Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 Squads

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

eagle eye wrote: »
    Drinkwater has been a better player than Wilshere this season because he actually played games, and well, this season.

Wilshere played three times and hasn't proved himself since his injury.

Jordan Henderson had a very poor season too. Agreed with others about Barkley, he did ok for a while this season but was awful for the last couple of months.

Drinkwater should be ahead of those three imo. I'd probably still have had Wilshere there ahead of Barkley although that would be a close call.

Playing for England, or any other international side, isn't a reward for a strong club season. Every international manager should pick his best players, not the flavour of the month.

I don't get why anyone would need to 'prove' themselves after a leg break. I'm sure the physios at England and Arsenal know how the recovery went and it is rarely an injury that causes a change in a player unless it is a David Busst-esque horror leg snap which Wilshere's wasn't.

It was a clean leg break which is now healed. Had he been a month later coming back from it I could see the issue but he wasn't and I can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Playing for England, or any other international side, isn't a reward for a strong club season. Every international manager should pick his best players, not the flavour of the month.

I don't get why anyone would need to 'prove' themselves after a leg break. I'm sure the physios at England and Arsenal know how the recovery went and it is rarely an injury that causes a change in a player unless it is a David Busst-esque horror leg snap which Wilshere's wasn't.

It was a clean leg break which is now healed. Had he been a month later coming back from it I could see the issue but he wasn't and I can't.

You don't get why somebody would have to prove themselves after being out for a whole season?

It's not a reward for having a good season either, it means you are the player that is the best choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Spain squad for the Euros, no Saul Niguez is the big story

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Porto), David De Gea (Man United), Sergio Rico (Sevilla).

Defenders: Gerard Pique, Jordi Alba, Marc Bartra (all Barcelona), Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Mikel San Jose (Athletic Bilbao), Hector Bellerin (Arsenal).

Midfielders: Bruno (Villarreal), Sergio Busquets, Andres Iniesta (both Barcelona), Thiago (Bayern Munich), David Silva (Manchester City), Pedro, Cesc Fabregas (both Chelsea).

Forwards: Aritz Aduriz (Athletic Bilbao), Nolito (Celta Vigo), Alvaro Morata (Juventus).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

This thread was a good read until it bacame all about the english team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

You don't get why somebody would have to prove themselves after being out for a whole season?

It's not a reward for having a good season either, it means you are the player that is the best choice.

Why would Wilshere have to prove himself? Hodgson already knows what he can do, that's why he's included. If it's a choice between bringing a talented player that played no games this season or a less talented player that played all the games, I know which one I'd be choosing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Wales Euro 2016 squad:

Goalkeepers: Wayne Hennessey (Crystal Palace), Danny Ward (Liverpool), Owain Fon Williams (Inverness).

Defenders: Ben Davies (Tottenham Hotspur), Neil Taylor (Swansea City), Chris Gunter (Reading), Ashley Williams (Captain, Swansea), James Chester (West Brom), Ashley Richards (Fulham), James Collins (West Ham).

Midfielders: Aaron Ramsey (Arsenal), Joe Ledley (Crystal Palace), David Vaughan (Nottingham Forest), Joe Allen (Liverpool), Jonathan Williams (Crystal Palace), George Williams (Fulham), Andy King (Leicester), Dave Edwards (Wolves).

Forwards: Gareth Bale (Real Madrid), Hal Robson-Kanu (Reading), Sam Vokes (Burnley), Simon Church (MK Dons), David Cotterill (Birmingham City)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

ERG89 wrote: »

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Porto), David De Gea (Man United), Sergio Rico (Sevilla).

Defenders: Gerard Pique, Jordi Alba, Marc Bartra (all Barcelona), Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Mikel San Jose (Athletic Bilbao), Hector Bellerin (Arsenal).

Midfielders: Bruno (Villarreal), Sergio Busquets, Andres Iniesta (both Barcelona), Thiago (Bayern Munich), David Silva (Manchester City), Pedro, Cesc Fabregas (both Chelsea).

