Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

The minimum temperature at Shannon Airport was 16.0 C on Saturday 9th July. But on the following day the 10th the max temperature was only 16.1 C.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭pcasso

Munstermac wrote: »
    Well as I suspected last week when ME's forecast abruptly ended on Wednesday it looks like things may well pick up for the latter part of this week.

From ME:

"The clearing rain [from Thursday]will introduce a much more humid and warm airmass as winds become southerly in direction for Friday and temperatures rise to the twenties. It will be mainly dry with some good spells of sunshine too although the high temperatures and increasing humidity increase the risk of showers developing and there are also likely to be sea breezes in the afternoon.

The current indications are for warm and mainly dry weather for the weekend and beyond although always with a risk of a few showers developing here and there."

So if there's farming to be done it looks like this weekend is as good a bet as any!!
    They have changed their minds................

Cloud will increase from the west later on Wednesday and overnight with patchy drizzle by morning.

It will be mostly dry at first on Thursday with some patchy drizzle in a light southerly breeze. But outbreaks of rain will push into the west later on Thursday and spread country wide during Thursday night in a freshening southerly breeze. It will become mild and humid again and overnight temperatures will stay around 12 to 15 degrees.

Friday will be a dull and humid day with outbreaks of rain turning persistent and heavy at times and clear later to more showery conditions. Top tempertures will be in the high teens in a moderate to fresh southwesterly breeze.

Present indications are that the weekend will be unsettled and breezy at times with scattered showers and temperatures in the mid to high teens

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Munstermac

The odd thing is both forecasts had the same time on them i.e. 11:26.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The BBC's radar always showed rainfall over us during the coming weekend.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the past weekend here was really bad, frequent downpours most of Saturday afternoon and evening and rained most of yesterday. At one stage we had to pull in onto the hard shoulder to stop as the rain was so intense.

Today started off grand but its back to showery crap again. This summer is starting to shape up to be another turkey of a summer with no end in sight to the showery and relatively cool conditions over the next few weeks.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    the past weekend here was really bad, frequent downpours most of Saturday afternoon and evening and rained most of yesterday. At one stage we had to pull in onto the hard shoulder to stop as the rain was so intense.

Today started off grand but its back to showery crap again. This summer is starting to shape up to be another turkey of a summer with no end in sight to the showery and relatively cool conditions over the next few weeks.

As said multiple times, the weather here is grand. I had a 0.1mm shower about 15 mins ago but that was it. It is starting to brighten up again after that shower when it was very dark for such a small shower. It is feeling quite warm actually also.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

July hasnt been bad here at all,
    Monthly Climatological Summary for Jul 2016

Name: Loughlinstown   City: Co Dublin   State: Ireland
    Elevation: 24 m  Lat: N 53° 14' 54"   Lon: W 006° 08' 01"

Temperature (°C), Rain (mm), Wind Speed (km/h)

Heat  Cool        Avg
        Mean                              Deg   Deg         Wind                 Dom
    Day Temp  High   Time   Low    Time   Days  Days  Rain  Speed High   Time    Dir
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     1  13.3  18.6   13:02   9.8   04:56   5.0   0.0   1.6   9.8  56.4   13:46   WSW
     2  13.9  18.7   17:18   9.7   02:28   4.4   0.0   0.8  11.6  51.0   15:30     W
     3  15.0  20.8   17:47   8.7   01:24   3.6   0.2   0.0   4.3  23.6   12:24     W
     4  14.7  23.2   16:08   6.9   04:39   4.1   0.5   0.8   7.0  38.2   23:55    SW
     5  14.7  19.5   16:19  10.2   04:02   3.6   0.1   0.0   8.1  34.6   00:25     W
     6  16.0  20.2   10:12  10.5   02:43   2.5   0.2   0.0   4.4  36.4   23:54   SSE
     7  17.6  23.3   18:02  13.9   07:09   1.4   0.6   0.0   5.4  32.8   00:09     S
     8  18.4  23.0   18:02  15.0   05:26   1.0   1.1   0.0   8.9  45.4   10:54   WSW
     9  19.3  25.2   14:32  15.4   02:28   1.0   1.9   2.2   7.0  40.0   17:25     S
    10  17.2  22.7   14:28  14.3   02:44   1.7   0.6   0.0   9.0  43.6   15:40     S
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        16.0  25.2     9     6.9     4    28.3   5.2   5.4   7.5  56.4     1      SW

