Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Thinking she has it bad in Dublin :) oh god I'd hate to see here in the Atlantic counties!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

MJohnston wrote: »

Oh give over - that has much more to do with quality of diet and exercise than anything else. Most of the elderly Irish people who are around now lived through a period where Ireland was a very poor country. The days of cheap international shipping and the Internet have changed things massively. A lack of Vitamin D has very little to do with it.

poor countries can and usually do have very attractive people who age especially well, Russia and some of Eastern Europe, Argentina, southern Italy, southern Spain

it is the weather and nothing else...well the diet too but the basic food is really good in Ireland usually so nothing to do with it

In fact, most the wealthy countries are the ones with highest obesity counts and other health problems...sun or no sun. Irish are not prone to same kind of medical problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

armabelle wrote: »
    poor countries can and usually do have very attractive people, Russia and some of Eastern Europe, Argentina, southern Italy, southern Spain

it is the weather and nothing else...well the diet too but the basic food is really good in Ireland usually so nothing to do with it

In fact, most the wealthy countries are the ones with highest obesity counts and other health problems...sun or no sun. Irish are not prone to same kind of medical problems.

So we're all ugly then? Sorry, but that's entirely subjective on your part and feels offensive really.

You originally said that "Irish people do not age well", which has nothing to do with being an attractive people or not - I outlined why Ireland has elderly people with less mobility and more health problems than some other European countries.

The diet in Ireland was far from great up until the early 90s - we now live in the era of Tesco and being able to import a wide range of foods from European neighbours, but it was up until very recently not this way at all.

The only thing the Irish climate has to do with that is the fact that we couldn't grow most of those things *in* Ireland.

And I have no idea what your last point means, but Ireland certainly does have obesity problems: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ireland-set-to-be-most-obese-country-in-europe-who-says-1.2201731

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

So we're all ugly then? Sorry, but that's entirely subjective on your part and feels offensive really.

You originally said that "Irish people do not age well", which has nothing to do with being an attractive people or not - I outlined why Ireland has elderly people with less mobility and more health problems than some other European countries.

The diet in Ireland was far from great up until the early 90s - we now live in the era of Tesco and being able to import a wide range of foods from European neighbours, but it was up until very recently not this way at all.

The only thing the Irish climate has to do with that is the fact that we couldn't grow most of those things *in* Ireland.

And I have no idea what your last point means, but Ireland certainly does have obesity problems: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ireland-set-to-be-most-obese-country-in-europe-who-says-1.2201731

Totally agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

Not talking about health problems really, just the look of people as they get older in general. Is healthy-looking really all that different to being attractive in older age though? I think they are similar. I will say that there are lots of eastern european moms where I take my kids to play and their is a big difference between +50 Irish moms and +50 eastern european moms. Sun and climate are essential parts of health and longevity. Sunshine is life on earth, without it we would not be here. Irish people have adapted to the climate but that doesn't mean that it does wonders for them. Is the frog enjoying the hot water or just accepting it for what it is and not hopping out because of that?

• Advertisement

Fine day generally here at Grange with a mix of sunny intervals and clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Fine day generally here at Grange with a mix of sunny intervals and clouds.

Same here, missed a lot of the showers over the last few days, had a heavy thundery shower on thursday i think it was, but it didnt add up to much, not a bad week overall in fact

Same here, missed a lot of the showers over the last few days, had a heavy thundery shower on thursday i think it was, but it didnt add up to much, not a bad week overall in fact

I only recorded a heavy shower yesterday (Friday). Other than that, nearly completely dry week here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Today was a good example of what I was talking about - cloudy, but dry and warm. A lovely day of weather if you aren't looking for cloudless blue skies, I was walking around outside in a t-shirt at 9pm, hardy Irish soul that I am ;)

Tuesday & Wednesday are looking very wet in many parts.

