Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with employer in IT company(probation got extended)

Options
  • 12-05-2016 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

I'm in a big problem.

Six months back joined an IT company as Sr.Test Analyst who recruited me for permanent position and sent me to client for a contract. So from all these 6months I have been working with one client who put me into their third project so far. I have performed extra duties apart from said ones and also took initiative in implementing some more works but didn't get a chance to sit with manager to review these as they never put a team brief or one on ones.

Suddenly since its six months HR called me so I though they are making me permanent but shocked to see that my probation got extended for three more months and if my objectives are not achieved I could be terminated. I'm honest here that the client am working with there the Engagement manager did say I did ok during probation when I was curious to know what is their feedback on this.

He also agreed to clarify this with my employer and asked to add some documents to support. But at this point of time its a great pain to take it and am losing focus as well as I have worked for renowned company for 10years never had an issue like this.

Has anyone faced these type of problems and overcome them if any suggestions would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

memomtoo wrote: »
    I'm in a big problem.

Six months back joined an IT company as Sr.Test Analyst who recruited me for permanent position and sent me to client for a contract. So from all these 6months I have been working with one client who put me into their third project so far. I have performed extra duties apart from said ones and also took initiative in implementing some more works but didn't get a chance to sit with manager to review these as they never put a team brief or one on ones.

Suddenly since its six months HR called me so I though they are making me permanent but shocked to see that my probation got extended for three more months and if my objectives are not achieved I could be terminated. I'm honest here that the client am working with there the Engagement manager did say I did ok during probation when I was curious to know what is their feedback on this.

He also agreed to clarify this with my employer and asked to add some documents to support. But at this point of time its a great pain to take it and am losing focus as well as I have worked for renowned company for 10years never had an issue like this.

Has anyone faced these type of problems and overcome them if any suggestions would be great.

Just on the bits I've bolded, who are you talking about here? The manager in the company you work for or the manager in the company you are onsite with?

Basically what you need to do here is sit down with whoever is your HR manager in your company that you have a contract with, and work out a plan to improve your performance over the next three months.

It sounds to me like you didn't have proper objectives from the start and you need to get that resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭memomtoo

I'm talking about the manager I'm working for has decided to extend my probation, it feels stressful as without clarifying with me about what was done with client they cannot straight away take this decision right. Without feeling satisfied with my works my current manager onsite would not continue for the third project as well.

Now HR sent out written notice about extension and might be terminated if objectives are not up to date.

I have been sitting with my onsite manager and shared all of my extra works done, documented with proofs that are sent out for a review by employer. But this is disrespectful and feels so down at work now. I cannot even change company that easily as am settled with family children. You know yourself its not that easy to move but with this employer I had confidence that my chosen career will be supported as well. I wanted to move to Business analyst type of roles for which they promised to place me into suitability as well. Now this is a big shock.
    My onsite manager hardly had any team brief with us or one on ones for me to go through review

Onsite manager at client location said will also support a call/conference with my employer to clarify this

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm talking about the manager I'm working for has decided to extend my probation, it feels stressful as without clarifying with me about what was done with client they cannot straight away take this decision right. Without feeling satisfied with my works my current manager onsite would not continue for the third project as well.

Now HR sent out written notice about extension and might be terminated if objectives are not up to date.

I have been sitting with my onsite manager and shared all of my extra works done, documented with proofs that are sent out for a review by employer. But this is disrespectful and feels so down at work now. I cannot even change company that easily as am settled with family children. You know yourself its not that easy to move but with this employer I had confidence that my chosen career will be supported as well. I wanted to move to Business analyst type of roles for which they promised to place me into suitability as well. Now this is a big shock.
    My onsite manager hardly had any team brief with us or one on ones for me to go through review

It's the manager you work for who has extended your probation that you need to be talking to, not the manager of the company you are onsite with.

It could actually look quite bad for you to be sitting with the onsite manager if they are an employee of the company to whom you have been sent and not an employee of your own company.

Stheno wrote: »
    It's the manager you work for who has extended your probation that you need to be talking to, not the manager of the company you are onsite with.

