Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Well you're in the wrong country. This is our climate, some here can't seem to grasp that.

I do long for a warm day though, got 5 minutes today of hot sunshine before it got cold again, I have a pair of shorts aching to be worn but it's too cold. As well as that Met Eireann forecasted Friday up to 24c, but now its awful. And the Saturday before up to 24c, but that was just as awful as the other days.

Ideally our warm spell would be in July and not May, but that's our climate and that's life, so we just need to deal with it, and if we can't just grab a sun holiday bargain in September or something :)

cant seem to grasp that....lol
    im well aware what Irish weather is like but an odd weekend here an there in high summer is not much to ask for irish weather or not it has been terrible overcast with a strongish wind most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I can take no more.

The Irish Summer is a wonderful thing. The key ingredient in every Irish summer is simple.....LIGHT! It is bright in the evenings until 10pm/11pm. It's wonderful! You come home in the evenings to 4/5 hours of LIGHT. You would sell your soul for 4 hours of evening LIGHT in November/December/January. Don't forget that. We do not get extreme heat in Ireland and I love that - we do get long hours of light and we need to embrace it.

And as for rain, if rain is stopping you enjoying our wonderful summer then you lead a very sheltered existence. You can do anything in the rain once you have the right mindset. Running and walking in the rain can be very enjoyable. Buy the best raingear if your feel rainwater will hurt you. Swimming in the rain is truly splendid. As a fisherman, I love wet drizzly days with low cloud. Playing sports in the rain can be a challenge but who doesn't love a challenge and feel better after accomplishing a challenge?

Its gas how people see things differently

I despise all the extra light ! Foll on darkness at 4pm !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like we will get a bit of relief from the wind, cool and showers with a better week next week.

In fairness tho its not just Ireland that has had a crap summer. England normally gets a half decent summer and their summer so far has possibly been worse than ours, they didnt even get the good weather back in May/early June. Most of northern France and the low countries have had crap weather as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I think it's funny how we see things differently depending on our preferences. I hate heat and I really like rain. I think it has been pretty cool for the past month or so which I have enjoyed, especially since May and early June were quite warm.

But I feel like we have had terribly dry weather overall for the past few months and indeed in general over the year. Every day I look at the forecast and it seems rain is predicted most days but it rarely materialises! It seems to keep getting pushed back or it lasts less than ten minutes and it's gone. I think we have only had two or three wet days in the past several months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

I think now all this el nino stuff has died down for a few years we will get meh weather for the next few months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

pauldry wrote: »
    I think now all this el nino stuff has died down for a few years we will get meh weather for the next few months

What about the La Niña?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

Gonzo wrote: »
    looks like we will get a bit of relief from the wind, cool and showers with a better week next week.

In fairness tho its not just Ireland that has had a crap summer. England normally gets a half decent summer and their summer so far has possibly been worse than ours, they didnt even get the good weather back in May/early June. Most of northern France and the low countries have had crap weather as well.

If the weather report can't even predict what kind of weather we will have tomorrow, how can you possible predict what kind of weather we will have next week?

I think it's funny how we see things differently depending on our preferences. I hate heat and I really like rain. I think it has been pretty cool for the past month or so which I have enjoyed, especially since May and early June were quite warm.

But I feel like we have had terribly dry weather overall for the past few months and indeed in general over the year. Every day I look at the forecast and it seems rain is predicted most days but it rarely materialises! It seems to keep getting pushed back or it lasts less than ten minutes and it's gone. I think we have only had two or three wet days in the past several months.

All - not some - all, Irish people I have met hate the weather here. You must be a rare one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

armabelle wrote: »
    All - not some - all, Irish people I have met hate the weather here. You must be a rare one.

Don't believe everything you hear. When we got the heatwave in 2013 I heard more people cribbing than normal. Its just an Irish thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Its gas how people see things differently

I despise all the extra light ! Roll on darkness at 4pm !

Here here

Dark by 5, a hot shower, a bowl of soup and a roaring fire is far better than extra daylight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Lucreto wrote: »
    Here here

Dark by 5, a hot shower, a bowl of soup and a roaring fire is far better than extra daylight.

Different strokes for different folks....extra daylight and the associated extra warmth for me. Then again I have some Mediterranean blood in me so perhaps that's why I prefer the warmth. Lucreto, maybe you could be fully Irish going back generations or even be of Viking origin, explaining your liking for colder, darker conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

I have long since despaired of our seriously awful climate and reading some of the posts here I'm beginning to despair of the paddy penchant for denial.

All this "this is the Irish climate,get over it" "there are brilliant things in Ireland besides the weather" and the best "ah shur we've great light" is all a crock of ****e. Sorry but it is.

Our climate happens to be one of the worst in the world,get over that! And before people start going on about typhoons etc,just look at the flood risk in many parts of this great ole Emerald isle. A friend of mine here in Kerry has had her new house flooded not once but three times! Another old couple I know had to abandon their home after it was destroyed by floods.

And Irish summers of the modern era /post climate change these may be, but I grew up in the sixties and seventies when real summers did actually happen in Ireland. Not brilliant, not totally rain free, but beach, ice cream and summer clothes worthy, certainly. Unless all my old pics of childhood are telling lies.

And to armabelle, I hugely sympathise. Weather happens to be important in my life. And only that my livelihood and loved ones are here, there is no way I'd stay living in Ireland.

Yes the country does have its advantages. But weather is certainly not one.Let's call a spade a fine big fat spade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭secman

Nothing like a good pair of rose tinted glasses........

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

acequion wrote: »
    I have long since despaired of our seriously awful climate and reading some of the posts here I'm beginning to despair of the paddy penchant for denial.

