Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

No its all music downloads now

Seriously though.

This Summer hasnt been bad at all in Sligo apart from the past 10 days!! Still even in them wev broken 20c a couple of times.

Last Summer we broke 20c a couple of times in total!

This Summer wev broken it at least 15 times.

One curious fact.
    Why is Saturday always a warmer day than Sunday or am I imagining this?

Rainfall does tend to even out over the year. Even in exceptionally wet ones it usually finishes about 150mm above average and then in dry ones around 100 to 150mm below average.

Due to Climate Change there is now more cloud about around latitudes such as ours and the Jet Stream is fuucked meaning our Summers are basically flootered and all we can hope for is some flukey warm or warm n humid spells

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

pauldry wrote: »
    No its all music downloads now

Seriously though.

This Summer hasnt been bad at all in Sligo apart from the past 10 days!! Still even in them wev broken 20c a couple of times.

Last Summer we broke 20c a couple of times in total!

This Summer wev broken it at least 15 times.

One curious fact.
    Why is Saturday always a warmer day than Sunday or am I imagining this?

Rainfall does tend to even out over the year. Even in exceptionally wet ones it usually finishes about 150mm above average and then in dry ones around 100 to 150mm below average.

Due to Climate Change there is now more cloud about around latitudes such as ours and the Jet Stream is fuucked meaning our Summers are basically flootered and all we can hope for is some flukey warm or warm n humid spells

I will see how often a Saturday is warmer than a Sunday in a warm spell later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

How is it promised tomorrow around Ballintubber Abbey / Ashford castle / Mayo in General direction?
    Am going to a wedding tomorrow there

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I don't even believe in those things :rolleyes:. Plus Maquiladora does that and we don't know where he has gone off to.

He's like a cat. He'll be back when he gets hungry...... for snow!

Rikand wrote: »
    He's like a cat. He'll be back when he gets hungry...... for snow!

Hahaha nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

How is it promised tomorrow around Ballintubber Abbey / Ashford castle / Mayo in General direction?
    Am going to a wedding tomorrow there

Like all weddings, it will be long, drawn out and incredibly boring. :)

My guess is cool with some showers. Similar to this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Was only thinking myself that the old regulars haven't been around these parts in a while - cant wait for the chart chat to start!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Well the main chart watcher in summer is Ian "Triple-Point" Car, then there is a lull until around mid October when Maq "Omega" Uiladora starts posting around these parts.
    Not much exciting going on the moment, somehow I think there will be charts aplenty in few months time again.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Does anybody discuss the charts anymore?

Only if they indicate snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Pretty poor weather so far this july, may/early june fantastic temperature and dry sunny weather, whats the prediction for july, halfway almost but very poor first half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

I love how the weather report always seems pretty positive the day before and then when I check again in the morning: Partly sunny changes to partly rainy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

armabelle wrote: »
    I love how the weather report always seems pretty positive the day before and then when I check again in the morning: Partly sunny changes to partly rainy

Been having the opposite experience here in D7 - forecast shows rain, and then on the day the chance of rain drops and we're left with broken sunshine. If I was in a position to make use of good weather at the minute, I'd have to say the last weeks have been pretty pleasant here, aside from a couple of well telegraphed downpours. There hasn't been what I'd call a rainy day in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I've decided after many summers of dipping in and out of here and watching the forecasts on the telly box nightly that the only way to get an accurate forecast for the day in your particular area is stick your head out the window first thing in the morning.

That's generally your weather til lunch time. Repeat that process three times a day and there you have it.

as an example I have something on on Saturday and the Met.ie forecast for it has changed every day since Monday, in fact I think it changed twice on Monday if I recall correctly

mitresize5 wrote: »
    I've decided after many summers of dipping in and out of here and watching the forecasts on the telly box nightly that the only way to get an accurate forecast for the day in your particular area is stick your head out the window first thing in the morning.

That's generally your weather til lunch time. Repeat that process three times a day and there you have it.

as an example I have something on on Saturday and the Met.ie forecast for it has changed every day since Monday, in fact I think it changed twice on Monday if I recall correctly

I find the weather to be too unstable to do that. Like some mornings are rainy then partly sunny then just cloudy and then rainy again in the space of two hour

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

MJohnston wrote: »
    Been having the opposite experience here in D7 - forecast shows rain, and then on the day the chance of rain drops and we're left with broken sunshine. If I was in a position to make use of good weather at the minute, I'd have to say the last weeks have been pretty pleasant here, aside from a couple of well telegraphed downpours. There hasn't been what I'd call a rainy day in a long time.

my heart bleeds for ya

:pac:

Today has been the wettest day since the 1st of this month at Grange. 4.9mm of showers today so far, still continuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Rikand wrote: »
    my heart bleeds for ya

:pac:

I'm trapped indoors with a pooping newborn either way ;)

what a miserable life

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

armabelle wrote: »

391688.PNG

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Cool dull breezy night look I know this is probably an average summer but people seem really fed up with the weather at the moment.