Forwards: Aritz Aduriz (Athletic Bilbao), Nolito (Celta Vigo), Alvaro Morata (Juventus).

No Ramos?

Are you sure that's correct?

Edit: No Real or Atletico players at all, can't be the final squad.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

mackeire wrote: »
    This thread was a good read until it bacame all about the english team!

True, sorry. Back to the England thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

No Ramos?

Nah Spain think they can win it with 20 players and none from 2 of their 3 biggest clubs. Making it a challenge after the last 2 :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

ERG89 wrote: »

I think it's a joke Paco Alcacer isn't in the squad at all (ahead of Pedro perhaps).

Alba and Juanfran will be busy on the wings for the tournament I'd imagine. Can't see Nolito starting, so that midfield will be lacking in pace.

• Advertisement

No Ramos?

Sorry I musn't have typed them in.
    Thats the oversized image of the squad.
    http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/GOAL/c0/d0/euro-2016-squad_rewctwd5onpi11uoojndso7y9.jpg?t=130707245

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

14647157352995.jpg

Italy squad for Euro 2016: 1 Buffon, 2 De Sciglio, 3 Chiellini, 4 Darmian, 5 Ogbonna, 6 Candreva, 7 Zaza, 8 Florenzi, 9 Pelle', 10 Motta, 11 Immobile, 12 Sirigu, 13 Marchetti, 14 Sturaro, 15 Barzagli, 16 De Rossi, 17 Eder, 18 Parolo, 19 Bonucci, 20 Insigne, 21 Bernardeschi, 22 El Shaarawy, 23 Giaccherini

Reserves: Benassi, Rugani, Zappacosta

Think he made a few mistakes in that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Who will lead the line (or is likely to) for Spain?

Who will lead the line (or is likely to) for Spain?

Morata 100% with a flat midfield behind him I'd say.

I think Aritz Aduriz has a chance of being the striker in that team. He has had two great years for his club and imo he is better than Morata. He is like fine wine, improving with age. He is 35 years old now and has just had the best two seasons of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

NIMAN wrote: »
    .... that topped its qualifying group.

and hammered Belarus :eek:

I think Aritz Aduriz has a chance of being the striker in that team. He has had two great years for his club and imo he is better than Morata. He is like fine wine, improving with age. He is 35 years old now and has just had the best two seasons of his career.

I don't think there's a hope Aduriz will be starting.

callaway92 wrote: »
    I don't think there's a hope Aduriz will be starting.
    Why? He has certainly got plenty of game time in their recent friendlies and has played well too.

Why? He has certainly got plenty of game time in their recent friendlies and has played well too.

Ya he has been unreal and I'm a big fan of him but the way they will be lining up the midfield is more suitable for a Morata type player up front.

I think we will see very little crosses from the wing and more link up play which suits Morata.

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    Ya he has been unreal and I'm a big fan of him but the way they will be lining up the midfield is more suitable for a Morata type player up front.

I think we will see very little crosses from the wing and more link up play which suits Morata.
    I think it's more likely we see Morata play as a wide forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

14647157352995.jpg
    Still don't think that is the correct squad - seems to have 3 RBs?

Still don't think that is the correct squad - seems to have 3 RBs?

Could be taking Azpilicueta as LB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Edit I'm wrong it is - I was mixing up Dani Carvajal and Juanfran. Still seems a bit defence heavy, you have four players can play almost naturally RB (Bellerin, Juanfran, Azpi, and Bartra) and then still have Azpi LB cover. Would have taken a defender less.

Edit I'm wrong it is - I was mixing up Dani Carvajal and Juanfran. Still seems a bit defence heavy, you have four players can play almost naturally RB (Bellerin, Juanfran, Azpi, and Bartra) and then still have Azpi LB cover. Would have taken a defender less.

Yeah because he can play both very well, just leave him as the cover for LB/RB. Frees up a midfielder spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Loads of big names not picked like Isco, Cazorla, Diego Costa and Mata but most significant is Saul tbh. Very poor call there.

