Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    cant use the term dullest summer on record yet, we have to see how all of July and August pans out, but July is looking like it will be similar to most Julys since 2007.

May was exceptional this year, mostly sunny and warm, June got off to a great start but once the weather broke on June 12th, the sun has barely made an appearance and its mostly been showery and cool.These first 2 days of July have been awful, more like mid to late October than mid summer.

I'm talking about year wise, not Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

cant use the term dullest summer on record yet, we have to see how all of July and August pans out, but July is looking like it will be similar to most Julys since 2007.

May was exceptional this year, mostly sunny and warm, June got off to a great start but once the weather broke on June 12th, the sun has barely made an appearance and its mostly been showery and cool.These first 2 days of July have been awful, more like mid to late October than mid summer.

may was exceptional or one week in may was exceptional?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

armabelle wrote: »
    may was exceptional or one week in may was exceptional?

Since when did a week contain 19 days?

I was very happy with the start to this summer, although the weather looks poor for the next while. Next week doesn't look as bad as this week though.

When was May 2016 that poor? (1 week only?) This graph in the attachment shows Grange's Spring 2016 sunshine totals and you can clearly see how it was not one week that defined May 2016's great "Summer" weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Forever21 wrote: »
    Down here in Waterford don't think it's been too dull , like I know we had a lot of rain this year but not anything like you guys up the country. January & February were meh , from second week in March some lovely sunshine, Easter was ok but a little cold , April was a bit miserable, we had some lovely weather from middle of May to present. While we had some rainy days overall it hasn't been too bad . I know the temperature is still a little under but the lovely long evenings mean we can get things done like painting etc... . I feel for you guys up the country.

We didn't have lovely weather from middle of May it was end of May before any good weather came.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

What's the weather been like in Ireland for the last 2 weeks, good, bad, sh1te?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Since when did a week contain 19 days?

I was very happy with the start to this summer, although the weather looks poor for the next while. Next week doesn't look as bad as this week though.

19 days of no rain I think you mean but there was one week of sunshine. I am slowly starting to understand that when an Irishman tells me the weather was good he doesn't mean it was sunny just that it didn't rain. For me overcast weather is just as bad.

We didn't have lovely weather from middle of May it was end of May before any good weather came.

'Eh em... no it wasn't. 12-17 May was a brilliant period of weather with the 13 May being my Sports Day in school and it was the best Sports Day you could ever have - all because of that lovely weather!

armabelle wrote: »
    19 days of no rain I think you mean but there was one week of sunshine. I am slowly starting to understand that when an Irishman tells me the weather was good he doesn't mean it was sunny just that it didn't rain. For me overcast weather is just as bad.

Grange (Dublin.... where you are) recorded at least ten hours of sunshine from the 12th-16th, 24th and 28th-31st, so technically a week and 2 days. In Ireland, that's all you could ask for.

These are my sunshine totals for each week in May 2016:

1st-7th: 41 hours
    8th-14th: 54 hours
    15th-21st: 55 hours
    22nd-28th: 48 hours
    29th-31st: 43 hours

Though it may not seem like it, sunshine totals were fairly divided in May here ^. Though May 2016 was much sunnier than normal (and quite similar to May 2008 actually which was very warm, sunny and dry in many places also), it seemed very sunny among people due to how long ago, there was such a pleasant month which was back in April 2015 (which was our Summer of 2015).

It's the second day of July and my mean temperature is only 12.0c (-2.4c below the LTA) already.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today most places should get a brief rest from all the rain and showers, plenty of rain over next few days so enjoy today.

today most places should get a brief rest from all the rain and showers, plenty of rain over next few days so enjoy today.

Well Tuesday is not looking bad.

Though the temperatures are utterly miserable, the sunshine is already nice this July. During the first 2 days, I have reached a total of 19 hours of sunshine. Last year, I recorded 3 hours of sunshine on these two days alone. So, it's not all bad!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Though the temperatures are utterly miserable, the sunshine is already nice this July. During the first 2 days, I have reached a total of 19 hours of sunshine. Last year, I recorded 3 hours of sunshine on these two days alone. So, it's not all bad!

Where are you?

Where are you?

Grange, Dublin 13.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Highest temp today here near Tralee since the 22nd of June getting up to 18.4C a short time ago.
    Nice day, cloud about 3 oktas with a light NW wind and RH down to a pleasant 64% :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Almost 20c hear in Kildare now in the sunshine. Summer still trying to remind us it's still here...... Behind the cold rain and cloud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Where are you?

Grange. He mentions it quite frequently ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Baldoyle for the 99.999% of folks who don't know where Grange in North Dublin is! Cheers for your passionate weather postings sryanbruen!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

gebbel wrote: »
    Baldoyle for the 99.999% of folks who don't know where Grange in North Dublin is! Cheers for your passionate weather postings sryanbruen!