Giving a mean max of 21.5C and a min of 11.4C, rain well below average, my sun recorder gave up the ghost last year, would imagine its around normal though. Far from a washout in Costa del Louglinstown!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    July hasnt been bad here at all,
    Monthly Climatological Summary for Jul 2016

Name: Loughlinstown   City: Co Dublin   State: Ireland
    Elevation: 24 m  Lat: N 53° 14' 54"   Lon: W 006° 08' 01"

Temperature (°C), Rain (mm), Wind Speed (km/h)

Heat  Cool        Avg
        Mean                              Deg   Deg         Wind                 Dom
    Day Temp  High   Time   Low    Time   Days  Days  Rain  Speed High   Time    Dir
     1  13.3  18.6   13:02   9.8   04:56   5.0   0.0   1.6   9.8  56.4   13:46   WSW
     2  13.9  18.7   17:18   9.7   02:28   4.4   0.0   0.8  11.6  51.0   15:30     W
     3  15.0  20.8   17:47   8.7   01:24   3.6   0.2   0.0   4.3  23.6   12:24     W
     4  14.7  23.2   16:08   6.9   04:39   4.1   0.5   0.8   7.0  38.2   23:55    SW
     5  14.7  19.5   16:19  10.2   04:02   3.6   0.1   0.0   8.1  34.6   00:25     W
     6  16.0  20.2   10:12  10.5   02:43   2.5   0.2   0.0   4.4  36.4   23:54   SSE
     7  17.6  23.3   18:02  13.9   07:09   1.4   0.6   0.0   5.4  32.8   00:09     S
     8  18.4  23.0   18:02  15.0   05:26   1.0   1.1   0.0   8.9  45.4   10:54   WSW
     9  19.3  25.2   14:32  15.4   02:28   1.0   1.9   2.2   7.0  40.0   17:25     S
    10  17.2  22.7   14:28  14.3   02:44   1.7   0.6   0.0   9.0  43.6   15:40     S
        16.0  25.2     9     6.9     4    28.3   5.2   5.4   7.5  56.4     1      SW

Giving a mean max of 21.5C and a min of 11.4C, rain well below average, my sun recorder gave up the ghost last year, would imagine its around normal though. Far from a washout in Costa del Louglinstown!

Yeah, I don't see what's the story with these crazy people saying it's poor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Its poor because its breezy drizzly dull and grey in most of the country. Seriously this is one crap summer we haven't had a summers day since the 8th June yesterday in limerick was like November FFS!

Its poor because its breezy drizzly dull and grey in most of the country. Seriously this is one crap summer we haven't had a summers day since the 8th June yesterday in limerick was like November FFS!

At least you said "most of the country" this time. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

South Dublin and Wicklow had definitely gotten lucky over the past 4 days or so, most of the rain has missed these areas, very different story elsewhere tho. July here has been shocking so far, more like January without frost and temps about 5 or 6C higher, with only 2 dry days this month so far.

Gonzo wrote: »
    South Dublin and Wicklow had definitely gotten lucky over the past 4 days or so, most of the rain has missed these areas, very different story elsewhere tho. July here has been shocking so far, more like January without frost and temps about 5 or 6C higher, with only 2 dry days this month so far.

I'm North Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

sryanbruen wrote: »
    As said multiple times, the weather here is grand. I had a 0.1mm shower about 15 mins ago but that was it. It is starting to brighten up again after that shower when it was very dark for such a small shower. It is feeling quite warm actually also.

The weather where you are located may be "grand" but for the majority of the population, it's not so good. You are located in the driest part of the country. I remember reading that historically, the Kinsealy area has the lowest rainfall figures countrywide and you are very near there. Dublin city and nearby, especially near the coast, is often within the Dublin/Wicklow mountains rain shadow and therefore receives weather that is perceived by most as being rather pleasant when the vast majority of the rest of the country is dull/wet. It was ok here in north Kildare earlier....nothing very summery. Mix of cloud and sunshine and around about 20c. But since mid afternoon, it has been dull, cool and wet.....only clearing now but still very un-summer like.

