Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Hot and sticky in Dublin CC.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another 2 days until normal service resumes, enjoy it while it lasts!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Gonzo wrote: »
    another 2 days until normal service resumes, enjoy it while it lasts!

Pretty normal summer weather here now (in Dublin 16)! Overcast, muggy, and light rain! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Pretty normal summer weather here now (in Dublin 16)! Overcast, muggy, and light rain! :pac:
    Very disappointing. I was expecting a continuation of the warm weather for a few more days but the satellite image doesn't hold much hope.
    I really hate to say this but when thunderstorms bring a long fine spell to end in Ireland it is a very long way back. It is very rare for heatwaves to continue uninterrupted after thunderstorm activity, it only happens during exceptional summers like '89 or '95 for example. Sorry for the negativity but its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Very disappointing. I was expecting a continuation of the warm weather for a few more days but the satellite image doesn't hold much hope.
    I really hate to say this but when thunderstorms bring a long fine spell to end in Ireland it is a very long way back. It is very rare for heatwaves to continue uninterrupted after thunderstorm activity, it only happens during exceptional summers like '89 or '95 for example. Sorry for the negativity but its true.

No sorry because if we wanted that kind of weather, I would be living in Spain right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Not sure I understand your point at all?

We got the second thunder warning yesterday this summery spell, we've had several days of thunder activity, yet somehow this one means that we won't get any more nice weather?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Blue skies and sunshine in the costa del Galway where it's a warm 21.3C at the moment
    Some heavy showers to the north of the city in Moycullen but here it's just sun, sun, sun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Is there much chance of a dry spell next week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

It is still absolutely splendid in Galway at the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

enjoying some time in Galway and the conditions here are great although cloud seems to be rolling closer but so far today has been very warm and sunny.

• Advertisement

It has been cloudy all day so far at Grange with not one peak of sun and very fluctuating temperatures.

One thing I have asked myself is that how often has a warm end to May and start to June been followed by a colder than normal Winter? Well...

2012 - Yes it was followed by a colder than normal Winter (2012/13)
    2011 - Well only the start of June was warm, not the end of May so does not fully qualify for this but was followed by a milder than normal Winter anyways
    2010 - Yes it was followed by a very cold Winter (2010/11)
    2009 - Yes it was followed by a very cold Winter (2009/10)
    2006 - Like 2011

I can't find much warm ends to May... but yeah they're generally followed by a colder than normal Winter.

back home in meath is probably cloudy as well although it is warm and muggy there. Tomorrow has the potential to be the warmest day of the entire spell sunshine depending. Temps back in the teens nationwide from Friday onwards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Wetwipe65

It's been 3+ weeks since I last saw a drop of rain, was threatening this morning but the blue sky has returned in the last hour.

2006 if I recall, had a scorching first week in June, and July was hot and sunny aswell?

Edit: I see now you are only counting late May and Early June? The thing about stats is you can make them tell any story you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

sryanbruen wrote: »
    One thing I have asked myself is that how often has a warm end to May and start to June been followed by a colder than normal Winter? Well...

2012 - Yes it was followed by a colder than normal Winter (2012/13)
    2011 - Well only the start of June was warm, not the end of May so does not fully qualify for this but was followed by a milder than normal Winter anyways
    2010 - Yes it was followed by a very cold Winter (2010/11)
    2009 - Yes it was followed by a very cold Winter (2009/10)
    2006 - Like 2011

I can't find much warm ends to May... but yeah they're generally followed by a colder than normal Winter.

I was thinking the same myself yesterday. I much prefer a cold sharp winter to the mild wet soggy winter we got last year.

I was thinking the same myself yesterday. I much prefer a cold sharp winter to the mild wet soggy winter we got last year.

I really don't care what the weather is like Nov-Feb, its dark going to work and dark coming home so I wouldn't see much of it

Wetwipe65 wrote: »
    2006 if I recall, had a scorching first week in June, and July was hot and sunny aswell?

Edit: I see now you are only counting late May and Early June? The thing about stats is you can make them tell any story you want.

