he's made of glass and will break down. Plus the fact he's been out all season yet still gets in despite only playing 60min football this year.

His injuries tend to be contact injuries. He was just out with a broken leg wasn't he? So long as it is healed (which two months full training suggests it has) then that shouldn't re-break.

He's started both friendlies and will play the third this week. Obviously you'd rather he had played more but he'll be effectively starting his season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Rashford and Sturridge in, Drinkwater & Townsend out.

I think Roy's bottled that one a little bit. We're really short out wide and Townsend has finished the season so strongly. He seemed to do well on Friday too with just the 14 minutes he was given. Barkley is very lucky to be going, IMO, and whilst I really rate Sturridge I think if he was going it should have been ahead of Rashford (or Rooney...)

Sure Vardy and Rashford can be the wingers :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

At least Henderson has played more than two games all season. Wilshere one of roys favourites. Drinkwater very unlucky not to go...has been outstanding all season.
    Wilshere is one of Roys favourites because he's Englands best midfielder. Danny Drinkwater doesn't offer anything special that can't be filled by Henderson, Dier etc.

Wilshere is one of Roys favourites because he's Englands best midfielder. Danny Drinkwater doesn't offer anything special that can't be filled by Henderson, Dier etc.

He's their best midfielder (when he isnt injured) and drove them on in a few games in qualifying. I get all that. But Drinkwater has been one of the outstanding midfielders this season. If it was picked on form and not reputation he'd be on the plane. Eric Dier is the only recognizable DM in the squad, injury or suspension to him and theyre f*cked. Drinkwater would have been great back-up. John Stones and Barkley have been average at best all season yet walk into the squad. He's picked people on name alone again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Wilshere with a huge 3 games played for his club this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Drinkwater has out performed Dier and Henderson all season, the fact Hodgson didnt even give him a place in the squad in the hope he can shoe horn someone into CDM is laughable from Hodgson.

Roy has played it very safe with his selection IMO, a couple of players going on reputation and name alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Drinkwater has no place in the squad.

When Kanté leaves Leicester in the summer, you'll see how limited Drinkwater really is.

Having said that, Barkley shouldn't be there either. An absolute fraud who hasn't improved one jot in 2 years. Still has no idea what to do other than run at the opposition, or shoot on sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I love the way people are write off Sturridge while talking up Wilshere. Here are the stats:

Wilshere
    age - 24
    Apps - 171
    Games missed through injury - 154

Sturridge
    Age - 26
    Apps - 232
    Games missed through injury - 96

Sturridge has a horrid injury record granted. But when he plays he scores goals. 54 goals in 96 games for Liverpool.

Wilshere picked up bad injuries at a crucial point in his development. He is still the "potential" best midfielder in England but has never actually become it. He looks good at times but often goes missing when actually playing (mostly because he is played out of position) but he is still developing and can become the next "Gerrard/Lampard" but he is in no way that now. He is probably on par if not a little behind Henderson (Henderson gives more energy and doesnt make you panic everytime someone tackles him)

You cant have it both ways. You cant slate Sturridge's injury record and ignore Wilshere. if you could only take one injury prone player it would be Danny ahead of Jack every time as he offers more to the team - goals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Mr.H wrote: »
    I love the way people are write off Sturridge while talking up Wilshere.

You're right. Everyone is doing that...

Liam O wrote: »
    You're right. Everyone is doing that...

:rolleyes: ok everyone might be a mis-representation.

I meant "I love the way, some people are write off Sturridge while talking up Wilshere."

But yea thanks for actually having an input ;)

He's their best midfielder (when he isnt injured) and drove them on in a few games in qualifying. I get all that. But Drinkwater has been one of the outstanding midfielders this season. If it was picked on form and not reputation he'd be on the plane. Eric Dier is the only recognizable DM in the squad, injury or suspension to him and theyre f*cked. Drinkwater would have been great back-up. John Stones and Barkley have been average at best all season yet walk into the squad. He's picked people on name alone again.
    Drinkwater is a thoroughly average player who doesn't do anything particularly well. Good runner, like England don't have enough of those already. WIlshere isn't picked on name, he's picked on the fact that he's just a better player.

John Stones walks into the England team because they don't seem to have many defenders. For a man proclaiming the needs of backups for positions, you seem to have overlooked that.

I do agree on Barkley though, doesn't offer much at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I wonder what odds you'd get on Wilshire getting injured before the end of the group stages

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Drinkwater is a thoroughly average player who doesn't do anything particularly well. Good runner, like England don't have enough of those already. WIlshere isn't picked on name, he's picked on the fact that he's just a better player.

