Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making more use of the river Shannon in Limerick

• 12-05-2016 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Thought this might be an interesting topic.

Do you think we make the most of the river in Limerick? Looking at the events put on during Riverfest - wakeboarding, jet skiing, kayaking etc it occurred to me that you never really see much activity on the river.

Why is this? Now I know that GetWest and Nevsail do kayaking tours but surely there is a lot more opportunity here, especially during the spring, summer and autumn months.

Wouldn't it be great to see waterbus tours taking tourists from the city out towards Foynes etc.

Whatever happened to that Hovercraft that was supposed to be coming to Limerick? Remember reading something about that in the Leader a few years ago.

Anyway, few thoughts to get the ball rolling...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/old-canal-barge-to-be-restored-by-young-offenders-283387.html

I remember this article from a couple of years ago but not sure anything came about from it, sounded like a good idea too. The below article also came up when looking for the first one. It's from four years ago but never remember reading anything about it.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business-news/137651/New--1m-river-bus-to.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

They sound like great ideas! What ever happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

There was hover craft tours on the river about 20 yrs ago ... very few went on it even though twas a fine gob

lab man wrote: »
    There was hover craft tours on the river about 20 yrs ago ... very few went on it even though twas a fine gob

I never knew that. Doesn't mean it couldn't work again though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Not too sure really but I know Limerick City Build are in the former Cahill May Roberts building next to the granary, whether they got the founds to build it or not I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Stephenc66

Red King wrote: »

Do you think we make the most of the river in Limerick? Looking at the events put on during Riverfest - wakeboarding, jet skiing, kayaking etc it occurred to me that you never really see much activity on the river.

What kind of public access is there to the river in terms of launching slips for boats and jet skies?

Also parking for vehicles and trailers once the boat is launched?

If there is a lack of these kind of facilities it could be why you don't see them?

Stephenc66 wrote: »
    What kind of public access is there to the river in terms of launching slips for boats and jet skies?

If there is a lack of these kind of facilities it could be why you don't see them?

No idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

The main "public" slipway is on O'Callaghan Strand. Local Bye-laws ban the use of jet-ski's though.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

Why is this? Now I know that GetWest and Nevsail do kayaking tours but surely there is a lot more opportunity here, especially during the spring, summer and autumn months.

Wouldn't it be great to see waterbus tours taking tourists from the city out towards Foynes etc.

Whatever happened to that Hovercraft that was supposed to be coming to Limerick? Remember reading something about that in the Leader a few years ago.

Anyway, few thoughts to get the ball rolling...

It's totally under used IMO. Cities around the world which were developed around a river like ours was still use the river as a tourist attraction with river tours like you suggested and also have Marinas with boats docked there regularly. It's an awful pity we don't use it to its full potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

It really needs a tidal lock system in line with the shipping exit from the Docks so that activities are not tide dependant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/old-canal-barge-to-be-restored-by-young-offenders-283387.html

I remember this article from a couple of years ago but not sure anything came about from it, sounded like a good idea too. The below article also came up when looking for the first one. It's from four years ago but never remember reading anything about it.

I'd imagine it's still being restored or the restoration hasn't started yet. Last article I can find on it is from April 2015 which is only a year ago
    http://www.ilovelimerick.ie/2015/limerick-city-build-voice-of-the-river/
    There's a contact email for Limerick City Build there if anyone cares to query it.

Has anyone ever heard of the 'Culture Cruise' that's mentioned in the article? Can't say I have.

Looks like this one never happened. For one it has always been my understanding that no boats are allowed near Ardncrusha when more than one turbine is operational as it's too dangerous. Maybe that killed it.
    mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    The main "public" slipway is on O'Callaghan Strand. Local Bye-laws ban the use of jet-ski's though.

The banning of Jet Ski's should probably be relaxed for the summer season. It'd also be fantastic to see a proper Marina in the city centre, the docks area behind the Clarion would be ideal for it and would rejuvenate the area. I don't know enough about waterways and tidal requirements though to know for sure if any of that is possible or could be made possible without huge investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Limerick City Build sounds similar to the Ilen Boat Building project in the LEDP http://www.ilen.ie/
    They have been working with a number of local charities over the last few years encouraging people to learn traditional boat building techniques. I often see them on the river as well and its wonderful to see these traditional boats on the Shannon.Unfortunately, their funding has been cut significantly over the last years or two.

