Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving RAID disks between machines

Options
  • 12-05-2016 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

I have 4 SSD's connected to a machine which form a 4TB RAID.
    I want to move data on a daily basis between two machines so rather than copying with hard drives I want to just move the 4 SSD's
    When I do this, they show as foreign disks on the other machine.
    I right click import foreign disk and the RAID shows perfectly.

I'm wondering is there a way of avoiding he import foreign disk step or is there a better option of doing what I'm doing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

boardzz wrote: »
    or is there a better option of doing what I'm doing.

Definitely. You're asking for trouble even just reconnecting SATA cables that regularly, they arent rated for it. Nevermind a bad bit and having to rebuild.

How big is the dataset? 1-2TB? GigEthernet would normally be enough and if its not 10G isnt that expensive now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

that's sounds crazy. I'm presuming that it's a Windows Software RAID? Like Ed, I think moving RAID disks is asking for trouble. I would also be thinking about some solution that used speedy Ethernet, either 1Gbps or 10Gbps network adapters and switches.

When you say "data", is this just separate files like doc and xls, or is it something that is client/server like an SQL database?

Advertisement