• Advertisement

Cool dull breezy night look I know this is probably an average summer but people seem really fed up with the weather at the moment.

I'm not. I'm very used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I'm not. I'm very used to it.

good for you

but im sure like most we would like the odd weekend,nice monday club etc

used to it or not it is nice in summer to have summer weather

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

jambofc wrote: »
    good for you

but im sure like most we would like the odd weekend,nice monday club etc

used to it or not it is nice in summer to have summer weather

Well you're in the wrong country. This is our climate, some here can't seem to grasp that.

I do long for a warm day though, got 5 minutes today of hot sunshine before it got cold again, I have a pair of shorts aching to be worn but it's too cold. As well as that Met Eireann forecasted Friday up to 24c, but now its awful. And the Saturday before up to 24c, but that was just as awful as the other days.

Ideally our warm spell would be in July and not May, but that's our climate and that's life, so we just need to deal with it, and if we can't just grab a sun holiday bargain in September or something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Well you're in the wrong country. This is our climate, some here can't seem to grasp that.

Ideally our warm spell would be in July and not May, but that's our climate and that's life, so we just need to deal with it, and if we can't just grab a sun holiday bargain in September or something :)

Agreed, although i'm wearing my shorts, as i dont feel the cold to much, i would consider it cool but not cold, i agree about the climate, it is what it is, as iv'e posted before, i don't care if its cloudy or cold as long as its dry, you either make the most of the dry weather we get, or you moan about the other side of it, i prefer to enjoy it while we get it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

whats annoying about this summer is that its raining on and off almost every day. I can only think of 2 days over the past month where it hasn't rained at some point. Full days of rain have been rare this summer but the lack of sunshine, amount of showers and relatively cool conditions is enough to make this summer come across as crap or below average.

We were spoilt in May and first week of June, Ive only seen 2 decent days here since that fine spell of weather broke around the 12th June.

It seems like were shaping up for a classic Irish summer of a nice early start then a rubbish July and August. Im sure the first 2 weeks of September will turn out to be a lot dryer and warmer than what were currently experiencing!

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    391688.PNG

????

Gonzo wrote: »
    whats annoying about this summer is that its raining on and off almost every day. I can only think of 2 days over the past month where it hasn't rained at some point. Full days of rain have been rare this summer but the lack of sunshine, amount of showers and relatively cool conditions is enough to make this summer come across as crap or below average.

We were spoilt in May and first week of June, Ive only seen 2 decent days here since that fine spell of weather broke around the 12th June.

It seems like were shaping up for a classic Irish summer of a nice early start then a rubbish July and August. Im sure the first 2 weeks of September will turn out to be a lot dryer and warmer than what were currently experiencing!

Yeah, this is our first summer and we really didn't know just how bad it was. They make jokes and talk about the rain and cloud here but I thought one day of sunshine per week wouldn't be unrealistic.

Agreed, although i'm wearing my shorts, as i dont feel the cold to much, i would consider it cool but not cold, i agree about the climate, it is what it is, as iv'e posted before, i don't care if its cloudy or cold as long as its dry, you either make the most of the dry weather we get, or you moan about the other side of it, i prefer to enjoy it while we get it

I like dry more than I like rainy. I guess here we need to appreciate when it doesn't rain and as for sunshine... forget it completely.

The thing for our family is that we really feel like the lack of sunshine is the factor and not the rain. It could rain a lot and then be done with it for a while and have some sun but it seems that it is always almost raining and usually always cloudy, sun has no chance to shine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

I can take no more.

The Irish Summer is a wonderful thing. The key ingredient in every Irish summer is simple.....LIGHT! It is bright in the evenings until 10pm/11pm. It's wonderful! You come home in the evenings to 4/5 hours of LIGHT. You would sell your soul for 4 hours of evening LIGHT in November/December/January. Don't forget that. We do not get extreme heat in Ireland and I love that - we do get long hours of light and we need to embrace it.

And as for rain, if rain is stopping you enjoying our wonderful summer then you lead a very sheltered existence. You can do anything in the rain once you have the right mindset. Running and walking in the rain can be very enjoyable. Buy the best raingear if your feel rainwater will hurt you. Swimming in the rain is truly splendid. As a fisherman, I love wet drizzly days with low cloud. Playing sports in the rain can be a challenge but who doesn't love a challenge and feel better after accomplishing a challenge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

The South and East will get much better weather in the next 5 to 7 days.

Still a bit murky at times but temperatures over 20c a number of days and more sun.

The West and North might get the odd beneficial warm sunny spell from this but as is typical in an Irish Summer (unless you lived in the 70s) Rain and mist will frequent the West and North each day.. especially in the morning and evening

Advertisement