It could actually look quite bad for you to be sitting with the onsite manager if they are an employee of the company to whom you have been sent and not an employee of your own company.

The manager at client location is an Engagement manager of the employer as well. He deals with employees of our company who actually offered me.
    The reason why I had to chat with onsite manager(nothing but engagement manager) was because he gave feedback after probation to my main employer. I only clarified and he sounded very positive about me when I took my objectives that are performed by me.
    I emailed my main manager who hired me with these objectives listed and requested a meeting to sit and talk about these.

Its making me sleepless because I never come across this type of situation and confused what to do and how to deal with this softly

• Advertisement

I emailed my main manager who hired me with these objectives listed and requested a meeting to sit and talk about these.

This is all you need to do.

Yeah at this short span of time I was attempting to do all that I can do to win back but losing integrity is a big mark if I want to upgrade my career. It scares to run the extension smoothly

Yeah at this short span of time I was attempting to do all that I can do to win back but losing integrity is a big mark if I want to upgrade my career. It scares to run the extension smoothly

Just meet with the manager who makes decisions about whether or not you get made permanent, agree clear objectives, and work to make sure you are achieving them, and make sure you meet regularly with this manager.

Your primary focus now should be getting made permanent, not getting a promotion, you shouldn't be expecting to move up for at least 18 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Absolutely and the first thing I would ask is how a probation period can get extended for 3 months. That makes no sense. You either "passed" probation or you didn't. If you didn't, you need to know exactly what objectives you missed and why your manager did not clearly outline them.
    Personally I would ask the onsite customer manager what his feedback was.

Absolutely and the first thing I would ask is how a probation period can get extended for 3 months. That makes no sense. You either "passed" probation or you didn't. If you didn't, you need to know exactly what objectives you missed and why your manager did not clearly outline them.

It's usually in cases where an employee is performing at the low end of what is acceptable, but is not so bad that they are unredeemable, I've seen it happen a few times.

One area I'd be concerned about is the op saying that they have done lots of extra work.

While they may think that's a good thing, their employer may view it as not sticking to the scope of the contract, and essentially working for the client for free outside the scope of the contract, and therefore denying the employer the opportunity to add to the value of the contract/sell additional services.

• Advertisement

Sounds like am on the pace now, Yes I have discussed things with onsite manager and taking his support(as he knew I did fulfil more than 85% objectives listed), emailed main manager and asked to give me a time to talk about it.

The reason why I mentioned about upgrade is, initially when my main manager hired me he said because of some much experience in a big IT company sector I'm likely to takeup additional responsibilities once cleared probation. So I was with positive thought.

The reason why I mentioned about upgrade is, initially when my main manager hired me he said because of some much experience in a big IT company sector I'm likely to takeup additional responsibilities once cleared probation. So I was with positive thought.

additional responsibilities does not mean promotion from test analyst to BA after six months, in my experience that would almost never ever happen in a big IT company sending staff onsite to clients.

It sounds a little like you had unrealistic expectations here.

Also if you achieved 85% of your objectives, then you didn't achieve 15% of them which is almost 1/6th of what you do. At a minimum I'd be expecting a new hire to achieve all of their objectives to get a rating of average, less than 100% would get a poor rating, and less than say 70% and probation wouldn't be extended at all.

For a good or excellent rating, 100% of objectives achieved and exceptional performance would be required.

additional responsibilities does not mean promotion from test analyst to BA after six months, in my experience that would almost never ever happen in a big IT company sending staff onsite to clients.

It sounds a little like you had unrealistic expectations here.

I have masters in Innovation Tech and done several certifications in scrum master, BA, few more to mention.
    Even in previous experience I took up some additional proven responsibilities so was encouraged by this manager who hired me. I have been truly realistic here, trust me

I have masters in Innovation Tech and done several certifications in scrum master, BA, few more to mention.
    Even in previous experience I took up some additional proven responsibilities so was encouraged by this manager who hired me. I have been truly realistic here, trust me

See my edited post.

But this one-on-one with main manager sometimes this or next week is the most important meeting of my life. Is someone experienced in making sure what are most important things to discuss?