You seriously need to take into account that most people are not living in such an advantageous area that you are, in terms of perceived pleasant weather.

looking at the Dublin Airport (located close to you) hourly weather reports for the past 24 hours, it really does not tell any sort of story of high summer weather, rainfall, cloud or temperature wise - http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/EIDW.html

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

I was actually following this thread until the inevitable happened, all fighting amongst ourselves now over who has grand and who has bad weather. To be honest Dublin and east were much colder during the last hot spell in late May/June and I was up in Dublin first weekend of July. Not great weather at all. Average and dull. Live in Galway normally and drove back into the sun. The fact is this summer is shaping up to be poor while the children are all off from school and many a parent / childminder would appreciate some nice weather to let them out into! Mist/rain/wind/dull/fresh-these are not words I want to hear as a parent to two young boys! Back to the topic please....now WHAT am I reading in all of the U.K. tabloids about a 6 week heatwave and will we get any???????

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Is it shaping upnlike last summer..average enough on East coast but very windy a lotnof the time. Pleasant but not sit on your patio weather. The West last year just had plenty of cloud and rain. I rem the thread was telling that story last year and think we in that territory again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Carol25 wrote: »
    I was actually following this thread until the inevitable happened, all fighting amongst ourselves now over who has grand and who has bad weather. To be honest Dublin and east were much colder during the last hot spell in late May/June and I was up in Dublin first weekend of July. Not great weather at all. Average and dull. Live in Galway normally and drove back into the sun. The fact is this summer is shaping up to be poor while the children are all off from school and many a parent / childminder would appreciate some nice weather to let them out into! Mist/rain/wind/dull/fresh-these are not words I want to hear as a parent to two young boys! Back to the topic please....now WHAT am I reading in all of the U.K. tabloids about a 6 week heatwave and will we get any???????

Currently no sign of any heatwave weather on the way and 6 weeks is a massive amount of time, weather wise.

As for the "fighting amongst ourselves" comment, my issue is with some poster(s) saying that weather is great and why is everyone moaning, purely based on his/her location, rather than taking into account the country as a whole.

It is quite rare that we see multiple rare bad Summers in a row - just thinking positive here. Multiple bad summers include:

2007-09 (2010 was good (EVERYWHERE, NOT JUST HERE. Only July was bad), so it breaks the period of bad summers that people say from 2007-2012
    1997/98 - Two very bad summers but not a long period of bad summers
    1993/94 - Two very cool and dull summers. They weren't necessarily wet but June 1993 is famous for Dublin's wettest day on record.
    1985-88 - This period of bad summers was very horrible. Each Summer had its atrocious months, August 1985, August 1986, June 1987 and July 1988. July 1988 was famous for Ireland's windiest July day or storm. June 1987 was famous for being the dullest June on record as well as one of the wettest. August 1986 was famous for being the coldest August on record (some stations did not record above 18c all month) and its multiple storms, including August 5th and Hurricane Charley. August 1985 was famous for just being god damn awful, it was cold, wet and dull.

As you can see periods of bad summers are quite rare unlike people say. Sure we have had below average Summers (as people say) like 2001 or 1991 but in the end, they were actually pretty average. It is for this reason why how having two poor summers, 2015 and 2016, I think that 2017 will be a good Summer if this does not come out as one.

The only Summer I've seen with like "6" weeks of good weather is 1976, not even 1995.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

highdef wrote: »
    Currently no sign of any heatwave weather on the way and 6 weeks is a massive amount of time, weather wise.

As for the "fighting amongst ourselves" comment, my issue is with some poster(s) saying that weather is great and why is everyone moaning, purely based on his/her location, rather than taking into account the country as a whole.

Its not, its the constant "IRELAND IS A SH*T COUNTRY BECAUSE OF OUR WEATHER" "I HATE IRELAND" "IRELAND HAS THE WORST CLIMATE"

Seriously its painful to read.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Its not, its the constant "IRELAND IS A SH*T COUNTRY BECAUSE OF OUR WEATHER" "I HATE IRELAND" "IRELAND HAS THE WORST CLIMATE"

Seriously its painful to read.
    Also I thought you couldn't forecast long range, huh?

