Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

First Summer in Ireland and it is horrendous :(

Pretty typical, not near horrendous. The last true horrendous Summer was back in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I've no idea where you're from but there isn't really much difference between winter and summer in Ireland other than the amount of daylight.

Looking at the Atlantic charts and the position of the jet stream I am DEFINITELY more pessimistic than optimistic for the rest of the summer.
    It's reminding me of 2009. :(

I've no idea where you're from but there isn't really much difference between winter and summer in Ireland other than the amount of daylight.

Looking at the Atlantic charts and the position of the jet stream I am DEFINITELY more pessimistic than optimistic for the rest of the summer.
    It's reminding me of 2009. :(

Correct. But then in 2009, there was the 6th of June which was Dublin's coldest June day on record with maximums below 10c.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    AccuWeather say we will have a washout Summer.

Well they might be right if Mr. Pessimistic above's prediction comes true.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another incredible heavy shower just passed, the rain was bouncing up off the ground it was that heavy.

all next week is looking like a total washout according to the met eireann forecast with flood warnings for Tuesday and showers after that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Just out the back & looking at some serious clouds that wants to dump a lot of rain on Dublin yet again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the past 2 weeks have been crap but we've had summer months much worse than this.

However if the current crap keeps going into September then we can safely call this another dud of a summer... the nice weather end of May and beginning of June is already starting to look like a distant memory.

Like here's a list of Summer months worse than June 2016

August 2015
    July 2015
    August 2014
    July 2012
    June 2012
    August 2011
    July 2011
    July 2010
    August 2009
    July 2009
    August 2008
    July 2008
    June 2008
    August 2007
    July 2007
    June 2007
    August 2006

Do I need to name anymore? I don't think so

Like here's a list of Summer months worse than June 2016

August 2015
    July 2015
    August 2014
    July 2012
    June 2012
    August 2011
    July 2011
    July 2010
    August 2009
    July 2009
    August 2008
    July 2008
    June 2008
    August 2007
    July 2007
    June 2007
    August 2006

Do I need to name anymore? I don't think so

that's some run of crap summers from late 2006 to now (2013 only year with no crap summer months)

Gonzo wrote: »
    that's some run of crap summers from late 2006 to now (2013 only year with no crap summer months)

Which shows that we are owed a good Summer and why I am being so optimistic. Out of the months I have said above, there have been:

3 poor Junes
    7 poor Julys
    7 poor Augusts

As you can see, the distribution of the poor weather has been uneven ^.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

Which shows that we are owed a good Summer and why I am being so optimistic. Out of the months I have said above, there have been:

3 poor Junes
    7 poor Julys
    7 poor Augusts

owed shmowed

I am discovering the reality of Ireland. No use hoping...no use pretending. It is what it is. Don't try sugar-coat it. We must acknowledge that there is only bad weather in Ireland and the good weather is an odd occurence.

I think after you accept one can feel better perhaps?

armabelle wrote: »
    owed shmowed

I am discovering the reality of Ireland. No use hoping...no use pretending. It is what it is. Don't try sugar-coat it. We must acknowledge that there is only bad weather in Ireland and the good weather is an odd occurence.

Please stop being pessimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

owed shmowed

There is no bad weather in Ireland, there is only people moaning about the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

MJohnston wrote: »
    There is no bad weather in Ireland, there is only people moaning about the weather.

Ugh get out will ya! :D:p

Seriously, I think occasional flooding is about the height of how 'bad' we get it here. People just love an oul moan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

3 poor Junes
    7 poor Julys
    7 poor Augusts

September 2016 update

4 poor junes
    8 poor julys
    8 poor Augusts

:D

Please stop being pessimistic.

denial...it sure can get the better of us sometimes

:eek:

VincePP wrote: »
    September 2016 update

4 poor junes
    8 poor julys
    8 poor Augusts

:D

June 2016 will not be poor, it will be average as a whole.

denial...it sure can get the better of us sometimes

Of course there are some months that you can be pessimistic with Ireland's weather {HINT HINT: December 2015, February 2014, December 2013, March 2013, June 2012, April 2012 etc}, but these past few months, I have grown to become fond of Ireland's weather and try not be negative about it. Like despite the poor months like those above, I just think back of all the months with good weather {May 2016, April 2015, September 2014, July 2014, June 2014, July 2013 etc} in Ireland and then hoping a month like them will happen again soon.