I think these types of initiatives are great for the Shannon though. It brings back a positive focus to the river and deflects from the damaging association between the river and suicide. The only initiatives I have seen surrounding the Shannon over the last few years are suicide prevention interventions, Lisa's Lights etc. These all really are quite damaging and the focus should be on promoting the River Shannon as the beautiful natural resource that it is right on out doorstep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Jet skis should remain banned from the river in the city, in my opinion. A more ignorant form of leisure activity would be hard to come across. The other river users have serious issues with them.

I think we could do a lot to promote more benign activity such as kayaking and sailing, but you have to remember that the river at Limerick City is highly tidal and quite treacherous at the best of times. This mitigates against the possibilities for using it. The operation of Ardnacrusha power station is also an issue as it regularly releases huge volumes of water that effect the flow.

As for the river bus idea between Athlunkard Bridge and Ardnacrusha, it is almost impossible to do this as long as the power station is in operation. Given the flooding that Ardnacrusha is party to, it's not inconceivable that it will be shut down in the coming years, and that would increase the possibilities for using the river for all kinds of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Close the docks completely and develop the docklands, Westfields, Barrington's Pier and Cleeves around the river and river activities.

They should forget the river bus to Ardnacrusha thing and focus more on a river bus on the main stretch of river.

As regards promoting kayaking - getwest were ordered by the council to remove their advertising.

Maybe someone from Getwest could chip in here and add some more detail on how they have been treated by the council.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

This is a good point. The main public access to the river is the city slip on O'Callaghan Strand, beside St. Michaels Rowing Club It's used mostly by the emergency services, people feeding the swans, and last night I saw people launching a jet ski there. Parking with a trailer is pretty much impossible unless you go later in the evening and park past the rowing club on the left. There is also a private gated slip at the boat club beside The Potato Market. Finally there's a small slip on Clancy strand near the Curragower Falls for canoeists.

With all the protesting to maintain the Curragower Falls - scenically beautiful no doubt, by the kayakers and canoeists, they're not often there. Tides need to be just right to expose the falls.

The massively expensive moorings and access at George's Quay (across from The Locke Bar) were vandalised beyond use within months of installation. All the safety lights, power points etc destroyed. The flow of the river at this point is also a hazard, as is clearance under the bridge, being tidal.

The facilities adjacent to Arthur's Quay have to be kept locked for the same reason, and the man-made weir there is too dangerous to all but the most experienced boat user, as well as being impassible for a lot of the time because it's tidal of course.

Limerick has the largest tidal difference in Ireland and the British Isles, something like 17 feet. This makes it unsuitable for a lot of water activities, river users have to go out when the tide suits them only.

River cruises are pointless in my opinion, as the navigable parts are too short, and once you go past the docks there is literally nothing to see.

Like a facebook relationship status - 'it's complicated'!

g

elastico wrote: »
    It really needs a tidal lock system in line with the shipping exit from the Docks so that activities are not tide dependant.

I don't know enough about this but it sounds like an interesting idea.

How would such a thing work?

phog wrote: »
    Close the docks completely and develop the docklands, Westfields, Barrington's Pier and Cleeves around the river and river activities.

Very good idea, it's a pity these good ideas don't come from city planners and are pushed through and executed.

I drove in the Condell Road the other day, I love the approach to the city from that side, the Riverpoint building is a great sight and gives a modern feel.....don't deviate your line of vision from that building though, Steamboat Quay to the right, the incomplete Hanging Gardens to the left and also the absolutely disgusting piles of scrap metal on the docks.

These scrap metal heaps are an eye sore, they're visible from the dock road and all along the Condell Road, does any one know if there is anything being done by the Council to approach the company responsible about tidying it up?

I don't know enough about this but it sounds like an interesting idea.

How would such a thing work?

