Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Sale/Renting

Options
  • 12-05-2016 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Im sure I read similar on here before but i cant find any threads in my search.

My friend had a call from her landlord yesterday saying he had to give her notice that the bank were forcing him to sell. Everything was very nice and all that. She is only there 2 months. So she could stall it there until the sale goes through or move out immediatly, but my question is, does she have to go or can she see out her contract which would be another 10 months.
    So even if the bank sale goes through lets say for argument sake in two months, does she have to move out then?
    There is nothing in her contract about having to move out if the house sells. I'm thinking because she is only there for 2 months now she has to move out for the sale to go though/when the sale goes through, but not sure if my advice is correct?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Legally... we can't do legally and even if we could there are practicalities to any legal situation.

Practically start looking and get out as soon as possible to settle somewhere else but there is some leeway. Try and keep everything on an amicable level with the LL but bear in mind the LL should be making allowances for viewings, such as a small reduction in rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭mel123

Never thought of a rent reduction, thanks for the tip.
    In fairness LL is very nice, and she has no ill will towards him, she is just wondering if she stays what can the bank actually do her to. would they have to give her notice then once the sale goes through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

mel123 wrote: »
    Never thought of a rent reduction, thanks for the tip.
    In fairness LL is very nice, and she has no ill will towards him, she is just wondering if she stays what can the bank actually do her to. would they have to give her notice then once the sale goes through?

The LL can give notice, and probably will have too as vacant possession is normally required. If a receiver is appointed it's anyone's guess what happens next. They could potentially illegally evict the tenant who would have very little recourse. That's unlikely but I'd expect a lot of hassling letters possible visits and uncertainty of who to pay the rent to.

Any notice would be given before the sale is finalised and there is no right of the tenant to see any proof that a sale is going through, only that they have first refusal on re-renting if the sale does not go through.

Advertisement