Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fees on Visa Card Usage when abroad

Options
  • 12-05-2016 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I checked out 365 for information

This is what I found it-
    However I am finding it very difficult to understand in simple English

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]ATM transactions in euro within the EU and certain non-EU countries to which the relevant EU regulations apply are charged at the same rate as domestic ATM transactions. Where account transaction fees are free as part of a package these euro transactions are also free. All other transactions are charged as follows and are not included free as part of any packages or fee waivers:-[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]ATM - 3.5% of transaction.
    Min €3.17/Max €11.43 per transaction[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]Would you be able to a explain it a little more clearly?[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]What account transactions are free?[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]What are the certain Non -Eu countries outlined above?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]Cheers[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]Y[/font]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara P

youngblood wrote: »
    Hi there

This is what I found it-

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]ATM transactions in euro within the EU and certain non-EU countries to which the relevant EU regulations apply are charged at the same rate as domestic ATM transactions. Where account transaction fees are free as part of a package these euro transactions are also free. All other transactions are charged as follows and are not included free as part of any packages or fee waivers:-[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]Would you be able to a explain it a little more clearly?[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]What account transactions are free?[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif]What are the certain Non -Eu countries outlined above?[/font]

Hi,

Thank you for you post here on Boards.ie.

In answer to your queries, Non-EU countries would be countries in the European economic area that don’t use the euro currency. Examples of these would be the UK & Sweden.

Account transactions that are free would be if you avail of free banking, an example of this would be if you leave a minimum credit balance of €3,000 in your current account throughout the full fee quarter we will not charge you quarterly account transaction fees.

Just to mention that transaction fees are different to cross border fees which will be charged when using your debit card for any currency other than euro.

The charges are:

ATM - 3.5% of transaction.
    Min €3.17/Max €11.43 per transaction

Thanks,

Tara C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Hi there

This is what I found it-

Hi,

In answer to your queries, Non-EU countries would be countries in the European economic area that don’t use the euro currency. Examples of these would be the UK & Sweden.

Account transactions that are free would be if you avail of free banking, an example of this would be if you leave a minimum credit balance of €3,000 in your current account throughout the full fee quarter we will not charge you quarterly account transaction fees.

Just to mention that transaction fees are different to cross border fees which will be charged when using your debit card for any currency other than euro.

The charges are:

Thanks,

Tara C
    Thanks Tara

For point of sale transactions-like using your card in shops/restaurants for payment, are these charged at the same rate as home or 3.5% of transaction?

Also when presented with the option of paying in euros or the currency of the country your in,what would be your advice?

Which would be most favourable?

Cheers
    Y

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara P

Hi there

This is what I found it-

Hi,

The charges are:

Thanks,

Tara C
    Thanks Tara

For point of sale transactions-like using your card in shops/restaurants for payment, are these charged at the same rate as home or 3.5% of transaction?

Also when presented with the option of paying in euros or the currency of the country your in,what would be your advice?

Which would be most favourable?

Cheers
    Y
    Hi,

Thank you for your post here.

See page 11 here for information on charges using your Visa debit card at point of sale abroad.

To check what currency you would benefit more paying with you will need to check with the retailer what exchange rate they are giving you against Visa’s exchange rate which can be found here.

Also just to mention you can give travel notice by sending the dates you are away via the Online Service desk 'Ask a Question' option on Banking 365 Online.

Thanks,

Tara C

Advertisement