Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Torrential rain in Galway now, where has Summer gone .

Nowhere, it's still here :pac: (Irish summers are normally ****).

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭alentejo

I know it is normal Irish summer weather but it is depressing.

Well at Grange to say the least, July hasn't gotten off to a hugely poor start despite it being cool and rather wet.

Rainfall: 9.2mm (20% of the LTA)
    Mean temperature: 13.1c (-1.3c below the LTA - has risen since the first 2 days when it was 12.0c)
    Sunshine: 31 hours (19% of the LTA - quite high for only the first 4 days)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

We need to be content with what we've got, long summer days that tend to have cool sunny evenings. Give over the idea of beach dayz in Eire.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We usually see 2 weeks of proper summer most years, the first week being junior/leaving cert week and the other week the first week of September when the kids go back to school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Quite extraordinary to see such a deep area of low pressure (that isn't an ex-tropical storm) as far south as the Azores at this time of year.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack1a.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

Gonzo wrote: »
    We usually see 2 weeks of proper summer most years, the first week being junior/leaving cert week and the other week the first week of September when the kids go back to school.

my goodness they never told us it was this bad, I guess nothing accounts for true experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

armabelle wrote: »
    my goodness they never told us it was this bad, I guess nothing accounts for true experience
    What did 'they' tell you?
    I would have thought everyone knew you don't go to Ireland for sunshine.
    Our geographical location is always going to leave us with pretty much unpredictable weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

You really need to get over this, for your own sake. Ireland gets BAD weather, a lot. Most of the weather here is overcast, windy and rainy. Did you say you came from Malaga? That's the mildest city in Europe!

red sean wrote: »
    What did 'they' tell you?
    I would have thought everyone knew you don't go to Ireland for sunshine.
    Our geographical location is always going to leave us with pretty much unpredictable weather.

Knowing that Ireland is not the place you go to for sunshine and there hardly being any sunshine are different things. Yes they told us that there is a lot of rain and that the weather is depressing but that could mean that a wide variety of things and first hand experience has opened our eyes up.

And, in my opinion, the weather is more predictable here because you usually know what you are going to get. Pretty much always cloudy, usually rainy and from time to time partly sunny.

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »
    You really need to get over this, for your own sake. Ireland gets BAD weather, a lot. Most of the weather here is overcast, windy and rainy. Did you say you came from Malaga? That's the mildest city in Europe!

I am totally over it. I don't expect a day of sunshine any more and just accept it for what it is and enjoy other things about Ireland.

No I don't come from Malaga. Lived there for a while. Very sunny place but can get dry though.

I'm just more or less repeating what I said last night but I've NEVER seen such an absence of the Azores high in July - not even in the shocking summers between 2007-12.
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/data/CoreProductCache/SurfacePressureChart/Item/ProductId/36281337
    Of course every winter there is a 1040 anticyclone down there for weeks on end!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 219 ✭✭JinkyJackson

Didn't think it was possible to get more boring weather than last summer, but it seems to be happening. Just dull and misty everyday now since 6th of June.. There really is no seasons anymore, Summer and winter the very same bar a drop of a few degrees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

What I like about this summer is that the evenings are usually nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Sunny in West Clare, not anywhere near as warm as Turkey though!

I'm just more or less repeating what I said last night but I've NEVER seen such an absence of the Azores high in July - not even in the shocking summers between 2007-12.
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/data/CoreProductCache/SurfacePressureChart/Item/ProductId/36281337
    Of course every winter there is a 1040 anticyclone down there for weeks on end!

I have...

I don't see what has been miserably poor with July so far... it's been nice here especially in comparison with July 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012 and 2015.

sryanbruen wrote:
    I don't see what has been miserably poor with July so far... it's been nice here especially in comparison with July 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012 and 2015.

What? July isn't even 5 days old yet, how can you compare it with previous Julys.

I think, as has been proven lots of times on this forum, Grange has its own separate climate! Twasnt too bad Sunday evening, but 14c an dark cloud isn't "nice" for our hottest month

What? July isn't even 5 days old yet, how can you compare it with previous Julys.

