Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Its 8c in Knock and hailstoning at 11am

cmon now this is takin the pi$$

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

pauldry wrote: »
    Its 8c in Knock and hailstoning at 11am

cmon now this is takin the pi$$

Think of how cold last Summer was but this time last year, temperatures were above 20c.

Monday and Wednesday looking like horrible days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

If it wasn't for the leaves on the trees you would swear it was winter in those showers...Brutal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

In all fairness there was a few minutes of sun between big chunk of clouds today. I think at one point the sun shone for a full 4 and a half minutes but I was making toast so I missed that. The second gap of sun was only 2 minutes long. If another one comes I may have four minutes of sunshine today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

armabelle wrote: »
    In all fairness there was a few minutes of sun between big chunk of clouds today. I think at one point the sun shone for a full 4 and a half minutes but I was making toast so I missed that. The second gap of sun was only 2 minutes long. If another one comes I may have four minutes of sunshine today.

Oh here now you're really just taking the pi**.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Oh here now you're really just taking the pi**.

No, maybe you have been indoors today but it has been very unstable. I predict intermittent rain and cloud for the next 18 weeks.

Though surely, we won't have 18 weeks ^ of it, I'm afraid there is NO HEAT or warmth or even a short dry spell ahead. Looks like it's going to be a cool mediocre July.

A lot of people have been saying that this Summer has been poor but much like Spring, it has been mediocre rather than necessarily "poor".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

sryanbruen wrote: »
    A lot of people have been saying that this Summer has been poor but much like Spring, it has been mediocre rather than necessarily "poor".

Here here! I know it may be pretty much as ****e as it can get now, but we're only midway through the summer months!

Oh here comes more rain here now....

• Advertisement

It rained twice as I typed this in Laoise

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭alentejo

This is the most showery day I can remember for a while. Pretty much a shower on the hour since 9am this morning. Dublin 6W

alentejo wrote: »
    This is the most showery day I can remember for a while. Pretty much a shower on the hour since 9am this morning. Dublin 6W

"A while": You mean since last Friday :p:rolleyes: when Grange recorded limitless downpours all day long?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

another sh!t summer it looks like :(

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭County rebel

Gale of wind here in west cork leaves comeing off the trees feels like an evening in september:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Any chance of climate change moving the jet stream and altering the azores high position?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

You won't believe this but driving home from work today I heard that moron Gareth O Callaghan declaring on 4fm that there's a heat wave on the way. I think someone pulled him up on it but he dismissed the listener. Apparently there's an article in the star today?

You won't believe this but driving home from work today I heard that moron Gareth O Callaghan declaring on 4fm that there's a heat wave on the way. I think someone pulled him up on it but he dismissed the listener. Apparently there's an article in the star today?

Yeah there's no sign of heat whatsoever on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Yeah there's no sign of heat whatsoever on the way.

Honestly I heard him say it and I'm nearly sure he referenced an article in today's paper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Rainbow taken a few minutes ago in wexford.

2016_07_01_19.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

9.8c now. I wonder if somewhere in the country will get a ground frost tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Honestly I heard him say it and I'm nearly sure he referenced an article in today's paper?

Chances are it's just a sensationalized story, which will attract peoples attention because the weather currently is so ****e.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the next 3 weeks look like a write off, temps struggling in the mid teens for the most part and plenty of rain.

perhaps May was as good as it gets for this summer, but hopefully we will see signs of warmer dryer conditions for end of July/beginning of August.

Really feeling chilly now, almost cold enough to light the fire.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

alentejo wrote: »
    I think July and August are the most disappointing months of the year. I can handle Irish weather for the other 10 months, but July and August just seem to disappoint a little more. Its like a kind of mini monsoon season which appears to pass come September.

have to agree, I have very few memories of decent July and Augusts, yet most Septembers end of being better than Summer.

I've seen some people on the internet saying 2016 is among the dullest years on record already? It's not even close to dull here at Grange but what do y'all think?

I've seen some people on the internet saying 2016 is among the dullest years on record already? It's not even close to dull here at Grange but what do y'all think?

For me it is definitely the dullest on record because I moved to Ireland in January.

But we have to remain positive and enjoy what else Ireland has to offer.

Today is looking up, the spells of sunshine are longer in Laois with a good 10 minutes of sun before the next independence day cloud comes along. Not much rain.... yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Should Change the post heading to "Not summer weather " it's very cool and windy in Galway today

armabelle wrote: »
    For me it is definitely the dullest on record because I moved to Ireland in January.

But we have to remain positive and enjoy what else Ireland has to offer.

Today is looking up, the spells of sunshine are longer in Laois with a good 10 minutes of sun before the next independence day cloud comes along. Not much rain.... yet!

Sorry, people who have recently moved to Ireland do not count. People who have lived in Ireland at least since 1992 can tell me because the years 1992-1994 were truly the dullest on record.

1993 was Grange's dullest year on record. See the first six months of both years:

1993: 535 hours
    2016: 850 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Forever21

Down here in Waterford don't think it's been too dull , like I know we had a lot of rain this year but not anything like you guys up the country. January & February were meh , from second week in March some lovely sunshine, Easter was ok but a little cold , April was a bit miserable, we had some lovely weather from middle of May to present. While we had some rainy days overall it hasn't been too bad . I know the temperature is still a little under but the lovely long evenings mean we can get things done like painting etc... . I feel for you guys up the country.

• Advertisement

cant use the term dullest summer on record yet, we have to see how all of July and August pans out, but July is looking like it will be similar to most Julys since 2007.

May was exceptional this year, mostly sunny and warm, June got off to a great start but once the weather broke on June 12th, the sun has barely made an appearance and its mostly been showery and cool.These first 2 days of July have been awful, more like mid to late October than mid summer.

Advertisement