• Advertisement

June 2016 will not be poor, it will be average as a whole.

and average in Ireland means dreadfully poor

Of course there are some months that you can be pessimistic with Ireland's weather {HINT HINT: December 2015, February 2014, December 2013, March 2013, June 2012, April 2012 etc}, but these past few months, I have grown to become fond of Ireland's weather and try not be negative about it. Like despite the poor months like those above, I just think back of all the months with good weather {May 2016, April 2015, September 2014, July 2014, June 2014, July 2013 etc} in Ireland and then hoping a month like them will happen again soon.

it is easier to be fond of it and become used to it than to hate it as that would ruin your chance to be happy in it

The boiling frog is an anecdote describing a frog slowly being boiled alive. The premise is that if a frog is placed in boiling water, it will jump out, but if it is placed in cold water that is slowly heated, it will not perceive the danger and will be cooked to death. The story is often used as a metaphor for the inability or unwillingness of people to react to or be aware of threats that occur gradually.

and average in Ireland means dreadfully poor

Not really. June 2012 was dreadfully poor and was not near average.

it is easier to be fond of it and become used to it than to hate it as that would ruin your chance to be happy in it

The boiling frog is an anecdote describing a frog slowly being boiled alive. The premise is that if a frog is placed in boiling water, it will jump out, but if it is placed in cold water that is slowly heated, it will not perceive the danger and will be cooked to death. The story is often used as a metaphor for the inability or unwillingness of people to react to or be aware of threats that occur gradually.

That's not a great metaphor - we grew up with this weather, its not getting any more dismal than it has been in our lifetimes. But growing up here means the cloudy and rainy spells in a day just become something to live with, and we can greatly enjoy days where there are periods of blue sky and warm temperatures in between a few easily avoided showers. If you want to go to a beach and sunbathe, Ireland was never the right country to pick, but for strolling round Dublin, popping into cafés for tea or coffee and a natter with friends, its perfectly fine weather.

We had two fantastic weeks of sunshine, and we will get at least 2 or 3 more of those in the rest of the year. Even over the last couple of weeks of heavy rain showers during the day, most of the evenings here in Dublin have been warm, sunny, and extremely lovely.

Conversely, I lived in perpetually sunny and hot California for 18 months, and after a whole, the weather just made me completely miserable. It's all about what you're used to, and what you can adapt to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

This has been the wettest June so far in 5 years in Castlebar, but also the warmest.

Xenji wrote: »
    This has been the wettest June so far in 5 years in Castlebar, but also the warmest.

Do you not mean 4? (2012...?)

That's not a great metaphor - we grew up with this weather, its not getting any more dismal than it has been in our lifetimes. But growing up here means the cloudy and rainy spells in a day just become something to live with, and we can greatly enjoy days where there are periods of blue sky and warm temperatures in between a few easily avoided showers. If you want to go to a beach and sunbathe, Ireland was never the right country to pick, but for strolling round Dublin, popping into cafés for tea or coffee and a natter with friends, its perfectly fine weather.

We had two fantastic weeks of sunshine, and we will get at least 2 or 3 more of those in the rest of the year. Even over the last couple of weeks of heavy rain showers during the day, most of the evenings here in Dublin have been warm, sunny, and extremely lovely.

Conversely, I lived in perpetually sunny and hot California for 18 months, and after a whole, the weather just made me completely miserable. It's all about what you're used to, and what you can adapt to.

1. Nobody strolls in Dublin, they walk briskly and hastily
    2. Sure, if indoors is your thing, Ireland will do just fine but be in no doubt that Irish people do not age well and this is the reason why.
    3. Who lives the kind of life that they can enjoy those couple of days when it does actually get sunny. People work you know? So what are the chances that this lovely day falls on a day when most the population can actually enjoy it?

I know it is important to keeping your mood on the up so nothing wrong with being optimistic though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Back to continous mist n nw winds now till september. No light showers here just continual drizzle.

Take not Met Eirann your nowcast isnt correct

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Do you not mean 4? (2012...?)

We seemed to miss a lot of the rain that June, south and north Mayo got over 200mm in places, but we had around half that, the next few days could bring us over that.

• Advertisement

1. Nobody strolls in Dublin, they walk briskly and hastily

I bet most of the Irish people in Dublin stroll, but Dublin is very multicultural these days ;)
    2. Sure, if indoors is your thing, Ireland will do just fine but be in no doubt that Irish people do not age well and this is the reason why.

Oh give over - that has much more to do with quality of diet and exercise than anything else. Most of the elderly Irish people who are around now lived through a period where Ireland was a very poor country. The days of cheap international shipping and the Internet have changed things massively. A lack of Vitamin D has very little to do with it.
    3. Who lives the kind of life that they can enjoy those couple of days when it does actually get sunny. People work you know? So what are the chances that this lovely day falls on a day when most the population can actually enjoy it?

Most people do - the late sunsets mean that there are plenty of hours of sunshine after work in most of Ireland.

Perversely, this is why imo Ireland is one of the better places to be when it is actually sunny - I found Californians were so inured to sunshine that it was never a big focus, but a sunny day in Ireland (especially at the weekend) becomes a national party almost. It's a lot of fun.
    I know it is important to keeping your mood on the up so nothing wrong with being optimistic though

It's not about being optimistic or pessimistic at all, it's about being pragmatic; people complaining about the weather isn't going to alter it, it's just going to make them seem like a never-ending moan to their friends and colleagues.

People have three options:
    1. Learn to live with it as most Irish people do
    2. Move away
    3. Become a taxi driver and make it part of your patter

Advertisement