All this "this is the Irish climate,get over it" "there are brilliant things in Ireland besides the weather" and the best "ah shur we've great light" is all a crock of ****e. Sorry but it is.

Our climate happens to be one of the worst in the world,get over that! And before people start going on about typhoons etc,just look at the flood risk in many parts of this great ole Emerald isle. A friend of mine here in Kerry has had her new house flooded not once but three times! Another old couple I know had to abandon their home after it was destroyed by floods.

And Irish summers of the modern era /post climate change these may be, but I grew up in the sixties and seventies when real summers did actually happen in Ireland. Not brilliant, not totally rain free, but beach, ice cream and summer clothes worthy, certainly. Unless all my old pics of childhood are telling lies.

And to armabelle, I hugely sympathise. Weather happens to be important in my life. And only that my livelihood and loved ones are here, there is no way I'd stay living in Ireland.

Yes the country does have its advantages. But weather is certainly not one.Let's call a spade a fine big fat spade.

The hyperbole is strong in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

The hyperbole is strong in this one.

"Hyperbole" In what way? Or are you another denial niall?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

highdef wrote: »
    Different strokes for different folks....extra daylight and the associated extra warmth for me. Then again I have some Mediterranean blood in me so perhaps that's why I prefer the warmth. Lucreto, maybe you could be fully Irish going back generations or even be of Viking origin, explaining your liking for colder, darker conditions.

I like the long summer evenings and dark winter nights. I guess that makes me a native Irish. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

The facts are that at 9 pm tonight it was mulling rain dark and 12 degrees it's the middle of July it's deplorable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I think it's unusual to like rain even in Ireland yes, but not at all unusual to hate heat in my experience. On a forum about weather however I'm sure there's plenty of others who enjoy rain. It's hardly surprising that a forum like this would attract people interested in all types of weather.

Though I'm not sure where you got the impression I don't hate the weather here, I certainly never said that. I'm not a fan of our boring weather at all. Not enough of anything for my liking really.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    What about the La Niña?

Oh no doubt shel bring her own troubles - cool meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

pauldry wrote: »
    Oh no doubt shel bring her own troubles - cool meh.

Hopefully a return back to December 2010 conditions!!!! (La Nina happened during that)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Hopefully a return back to December 2010 conditions!!!! (La Nina happened during that)

Need a really cold winter as we haven't had one since especially after last year. But after Christmas this time.

Hopefully a strong La Nina, mix with the low solar output and hope we get an Icelandic volcano eruption might help will bring some joy this Winter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Sun, Mon, Tues looking fairly warm for a good part of the country, the west / North as said by Met Eireann possibly duller with a chance of rain with weak fronts pushing onto the coast. The jet looks quite weak and fractured early next week letting weather settle a bit for a few days but seems to resume its current trend of over or below us from the week end on up until the end of the month.

NXNP4Ji.gif?1

ysnR0om.gif?2

P02mB4k.png?1

Vi3lyGm.png?1

And the Low pushing out of France mentioned by MT around mid week.

Tts51LT.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Tomorrow actually looks relatively tomorrow again, holidaying away from West Clare thank god, retreated in the south east.

Looks like I may finally be able to get on those shorts again?

I think it's unusual to like rain even in Ireland yes, but not at all unusual to hate heat in my experience. On a forum about weather however I'm sure there's plenty of others who enjoy rain. It's hardly surprising that a forum like this would attract people interested in all types of weather.

Though I'm not sure where you got the impression I don't hate the weather here, I certainly never said that. I'm not a fan of our boring weather at all. Not enough of anything for my liking really.

probably misunderstood you there slightly, thanks for the clarification

Is this true:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/weather/1622048-five-gloomiest-sunniest-countries-world.html

it says Ireland the 3rd most gloomiest country in the world after Iceland and Scotland!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

probably misunderstood you there slightly, thanks for the clarification

Is this true:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/weather/1622048-five-gloomiest-sunniest-countries-world.html

it says Ireland the 3rd most gloomiest country in the world after Iceland and Scotland!!!

They're in a similar geographical location to Ireland, so I wouldn't see why not. Irish weather isn't broken or exceptionally poor right now - we are located exactly where you'd expect to see mostly overcast, dull weather.

The way some of you are getting on its like Irish people took a referendum and voted to stick with dull weather.

MJohnston wrote: »
    They're in a similar geographical location to Ireland, so I wouldn't see why not. Irish weather isn't broken or exceptionally poor right now - we are located exactly where you'd expect to see mostly overcast, dull weather.

The way some of you are getting on its like Irish people took a referendum and voted to stick with dull weather.

I am not at all getting at that, I promise!

So then this region of Ireland, Scotland and Iceland have the gloomiest weather in the world? That is a statistic worthy of remembering and one not many people have mentioned before. That is interesting indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I am not at all getting at that, I promise!

So then this region of Ireland, Scotland and Iceland have the gloomiest weather in the world? That is a statistic worthy of remembering and one not many people have mentioned before. That is interesting indeed.

As countries, I can certainly imagine that it is true - there are very few other island countries located as Ireland, Iceland, and Scotland are in the world. Continental areas on the same latitudes as us don't get the same climate simply due to their continental location. Our position as an island country, at the edge of a large ocean, in the path of a jet stream, is pretty unique.

It's also something every Irish person learns about in secondary school geography.

Id say it will be 25c in one or 2 spots the next few days. You cant ask better than that

Though 30c is only 300km to the South

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Another dull, windy and wet day in Castlebar, we have nearly had the same amount of rain this year in the first 6 months as we had in the first 6 months of last year, which was the wettest in over 50 years, the annual temperature is also currently .5C lower so far than last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

A good drying day here with a good warm wind.

Advertisement