I think, as has been proven lots of times on this forum, Grange has its own separate climate! Twasnt too bad Sunday evening, but 14c an dark cloud isn't "nice" for our hottest month

I'm comparing it with the first 5 days of those Julys???:confused:

I have recorded at least 4 hours of sunshine on each day so far with at least 6 hours of sunshine on each day from the 1st-3rd. And that's pretty average, so it's not below average - so not poor. My lowest maximum this July so far has been 15.7c on the 1st. Ever since then, my temperature has been rising like on the 2nd, it rose to 17.3c. This is pretty comparable with the other Dublin stations, so how is it in any way a miserable July (though the first day was quite Autumnal) already?

• Advertisement

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I have...
    I've no doubt you have but mid-summer charts don't come any more shocking than that as far as I'm concerned!
    July isn't even 5 days old yet, how can you compare it with previous Julys.
    Its more than likely we will be stuck in this Atlantic regime for the rest of the month. The jet stream in not going to miraculously move way north of Scotland overnight! Its called being stuck in a rut.
    I'm going to be very popular around here but I've seen this far too often in our wonderful climate!

Just when I thought it can't get any worse, it does!!
    http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/fax/fax120s.gif?1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm comparing it with the first 5 days of those Julys???:confused:

did Grange not have occassional downpours and generally cool/ mid Autumn conditions first 4 days of July.
    Today does seem the best day of July so far with no rain so far today and temps now reaching 16C making it the warmest day of the month so far!

Gonzo wrote: »
    did Grange not have occassional downpours and generally cool/ mid Autumn conditions first 4 days of July.
    Today does seem the best day of July so far with no rain so far today and temps now reaching 16C making it the warmest day of the month so far!

Grange recorded no rain on the 3rd and today. I reached a max of 20.2c yesterday. My max daily rainfall was 7.3mm on the 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Could the same realism about the limitations of our climate with regards to summer weather be applied in winter? It seems that when an argument is put forward that our climate does not get cold snowy winters its shot down immediately. Several times some of us have attempted to inject a bit of realism about snowmageddon only to be threatened with bans, PMs and being called killjoys etc. To me this summer is what it usually is....boring uninteresting neither good nor bad about 3/4 degrees warmer than mid winter. Its dull and grey most of the time.

Could the same realism about the limitations of our climate with regards to summer weather be applied in winter? It seems that when an argument is put forward that our climate does not get cold snowy winters its shot down immediately. Several times some of us have attempted to inject a bit of realism about snowmageddon only to be threatened with bans, PMs and being called killjoys etc. To me this summer is what it usually is....boring uninteresting neither good nor bad about 3/4 degrees warmer than mid winter. Its dull and grey most of the time.

Exactly this. And our climate is described as changeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Sure that just means the same people are always being pessimistic ;) Most of the winter thread people hibernate for the summer!

I have recorded at least 4 hours of sunshine on each day so far with at least 6 hours of sunshine on each day from the 1st-3rd. And that's pretty average, so it's not below average - so not poor. My lowest maximum this July so far has been 15.7c on the 1st. Ever since then, my temperature has been rising like on the 2nd, it rose to 17.3c. This is pretty comparable with the other Dublin stations, so how is it in any way a miserable July (though the first day was quite Autumnal) already?

I can't record that at all. I record about 13 minutes of sunshine on average per day with the maximum being 1:26 minutes in the last 34 days

I've no doubt you have but mid-summer charts don't come any more shocking than that as far as I'm concerned!

Its more than likely we will be stuck in this Atlantic regime for the rest of the month. The jet stream in not going to miraculously move way north of Scotland overnight! Its called being stuck in a rut.
    I'm going to be very popular around here but I've seen this far too often in our wonderful climate!

Just when I thought it can't get any worse, it does!!
    http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/fax/fax120s.gif?1

Here is an example of one in early June 2012.

I can't record that at all. I record about 13 minutes of sunshine on average per day with the maximum being 26 minutes in the last 34 days

Well you're not a Campbell-Stokes recorder :P.

• Advertisement

I think more than 4 degrees (maybe 6 or 7?)but otherwise I salute you for being straight up with the fact. No sugar coating, it is what it is.

Advertisement