In their objectives one was about also involving in mentoring new employees but to be honest the client system tools are so complex that it took time to gain proficiency, even the current coworkers who work there from years say it isn't easy to pickup in six months so I wanted to go more organized by focus tasking at first

e

Qualifications are great, but without experience they are just proof that you have studied something.

From your post history over the past three years, you have posted a lot about customer service roles etc, do you have much experience of BA/Testing?
    But this one-on-one with main manager sometimes this or next week is the most important meeting of my life. Is someone experienced in making sure what are most important things to discuss?

In their objectives one was about also involving in mentoring new employees but to be honest the client system tools are so complex that it took time to gain proficiency, even the current coworkers who work there from years say it isn't easy to pickup in six months so I wanted to go more organized by focus tasking at first

So what you are saying in the bolded piece is that you chose not to achieve that objective!!!

Your manager is not going to be happy to hear that a. it has taken you more than six months to adapt to the tools being used, and b. that because your colleagues in the client organisation said it isn't easy to pick up, you chose to focus on other tasks.

You need to go in with your objectives, go through them with your manager, and for the ones you didn't/couldn't achieve, agree to put a performance improvement plan in place for the next three months and review it with your manager every month.

From your post history over the past three years, you have posted a lot about customer service roles etc, do you have much experience of BA/Testing?

Sorry only realised my wife's account was auto logged in and I was thinking am already logged in here with mine. This is genuine post guys!

Sorry only realised my wife's account was auto logged in and I was thinking am already logged in here with mine. This is genuine post guys!

Well if it is, then do as I've suggested in relation to your meeting with your manager. Then once you have your improvement plan, work to achieve everything on it.

Well if it is, then do as I've suggested in relation to your meeting with your manager. Then once you have your improvement plan, work to achieve everything on it.

Yes, all are sent out yesterday and am glad that onsite manager supported me by updating some of my works mentioned as well. But I have heard from few people that once the decision is made about extension they would not take it back to reconsider, this will be a remark to my career it feels like.
    Just last month my employer said will put me into career training for BA so once I finish my project with onsite manager he could find a suitable client for the next with BA. But shocked me two wks back by cancelling training program and lost hope if he will forward me anywhere. I understand living safe is the main thing to expect at this time. I was thinking will be permanent so will get paternity leave as my wife is managing all alone, I would not be eligible for the leave as well.
    Tough life now from both sides.

Since I started my thread here, I will post back the update so its helpful for another person who encountered this type of situation again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

A probationary extension usually means the employee is not meeting standards or objectives set out by the employer from the outset. You should be provided with documentation outlining what points you are failing or struggling with, so you know how to address them going forward for the next three months.

If it's a shock, and if there is no documentation or reasons being provided, then this "could" be that snakey situation whereby a company is trying to maximise your work for a specific period. You mention you work onsite, so most likely your employer takes on numerous staff to then send onsite to bill them. It's not uncommon for staff to be taken on to meet a short term workload increase, have their probation extended, and then be let go without being made permenant. Especially in the testing/Q&A/UAT areas of IT.

So definitely l would be looking to get specific points in writing as to where you are falling down(in your employers eyes) and see if there is merit in those points, and if so, work to improve them.

As someone else said, pulling the client into this to back you up is a stupid move, and probably(if you have done it) has already made your employers mind up about your longterm prospects. Take it as a lesson learned, but never bring the client into an employee / employer dispute. It's unprofessional, embarrasses the vendor and opens the client up to operational stuff they should not be seeing, that will likely impact future decision making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Solution: Get a different job

If this were me I would say "I want a permanent contract now, or see ya later". Its not good enough to extend the probation, especally when you seem like you have been doing a good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

suck it up and use the 3 months to find a new job. Seriously your whole situation stinks. You must meet vague objectives or be out of a job. Your employer is pimping you out to another company who have you working overtime with no pay. You have two managers, one onsite and another who doesn't even have scope on what work you are doing but who also gets to set ridiculous demands or face the dole queue. If you can afford it I would leave now. Otherwise as I said, sit it out until you find something else.

Advertisement