• Advertisement

With my sunshine total currently at 142 hours, June 2016 will certainly not be the dullest June on record but it will be the second dullest of this decade so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Damp Sunday morning. Clearance is nearly here.

LEIN wrote: »
    Damp Sunday morning. Clearance is nearly here.

Very similar to this time last week :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Very similar to this time last week :rolleyes:.

Thankfully it will clear soon and it is not down for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

LEIN wrote: »
    Thankfully it will clear soon and it is not down for the day.

26th June though. Forecast bad for week ahead despite some fanciful predictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Forecast for me is the mid thirties from.
    Tomorrow :)

Horribly drizzly rain in West Clare earlier, visibility terrible. Not as bad in the midlands now, few sunny spells. Near nenagh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

June is going to end on a very wet note, there could be very large rainfull totals in many areas over the next 4 to 5 days with possible flooding. The first half of July is also not looking so great.

I am CERTAIN we will have a dry spell in July though with some pleasant temperatures and very sunny days - I'm not saying a heatwave by any means. The Met Office still haven't changed their prediction on this dry spell since I last posted a few days ago. In length and depth of warmth, I'd say the closest matched dry spell to this prediction is the dry spell from August 2012 - was a bit short but it was a very pleasant couple of days with maximums hitting 26c on the 10th. In Ireland, that's all you could really ask for.

Does this June remind you of June 1986 with the exception of the fact that this June has been much warmer? If it does, then watch out, we could have another exceptionally dull July (as was July 1986 - the dullest July on record).

Just telling you here also that a very bad / poor opening to the month (like how July will start) doesn't mean it will be a bad month. Here are some examples:

June 2015 - Started unseasonably windy and some heavy rain but then it was a pleasant enough June overall with plenty of fine weather despite the cold nature
    April 2015 - Started awful with some heavy rain then it became the sunniest April on record
    June 2014 - Well... did not start off very bad but it was kind of poor then we had a warm spell and some places even recorded a drought
    July 2013 - The first 3 days with the 2nd day in particular were quite wet with some heavy falls then we had a heatwave and some very sunny days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Lovely day in Cork, cloudy but feeling balmy! 21 degrees.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Dismal wet forecast for the week and cold. The SW and S seems to get most of the rain for the first half of the week, amounts not looking particularly bad though at this stage. I see that mountainous areas to get the most from orographic lift, that means periods of blanket cloud, especially weds with what looks like 8-10 hrs of slow moving rain.

OTw3gOE.gif?1

I8KEXUU.gif?1

Y2e02fD.gif?1

Don't worry someone will be on soon to tell us it's a good summer.

Don't worry someone will be on soon to tell us it's a good summer.

Yeah me :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

might have to light the fire midweek or at least turn on the heating, this coming week could turn out to be the coldest and wettest week since the end of April/beginning of May.

The cool, unsettled theme looks to continue up to July 9th.

Gonzo wrote: »
    might have to light the fire midweek or at least turn on the heating, this coming week could turn out to be the coldest and wettest week since the end of April/beginning of May.

The cool, unsettled theme looks to continue up to July 9th.

We've a great climate though don't we. Meanwhile in Greece today it was 31 degrees sunny and tonight is a balmy 21 degrees. I'm seeking asylum here Feck that going back to that misery again.

We've a great climate though don't we. Meanwhile in Greece today it was 31 degrees sunny and tonight is a balmy 21 degrees. I'm seeking asylum here Feck that going back to that misery again.

Yeah I would never be able to suffer such temperatures for a long period.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭OldRio

To be honest we put the heating on last night for about an hour. Wet miserable day followed by a damp cool evening.
    I bought decking stain 10 days ago and still waiting for a dry day to get the stuff on. It could be a long wait.

Today has started off with blue skies here at Grange. Better make the most of it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

On a brighter note,the seatrout and salmon are racing up the rivers,and enjoying the oxygenated rapids and swirling pool's....
    Gone fishing...yeeeehaaaww

Advertisement