John Stones walks into the England team because they don't seem to have many defenders. For a man proclaiming the needs of backups for positions, you seem to have overlooked that.

I do agree on Barkley though, doesn't offer much at all.

Drinkwater has been the other half of a midfield two that just won the league. He's played 30 odd games and is in the form of his life. He may be average but he's probably only behind Dier in the list of DM's who've had a great season. Would have thought he deserved a place in the squad over the likes of wilshere or henderson. The latter is just back from injury, the former has not finished a league game since Sept 2014.

Stones has been poor. At the heart of an everton defence that has been shocking all season. He's made numerous errors over the season trying his usual walk/pass it out of defence routine. He's definitely not being picked on his form thats for certain. As you say, there are no alternatives for that position.

Same for barkley. And sterling. Bang average all season.

Sure what do I care anyway. As usual England take players not in form , injured, just back from injury, favorites, untested 18yr olds to a major tournament. Its not like we havent seen all this before! :)

:rolleyes: ok everyone might be a mis-representation.

I meant "I love the way, some people are write off Sturridge while talking up Wilshere."

But yea thanks for actually having an input ;)

Who? Where?

I've not seen anyone do that, let alone in here. Why would people be comparing those two players? They don't even play the same position.

Sturridge plays in a position where England currently have a number of good alternative options including one who has come out of nowhere and who scored on his debut last week.

Wilshere is probably the only English midfielder with his particular set of attributes. It's a completely different situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Wilshere with a huge 3 games played for his club this season.

Freshest player in the squad - could be very useful!

Drinkwater has been the other half of a midfield two that just won the league. He's played 30 odd games and is in the form of his life. He may be average but he's probably only behind Dier in the list of DM's who've had a great season. Would have thought he deserved a place in the squad over the likes of wilshere or henderson. The latter is just back from injury, the former has not finished a league game since Sept 2014.
    You attack Hodgsons methods of picking players based on name, yet I think you're doing effectively the same thing with Drinkwater. You want him because he won the league, they might as well play Danny Simpson too then. The reality is he's just not very good and definitely does not suit Englands style of play. I'm not sure why you'd rather bring Drinkwater as, in your own words, a backup, instead of Wilshere who will start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Why is Reus not in the German squad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

injured

Who? Where?

I've not seen anyone do that, let alone in here. Why would people be comparing those two players? They don't even play the same position.

Sturridge plays in a position where England currently have a number of good alternative options including one who has come out of nowhere and who scored on his debut last week.

Wilshere is probably the only English midfielder with his particular set of attributes. It's a completely different situation.

Comparing two injury prone players and the risk of picking them isnt beyond comprehension. In fact the debate of taking one injury prone player has been on going for months now and Wilshere versus Sturridge has been the topic of choice in the media.

Wilshere has the exact same attributes as Barkley Henderson and Milner. You could even mention Del Ali in that position who does the exact same job.

Wilshere is by far the more injury prone and doesnt have the same energy as a couple of the more obvious ones mentioned.

Wilshere does have a better passing range however. But to say that Wilshere is the stand out midfielder is a stretch

For the record I am not saying it is a bad idea to bring Wishere, I like him as a player. I am just saying all this talk about Sturridge shouldnt have been picked and saying Wilshere been picked is a must, is just bonkers.

Sturridge is probably Englands best striking option. No other player has his scoring record (albeit at club level)

Was hoping Sturridge wouldn't make it. Cheers Roy.

On another note, England look a bit short in defence.

Incredibly ordinary looking squad tbh

Any word on if Keane will make the squad?

• Advertisement

Wilshere has the exact same attributes as Barkley Henderson and Milner. You could even mention Del Ali in that position who does the exact same job.
    That's bollocks. Wilshere is nothing like any of those players.

Comparing two injury prone players and the risk of picking them isnt beyond comprehension. In fact the debate of taking one injury prone player has been on going for months now and Wilshere versus Sturridge has been the topic of choice in the media.

Where? When? I've never seen this debate. Have you got a link?

You seem to be attacking people ("everyone") for taking the other side of a debate that only you're having.

Hmmmmm are you absolutely certain you've not got Jack Wilshere mixed up with someone else? He isn't anything like any of those players.

EDIT - that was a little more patronising than I was aiming for, sorry. They're very different footballers though with very different attributes.