This is an idea I came up with some 20 years ago having seen it done in many USA cities. You build a dam downriver (with a locke/lift for fish and boats), creating a 'town lake'. A major issue for some people would be losing the Curragower Falls. A major advantage would be creating a massive safe body of water in the city for recreation and of course, the city looks great when there is a high tide.

g

These scrap metal heaps are an eye sore, they're visible from the dock road and all along the Condell Road, does any one know if there is anything being done by the Council to approach the company responsible about tidying it up?

Hahaha...
    That's someone's business stock, not a dump. It's there waiting to be loaded on a ship to be smelted down somewhere overseas. It's tidy already - a tidy fortune. There's money in sh!t!

g

• Advertisement

godfrey wrote: »
    Hahaha...
    That's someone's business stock, not a dump. It's there waiting to be loaded on a ship to be smelted down somewhere overseas. It's tidy already - a tidy fortune. There's money in sh!t!

g

I understand that but having it so obviously visible on 2 major approach roads to the city is crazy.

"There's money in sh!t".....brilliant :p! When most people make a sh!t though they flush the toilet.....I hope none of it is of as valuable as this sh!t otherwise we're all literally flushing money down the toilet :D!

This is an idea I came up with some 20 years ago having seen it done in many USA cities. You build a dam downriver (with a locke/lift for fish and boats), creating a 'town lake'. A major issue for some people would be losing the Curragower Falls. A major advantage would be creating a massive safe body of water in the city for recreation and of course, the city looks great when there is a high tide.

g

It sounds like a great idea but as you said there isn't a hope in hell that anyone would dare get rid of the Curagower, they're iconic. I wonder would there be a way to accommodate them in some manner?

It is ideas like this that the Council and Bord Failte and the various other quangos should be getting behind and working together on.

No doubt they'd find a way to bollix it up completely though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Stephenc66

g

This has been done many times on the Shannon already a good example being the weir and lock at Athlone

There are 7 locks on the River Shannon,one of which is a double chamber at Ardnacrusha Hydroelectric Power Station. I also believe it is tidal up to the base of the power station. It's possible but at what cost?

This has been done many times on the Shannon already a good example being the weir and lock at Athlone

There are 7 locks on the River Shannon,one of which is a double chamber at Ardnacrusha Hydroelectric Power Station. I also believe it is tidal up to the base of the power station. It's possible but at what cost?

That's the key thing really. There'd be a huge financial cost but also a huge environmental cost, and I just can't see it happening. I don't think having high water at all times in the city for leisure amenities is justification enough for this kind of project.

It sounds like a great idea but as you said there isn't a hope in hell that anyone would dare get rid of the Curagower, they're iconic. I wonder would there be a way to accommodate them in some manner?

Of course there is. The lock gates could be kept permanently open in the winter as there is little leisure use of the river anyway, and lots of flooding to alleviate. Then in summer there could be some arrangement where they are left open some days, so the tide operates as normal in this instance.

Of course there is. The lock gates could be kept permanently open in the winter as there is little leisure use of the river anyway, and lots of flooding to alleviate. Then in summer there could be some arrangement where they are left open some days, so the tide operates as normal in this instance.

Would the dam be used for hydro generation? If so, then there's be a huge incentive to keep the water level high all year round. This is pretty much what's happening with Ardnacrusha at the moment, and hence we've plenty of winter time flooding as a result.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

phog wrote: »

Unfortunately you can't just close the docks. The activity has to go somewhere. Maybe after the new Limerick to Foynes road is built and Foynes port is expanded, but not before then. And that's at least 5 years away.

A major issue would be that when you go down passed the city either side of the river is a massive flood plain. You can't just dam the river which itself is 250m wide at that stage. The cost would be prohibitive. Plus the fact that the the wetlands are a protected SAC.

A major issue would be that when you go down passed the city either side of the river is a massive flood plain. You can't just dam the river which itself is 250m wide at that stage. The cost would be prohibitive. Plus the fact that the the wetlands are a protected SAC.

The dam does not have to affect the flood plains or wetlands. It could be, for example, 1 metre below the level of the current banks and built roughly across the river at barringtons pier, westfields could be drained below that point.

zulutango wrote: »
    Would the dam be used for hydro generation?

I doubt that would be viable.

• Advertisement

I doubt that would be viable.

There's certainly plenty of power to be harnessed. If you're damming the river getting power from it might help make it pay!

Advertisement