Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

A big volcano has erupted in Costa Rica, I think with the prevailing winds we could be seeing spectacular blood red sunsets this summer?
    It does of course depend on how long the eruption lasts. Something to keep an eye on.
    https://www.rt.com/news/343875-costa-rica-volcano-erupts/

What about ash like the one from Iceland in 2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

sryanbruen wrote: »
    What about ash like the one from Iceland in 2010?
    Too far away to affect flights here in Europe I'd say. Eruptions need to be very very big to affect the weather, the Tambora eruption in 1815 followed by the "year without a summer" in 1816 being the best example.
    As I said it depends on how long the eruption lasts.

It isn't looking too bad of a start to the Summer, especially compared to last year when the 1 June was the windiest Summer day since 25 July 1988.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Slieve Gullion

sryanbruen wrote: »
    It isn't looking too bad of a start to the Summer, especially compared to last year when the 1 June was the windiest Summer day since 25 July 1988.

Very good archive info sryan. We have to take the bad with good in the maritime zone unfortunately. The summer seems to be off to a great start and hopefully it will keep going for us.

Very good archive info sryan. We have to take the bad with good in the maritime zone unfortunately. The summer seems to be off to a great start and hopefully it will keep going for us.

Here's the forecast from last year on May 31st and Alex Deakin states for the first day of June: "But for the start of June, don't expect anything spectacular. If anything, it's going to get wetter and windier over the next couple of days".

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Gonzo wrote:
    the reality is next week will see temps struggle to get much past 16C with most places averaging 13-15C throughout next week, no heatwave here any time soon.

You said that a week ago....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

emm i wasnt too far off the mark maybe a few days out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Very warm in Cork this evening still 19c at 9pm.
    Uncomfortable for sleeping.

I see met eireann have temps down to 7-10.
    I doubt that for here anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Dickie10 wrote: »
    emm i wasnt too far off the mark maybe a few days out

Yes you were? You predicted 25-27, we got 17-22!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Even though its a degree or two too cool for my liking here on the coast, it really has been an amazing couple of days. Looks likely to continue for the short /medium range

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

if we hadnt a northerly and easterly breeeze would it be warmer if coming straight from south?

Dickie10 wrote: »
    if we hadnt a northerly and easterly breeeze would it be warmer if coming straight from south?

Yes but even then there would be more clouds in the sky due to warm air holding more moisture.

South Easterly continental flow would be the best.

Although, I don't mind this north east flow either, 22c in my back garden and feeling a lot warmer. Sitting here boiling out of it!

It's misty and freezing here at Grange right now. Feels more like Winter and I'm wearing shorts haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Looks like clearing very soon though !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

It's lovely here in West Cork.

Beautiful morning in West Clare, not a cloud to be seen! 18.2c out now in a light northeasterly. Wind is blowing over land so its likely going to one of, if not the warmest day so far.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

nowhere nearly as good as past few days, alot of cloud this morning and much cooler, a good 5C cooler than this time yesterday, still pleasant enough. 15C now compared to almost 21C this time yesterday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Much of the UK has been having terrible weather past few days while we have had summer. London and the south-east has struggled in low teens past few days with flooding in some areas. Now the east coast of Ireland has joined England and Wales in cooler conditions. This weekend, next week and the week after will see warm conditions in most places, although it may not as settled as it has been.

Gonzo wrote: »
    Much of the UK has been having terrible weather past few days while we have had summer. London and the south-east has struggled in low teens past few days with flooding in some areas. Now the east coast of Ireland has joined England and Wales in cooler conditions. This weekend, next week and the week after will see warm conditions in most places, although it may not as settled as it has been.

They deserve it anyways for all the luck they get of having Summer weather frequently compared to us :p.

• Advertisement

I still think this Summer is going to be a good one. Not a brilliant one by any means but pleasant enough.

1976 - Brilliant, 1986 - Atrocious, 1996 - Fairly pleasant, 2006 - Very good. Years ending in with '6' generally have good summers.

warmed back up to 20C here after a cool start and very sunny again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Spent the day in Westport, a lovely 22.8C, pure blue skies and barely a puff of breeze!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Luckily for us in Eastern England normality will resume soon! :(:P
    Been diabolical the last few days, but back to being warmer than Ireland Saturday onwards. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

A perfect start to Summer 2016 in Galway city - blue skies and sunshine all day with a high of 23.4C :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Lumi wrote: »
    A perfect start to Summer 2016 in Galway city - blue skies and sunshine all day with a high of 23.4C :)

Near perfect here with just a little cloud to start the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

warmed back up to 20C here after a cool start and very sunny again.

Yet you said temps would struggle to get past 16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

West cork,got highs of 24 Sunday,22 Monday,26 Tuesday and 25 today,maybe I am reading high but it seemed correct up untill now ,Davis system,only a few months old

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

Can anyone say how the weather is shaping up for the week June 6th-13?

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    Can anyone say how the weather is shaping up for the week June 6th-13?

One word: Changeable - There's no other word to describe it at this moment unfortunately.

Advertisement