You attack Hodgsons methods of picking players based on name, yet I think you're doing effectively the same thing with Drinkwater. You want him because he won the league, they might as well play Danny Simpson too then. The reality is he's just not very good and definitely does not suit Englands style of play. I'm not sure why you'd rather bring Drinkwater as, in your own words, a backup, instead of Wilshere who will start.

You obviously didn't read my post very well then. I gave my reasons why I think Drinkwater should be in the squad but if you want me to spell it out again for you... I mentioned he was part of the best midfield two that won the league. In the form of his life. That hes been the best english defensive midfielder this season bar maybe dier. Plus the fact they only have one recognised DM in the squad. And for those reasons i think he deserves his place in the squad. Wilshere has been injured for the best part of two years, noone knows how long he'll last for. Henderson has been injured on and off all season. Roy is taking out of form and injured players with him. We'll just have to see if he gets away with it.

That's bollocks. Wilshere is nothing like any of those players.
    Where? When? I've never seen this debate. Have you got a link?

No Im pretty sure it wouldnt be hard to find though. I might have a look for it when I get home from work and send it to you if youd like.

There was one debate about it on the sunday supplement

another on one or two of the red tops

Merson also had a rant about it
    You seem to be attacking people ("everyone") for taking the other side of a debate that only you're having.

wow relax buddy Im not attacking anyone I am merely pointing out that both are injury prone.

In fact you yourself claim that Jacks injuries are only knocks when he has almost missed as many games in his career than played.

You say that Jack should be the fittest player in the squad yet he hasnt played a full game for Arsenal in how long??

Others have mentioned that Sturridge couldnt be risked as he cant be trusted to stay fit.

That is double standards right there
    Hmmmmm are you absolutely certain you've not got Jack Wilshere mixed up with someone else? He isn't anything like any of those players.

Wow you guys take these things personally.

So tell me what does Wilshere add that the other doent??
    He isnt good at defending - just like the others I named
    He has a good pass - possibly better than most of those I named (albeit Milner crossing is better if he uses his left foot)
    He has no pace - like the others

a couple of others have more energy than him other than that what is the difference??

what does Jack have that Jordan doesnt??

*Im not trying to wind you up or anything for what its worth. Again I like Jack and would pick him. I was purely alluding to a debate which I assumed you where clued in on and thought you where referring to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'd agree with the argument that the England squad looks very much to have been picked on reputation. I don't think Hodgson was rated very highly by most in the first place though and I wouldn't be expecting England to go past the quarters. I actually think it might end up being earlier. My suspicious is they'll start Stones and get murdered.

Wilshere has an ability to control a football, take a touch and play a pass. It sounds simple but English midfielders don't tend to have that. He is a technique player as opposed to the honest, hard-working, physical midfielder that we've tended to produce.

Hodgson seem him as a 'Xavi'-style player and played him all the way through qualifying - and again on Friday - far deeper than he plays at Arsenal. Hodgson wants him to take the ball off of the defenders and get England playing from deep. He doesn't want him to play the 40 yard Hollywood passes or drive from midfield like a Gerrard or Lampard.

You could argue whether that is the best use of him and I don't think it is really where Wilshere wants to play - several of Wilshere's injuries have been from him throwing himself into tackles and trying to play the 'English' way but I'm surprised anyone can look at Wilshere and see a player with the skillset of a Jordan Henderson or James Milner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

there is no debate on Wilshere. if fit, he's England's best midfielder bar maybe Alli, whose more of a forward anyway.

at least with Sturridge, you have Kane, Rooney and Vardy who can all offer something at least on par, if not better than him.

England have nobody else like Wilshere. he was nailed on from the moment he regained fitness, and it's 100% the right call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Very surprised by Drinkwater's omission and Rashford's inclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Drinkwater has been a better player than Wilshere this season because he actually played games, and well, this season.

Wilshere played three times and hasn't proved himself since his injury.

Jordan Henderson had a very poor season too. Agreed with others about Barkley, he did ok for a while this season but was awful for the last couple of months.

Drinkwater should be ahead of those three imo. I'd probably still have had Wilshere there ahead of Barkley although that would be a close call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

If you go by the stats only Barkley as an England midfielder has performed better than Noble and Drinkwater this season. And Barkley's form dipped off massively for the last few months.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/west-ham-fans-really-cant-get-over-mark-noble-not-being-in-the-england-squad-737952.html

I have to agree. They've every right to feel aggrieved.

Advertisement