Andre 3000 wrote: »
    Loads of big names not picked like Isco, Cazorla, Diego Costa and Mata but most significant is Saul tbh. Very poor call there.
    Yeah and Koke too. It's very hard to pick a midfild though, they have a lot of talent. While Pedro didn't have a great year it's hard to drop him considering how many times he has come up trumps for his country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Yeah and Koke too. It's very hard to pick a midfild though, they have a lot of talent. While Pedro didn't have a great year it's hard to drop him considering how many times he has come up trumps for his country.

Koke was picked. Pedro's a handy player to have as an emergency forward if things go t*ts up, so I can see reason behind his call. But leaving Saul out is crazy after he was one of the best midfielders in Europe all season and offers something different to the typical Spanish midfielder. Certainly a few lads were picked based on the name alone and not on current form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Players at the euros league(division) by league

Premier League 105
    Bundesliga 57
    Serie A 52
    Süper Lig 36
    Primera División 34
    Premier Liga 32
    Championship 29
    Ligue 1 22
    Premier Liga 20
    Raiffeisen Super League 16
    Ekstraklasa 15
    Gambrinus Liga 13
    Nemzeti Bajnokság 13
    Primeira Liga 10
    1.HNL 10
    Allsvenskan 10
    Liga 1 9
    Liga 1 - Meisterrunde 9
    2.Bundesliga 8
    Superligaen 6
    Scottish Premiership 6
    Jupiler Pro League 5
    Super League 5
    Serie B 4
    League One 4
    Corgon liga 4
    Bulgarischer Supercup 3
    A Grupa 3
    Qatar Stars League 3
    Major League Soccer 3
    Eredivisie 2
    Bundesliga 2
    Tippeligaen 2
    Liga MX Apertura 1
    Liga MX Clausura 1
    Chinese Super League 1
    Segunda División 1
    Ligat ha Al 1
    Saudi Professional League 1
    A-League 1
    Premyer Liqasi 1
    Premier Liga 1
    IFA Premiership 1
    1.Divisjon 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Players at the euros league(division) by league

Premier League 105
    Bundesliga 57
    Serie A 52
    S per Lig 36
    Primera Divisi n 34
    Premier Liga 32
    Championship 29
    Ligue 1 22
    Premier Liga 20
    Raiffeisen Super League 16
    Ekstraklasa 15
    Gambrinus Liga 13
    Nemzeti Bajnoks g 13
    Primeira Liga 10
    1.HNL 10
    Allsvenskan 10
    Liga 1 9
    Liga 1 - Meisterrunde 9
    2.Bundesliga 8
    Superligaen 6
    Scottish Premiership 6
    Jupiler Pro League 5
    Super League 5
    Serie B 4
    League One 4
    Corgon liga 4
    Bulgarischer Supercup 3
    A Grupa 3
    Qatar Stars League 3
    Major League Soccer 3
    Eredivisie 2
    Bundesliga 2
    Tippeligaen 2
    Liga MX Apertura 1
    Liga MX Clausura 1
    Chinese Super League 1
    Segunda Divisi n 1
    Ligat ha Al 1
    Saudi Professional League 1
    A-League 1
    Premyer Liqasi 1
    Premier Liga 1
    IFA Premiership 1
    1.Divisjon 1

That eredisive stat is shocking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Crazy to see The Championship ahead of Ligue 1. I suppose that's helped by Ireland, Northern Ireland and Wales getting there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

That really is a horrific squad
    Cake Man wrote: »
    Would like to take this opportunity to wish them the absolute worst.
    Johner wrote: »
    There's no danger of them getting any points, Germany, Poland and Ukraine will beat them pretty comfortably.
    I fully echo this sentiment, hope they get wiped out over there.

So Yummy and Sweet

kBH1G.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Tbh ye were lucky to have the worst team in your group which helped ye get out. Ye were muck against Poland and muck yesterday but I'd be happy for Ireland to be muck tonight and get thru. Muck for luck as they say.

Enjoy the extra week in France!

• Advertisement
Advertisement