Baldoyle is debatable - It could be considered to be Donaghmede. West of the Belfast railway is usually considered to be Donaghmede plus Baldoyle is located in Fingal. Grange is not in Fingal :p

Anyway, I digress!

• Advertisement

highdef wrote: »
    Baldoyle is debatable - It could be considered to be Donaghmede. West of the Belfast railway is usually considered to be Donaghmede plus Baldoyle is located in Fingal. Grange is not in Fingal :p

Anyway, I digress!

Yeah Grange is a residential area in Donaghmede. I have named my station Grange because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Where was this rainy day the forecasts promised? D7 has been dry as a bone all day, and I'm hoping for a bit of rain to keep the kids indoors so I can have a bit of sleep while the newborn does!

MJohnston wrote: »
    Where was this rainy day the forecasts promised? D7 has been dry as a bone all day, and I'm hoping for a bit of rain to keep the kids indoors so I can have a bit of sleep while the newborn does!

A little band of patchy rain is right beside Dublin... so hold your horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Sun has appeared to bake it a much nicer afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Torrential downpour here for about 2mins, floods are back in the field

June 2016's weather summary
    Warm than normal everywhere with variable rainfall

Temperature: warmest June at Belmullet since 1956
    All mean air temperatures were above their Long-Term Average (LTA), with differences from average over 1°C in parts of the Northwest, West, South, Midlands and East. Deviations from LTA ranging from 0.4°C at Sherkin Island, Co Cork (mean temperature of 14.4°C) to 1.7°C at Knock Airport, Co Mayo (mean temperature of 13.9°C), its warmest June since 2009. Over three-quarters of stations reported it was their warmest June in six or seven years with exception of Belmullet, Co Mayo which had its warmest June on record since the station opened in 1956 with a mean temperature of 14.7°C (1.5°C from LTA). Its highest maximum temperature of 23.1°C reported on the 8th was its highest for June since 2009. Other highest maxima were mainly recorded during the first eight days of the month, with the month’s highest maximum recorded at Shannon Airport, Co Clare on the 8th with 25.7°C. Lowest air and grass minima were mostly all reported on the 1st or the 3rd. The month’s lowest air and grass minimum temperature were reported on the 3rd with Dublin Airport reporting the lowest air temperature of 2.5°C, while Mountdillon, Co Roscommon reported the lowest grass temperature of -1.9°C, its lowest for June in 6 years. A third of stations reported ground frost during the month, with up to two days recorded (1st and the 3rd).

Rainfall: Variable across the country
    Occassional heavy showers in places lead to variable percentage of LTA rainfall values being recorded. Below average rainfall was reported in parts of the South while well above average rainfall values were recorded in parts of the East, Midlands and Northwest. Percentage of LTAs were lowest at some stations in the Cork area with both Cork Airport and Sherkin island reporting the lowest monthly percentage of LTAs with 81% and 82% respectively with 65.6 mm and 61.5 mm of rain. The highest percentage of LTA rainfall of 178% was reported at Casement Aerodrome, Co Dublin with 111.4 mm. The wettest days of the month were mainly the 13th, 14th, 19th, 28th and 30th with the month’s highest daily rainfall reported at Markree, Co Sligo on the 13th with 33.5 mm. Mullingar reported June’s second highest daily rainfall with 33.2 mm on the 14th, its wettest June day since 2007. The number of wet days ranged from nine at both Dublin Airport and Roche’s Point, Co Cork to 19 at Athenry, Co Galway.

Sunshine: sunniest day(s) at the start of the month
    Monthly sunshine totals were lowest at Knock Airport with 123.0 hrs (daily mean 4.1 hrs, 85% of LTA), while the highest monthly total was reported at Cork Airport with 177.8 hrs (daily mean 5.9 hrs, 101% of LTA). Stations reported their sunniest conditions on the 1st and 2nd, with the highest daily sunshine reported at Malin Head*, Co Donegal on the 2nd with 15.8 hours. The number of dull days ranged from four at Shannon Airport to seven at Knock Airport.

Wind: No gale force winds; windiest conditions reported in the Southwest
    Monthly mean wind speeds ranged from 4.6 knots (8.5 km/h) at Mullingar, Co Westmeath to 11.3 knots (20.1 km/h) at Mace Head, Co Galway. No gale force winds were reported with both the month’s highest 10-minute mean wind speed and month’s highest gust recorded at Sherkin Island on the 13th, with 29 knots (54 km/h) and 38 knots (70 km/h), respectively.

http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/sum1.pdf

Amazingly, June 2016 was Belmullet's warmest June on record.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

torrential rain here too, possible flash flooding on roads,

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

torrential rain here too, possible flash flooding on roads,

That person earlier who wanted rain in July to keep the kids inside will be delighted so !
    Has everyone's garden recovered from the "drought " at end of may yet i wonder :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Torrential rain in Galway now, where has Summer gone .

Advertisement