I hate to argue but he isn't the guy who we argued with about long range forecasting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I hate to argue but he isn't the guy who we argued with about long range forecasting.

Memory is at me.

Deepest apologies highdef, part of post removed.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Memory is at me.

Deepest apologies highdef, part of post removed.

I see how you would get confused tbh though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It has been a disappointing summer so far. Thank goodness for that spell at the end of May/start of June as the 6 months upto that were cool windy and dull.

It seems it also has been a poor summer in France and northern/central Europe.

Looking at the met.ie site it states that the west of Ireland gets around 1000mm - 1400mm of rain per year while the east gets between 750 - 1000mm of rain with the Dublin area getting significantly less. Galway on the otherhand gets significantly more.

I wonder do the yearly rainfall totals average out around the same each year? We haven't had a huge amount of rain this year even though it has been very dull, windy and cool.

One would hope that August will bring something good.

I rarely remember July and August being good months. It tends to be April May and early June that we get the good spells. Plus a spell in September.

We normally get about 2 good summers every decade plus 2 terrible ones and the rest are in the average range.

It has been a disappointing summer so far. Thank goodness for that spell at the end of May/start of June as the 6 months upto that were cool windy and dull.

It seems it also has been a poor summer in France and northern/central Europe.

Looking at the met.ie site it states that the west of Ireland gets around 1000mm - 1400mm of rain per year while the east gets between 750 - 1000mm of rain with the Dublin area getting significantly less. Galway on the otherhand gets significantly more.

I wonder do the yearly rainfall totals average out around the same each year? We haven't had a huge amount of rain this year even though it has been very dull, windy and cool.

One would hope that August will bring something good.

I rarely remember July and August being good months. It tends to be April May and early June that we get the good spells. Plus a spell in September.

We normally get about 2 good summers every decade plus 2 terrible ones and the rest are in the average range.

The last time July was good was back in 2014. The last time August was good (2012 was meh... quite variable. 2013 was dull.) was back in 2010. The last time both July and August were good was way back in... oh god, 1984 I think? Maybe 1983, but one of these. We are owed a good August bro, it's been the second most awful month recently besides May (2016 was brilliant though - so we got paid back this year for it).

I guess us in the east really do have it lucky. Whilst parts of Dublin had quite a dull April, I have actually recorded every month except June sunnier than normal this year so far. As the country as a whole, only February, March and May have been sunnier than normal.

And what do you mean by this?
    I wonder do the yearly rainfall totals average out around the same each year?

Well do years vary hugely in rainfall totals or do they come in pretty close to an average?

Well do years vary hugely in rainfall totals or do they come in pretty close to an average?

Well, they're very variable.

2015 was exceptionally wet with NO month completely dry in Ireland.
    2014 was rather wet with the Winter having a huge effect on this rainfall.
    2013 was one of the driest in recent years but not completely dry.
    2012 was very variable with many eastern regions faring the worst compared to normal. Many were also quite average.
    2011 was largely wet, much more across the west than the east. A fun fact: It was the driest year on record across some parts of the midlands of England whilst it was the wettest year on record in Scotland.
    2010 was very dry. Everywhere was dry compared to normal. It was Cork Airport's driest year on record.
    2009 was extremely wet. It was and is still to this day, Valentia Observatory (Ireland's wettest station)'s wettest year on record. This was largely due to how wet November was though.
    2008 was quite wet, much like 2014.

Most years nowadays due to climate change and global warming (warmer air can hold more moisture - so heavier rainfall) tend to be wetter than normal and they get wetter and wetter. 2015 was Scotland's 2nd wettest year on record btw after 2011. It was also the wettest on record in parts of Ireland.

Is there actually any final figures put out for each year?

Is there actually any final figures put out for each year?

'Em you can check each individual station on Met Éireann's site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Does anybody discuss the charts anymore?

• Advertisement

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Does anybody discuss the charts anymore?

I don't even believe in those things :rolleyes:. Plus Maquiladora does that and we don't know where he has gone off to.

Advertisement