Well having a great first week of June or not even full week, more like start to June has much more variety compared to what I said above. Here's examples:

2013 - Summer was one of the best of the 21st century so far
    2011 - Coldest Summer of the 21st century so far
    2010 - Pretty mixed... June was awesome, July was horrible
    2009 - Horrible Summer... June was a mix of awesome moments and then some horrible moments, July was absolutely terrible, extremely wet!
    2007 - Well... the very start of June was awful but the 4th-11th was a fine spell of weather then June was not nice for the rest of the month whilst July was again horrible
    2006 - Much like 2013, June was very pleasant and July was epic

sryanbruen wrote:
    Well having a great first week of June or not even full week, more like start to June has much more variety compared to what I said above. Here's examples:

sryanbruen wrote:
    2013 - Summer was one of the best of the 21st century so far 2011 - Coldest Summer of the 21st century so far 2010 - Pretty mixed... June was awesome, July was horrible 2009 - Horrible Summer... June was a mix of awesome moments and then some horrible moments, July was absolutely terrible, extremely wet! 2007 - Well... the very start of June was awful but the 4th-11th was a fine spell of weather then June was not nice for the rest of the month whilst July was again horrible 2006 - Much like 2013, June was very pleasant and July was epic

2011 the coldest? Its funny how memory works, As far as I remember, 2011 was a really dry summer? Therefore makes me think it was warm.

I also thought June 2010 was warm sunny and dry for most of the month?

2005- warm and dry

2006- scorching

2007- wash out

2008- wash out

2009- dry and OK

2010- sunny and warm

2011- dry and OK

2012- dry and OK

2013- scorching

2014- scorching but not not as much as 13

2015- cold and dry

How does my memory compare to stats?

• Advertisement

2011 the coldest? Its funny how memory works, As far as I remember, 2011 was a really dry summer? Therefore makes me think it was warm.

I also thought June 2010 was warm sunny and dry for most of the month?

2011 wasn't a really dry Summer:

June - Very showery, cool and sunny.
    July - Rather mixed but many places dry, very cool and dull.
    August - Very cold, dull and mainly dry but again very variable rainfall wise.

Yes, I said June 2010 was an awesome month?? (read my post again) Like for June 2010, we had these periods:

1st-5th: Very sunny, dry and rather warm.
    6th-9th: Horrible, wet and much cooler period.
    10th-12th: Mainly sunny, dry and mild.
    13th: A showery, warm day.
    14th-27th: A long dry spell with lots of sunshine and warm days.
    28th: A rather wet and miserable day in places.
    29th: Mostly sunny, warm and dry.
    30th: An East-West split with the West very wet whilst the East enjoyed a fine sunny day.

sryanbruen wrote:
    Yes, I said June 2010 was an awesome month?? (read my post again) Like for June 2010, we had these periods:

Sorry, I think I have reading issues, this is happening me alot

2005- warm and dry

2006- scorching

2007- wash out

2008- wash out

2009- dry and OK

2010- sunny and warm

2011- dry and OK

2012- dry and OK

2013- scorching

2014- scorching but not not as much as 13

2015- cold and dry

How does my memory compare to stats?

Here's the actual summaries of those summers

2005: Very warm, mostly dry and largely dull.
    2006: Exceptionally warm, dry and sunny.
    2007: Rather sunny and very wet especially in the east (wettest Summer on record at Casement Aerodrome). Pretty average temperatures overall.
    2008: Dull, wet and mild.
    2009: Very wet, mild and sunny.
    2010: Mixed rainfall wise (depends on the July rainfall totals) but warm and sunny.
    2011: Very cold, variable rainfall and largely dull.
    2012: Very wet, dull and cold. (You were well off) (It was the second wettest Summer on record in the UK's records after 1912)
    2013: Warm, dry and sunny.
    2014: Variable rainfall but quite average overall, warm and mostly sunny.
    2015: Variable rainfall but very cold and mostly dull - though some places had average sunshine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

tanko wrote: »

I don't think so tanko.
    A good website is meteoblue. Put in your location and see.
    For me in wexford it's giving a chance of rain everyday next week.
    It looks like our dry spell is from now till Thursday evening.

tanko wrote: »

Sadly no.

Come on lads, no one knows what the weather will be like next week. I asked while on holidays two weeks ago what the weather would be like when I got home, ye all said wet and cool. I came home to a week of blue Sky's and 23c+.

Next week is 6 days away, anything over 3 days is complete guess work

Come on lads, no one knows what the weather will be like next week. I asked while on holidays two weeks ago what the weather would be like when I got home, ye all said wet and cool. I came home to a week of blue Sky's and 23c+.

Next week is 6 days away, anything over 3 days is complete guess work

Who did you ask? :rolleyes:

sryanbruen wrote:
    Who did you ask?

I asked the thread in general, 3 people responded with predictions of wet and cool.. Don't worry, you didn't reply :)

I asked the thread in general, 3 people responded with predictions of wet and cool.. Don't worry, you didn't reply :)

Shhhh.... I'm saying wet conditions so Mother Nature think she can fool us and give us dry conditions like she did with that spell of fine weather. (See what I'm doing)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Sunset in wexford. Looking towards the blackstairs.

DSCF0588.jpg

Advertisement