Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

It was so dark and miserable here today that I put the lights on before 7pm. At this stage I don't care about heat but would love some bright dry weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

sunbeam wrote: »
    It was so dark and miserable here today that I put the lights on before 7pm. At this stage I don't care about heat but would love some bright dry weather.

This has been sadly missing and I think misunderstood by our friends on the east coast. Munsters weather this summer has been remarkably 'average' yesterday in cork was everybit as bad as Tuesday was a good day. It's been very dull here imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

This has been sadly missing and I think misunderstood by our friends on the east coast. Munsters weather this summer has been remarkably 'average' yesterday in cork was everybit as bad as Tuesday was a good day. It's been very dull here imho.

Even the 20 mile wide coastal strip from Bray down to Wexford can have markedly different weather even compared to the rest of the 'East' further north and inland. 2014 was a prime example of this. For most of the country 2014 was Meh compared to 2013. For a 20 mile wide strip from Bray through Arklow Wexford it was arguably as good if not better than 2013. I'd watch convection get going in the morning and the rest of the country would cloud over again day after day, except the Wicklow mountains and/or a combination of maritime air, held convection down along the coast and this coastal strip would hold its blue skies all day long. 2014 was just as good as 2013 for us.

Funnily enough thats even happening today. Sat shows the country covered and yet its blue over Bray today with temps of 23ºc. You can see the cloud disappating and breaking up over the wicklow mountains as it makes its way towards Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Calibos wrote: »
    Even the 20 mile wide coastal strip from Bray down to Wexford can have markedly different weather even compared to the rest of the 'East' further north and inland. 2014 was a prime example of this. For most of the country 2014 was Meh compared to 2013. For a 20 mile wide strip from Bray through Arklow Wexford it was arguably as good if not better than 2013. I'd watch convection get going in the morning and the rest of the country would cloud over again day after day, except the Wicklow mountains and/or a combination of maritime air, held convection down along the coast and this coastal strip would hold its blue skies all day long. 2014 was just as good as 2013 for us.

Funnily enough thats even happening today. Sat shows the country covered and yet its blue over Bray today with temps of 23ºc. You can see the cloud disappating and breaking up over the wicklow mountains as it makes its way towards Bray.

2013 and 2014 were equal here if you ask me.

2013 had:

- A dry, sunny and rather cool (not exceptionally so) June
    - An exceptionally warm, sunny and wet July
    - A warm, dry and dull August

2014 had:

- A dry, sunny and warm June
    - A warm, dry and sunny July
    - An extremely wet, cold and sunny August

Neither Summer was better as they both had their con months.

I gotta say though, July 2014 was the best month out of them all here.

My quantity of sunshine during both summers

2013: 598 hours
    2014: 628 hours

My deviation of average temperature during both summers

2013: +1.5c
    2014: +0.8c

So 2013 was warmer but 2014 was sunnier?

I don't doubt any of that but sometimes I feel when posters from around the country post weather conditions that are different to the east coast there kinda scorned on. Take yesterday in cork a washout of an afternoon even last Tuesday the day that made all the headlines turned cloudy at 5pm and was raining on the coast by 7.

• Advertisement

I don't doubt any of that but sometimes I feel when posters from around the country post weather conditions that are different to the east coast there kinda scorned on. Take yesterday in cork a washout of an afternoon even last Tuesday the day that made all the headlines turned cloudy at 5pm and was raining on the coast by 7.

Yeah like how the North was basking in sunshine and heat in the second week of May whilst the South and East here were suffering cooler temperatures as well as heavy downpours or rainfall.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    As usual, the statistician is here to serve you :). Days with 30c or more in Ireland:

July 19 2016
    July 8/9/10/11/12/19/20 2013
    July 17/18/19 2006
    July 11/12 2005
    August 5/7/8 2003
    August 1/2/3/4/11/17/18/19/20 1995
    June 26/27/28/29/30 1995
    August 3 1990
    July 18 1989

July 19 2016 is now added to the list :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Cooler and cloudier day overall today.
    Nice being able to walk around without a river falling from my forehead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Calibos wrote: »

It is a pity that Met Eireann don't have a station reporting hourly along the East coast south of Bray at the moment. It would sometimes make interesting reports compared to the rest of the country.

The consistent 20s have been nice here.

15th: 25.4c
    16th: 23.2c
    17th: 23.5c
    18th: 27.1c
    19th: 28.6c
    20th: 21.6c
    21st: 23.2c
    22nd: 20.5c

• Advertisement

Mitribah, Kuwait recorded 54c yesterday, only 2c short of the all-time Earth record high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Lots of sunny breaks in Arklow today,beautiful day peaking at 22.6c

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Cloudy and EXTREMELY dull all day in east Galway all day
    Had to put on a jumper too :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Yeah the wind off the Atlantic is murky but by the time it's crossed 300 miles of land it dries and breaks especially in the lee of hills which explains in part also why it's warm here today
    That and what calibos says

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Yeah the wind off the Atlantic is murky but by the time it's crossed 300 miles of land it dries and breaks especially in the lee of hills which explains in part also why it's warm here today
    That and what calibos says

I wish it was 300 miles, it would offer us on the east an extra 140 kilometers of protection on the 300 kilometers we already have. The further you are away from the North Atlantic, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭glightning

Totally agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

The met eireann forecast of sunshine after the rain has changed to some sunny spells now.

Just put some sunny spells and then if it changes people wont be mad

Lashed here between 930 n 1030. 5mm of rain in that hour. Stopped now n cloudy

Cool and cloudy at the moment. Hope it improves this afternoon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

With the wind picking up here in Kerry the cloud is beginning to break up .

18C and feeling quite warm in the humidity . Not bad.

I just noticed that this year marks the 61st anniversary of Ireland's sunniest month on record, July 1955.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    Cloudy and EXTREMELY dull all day in east Galway all day
    Had to put on a jumper too :(

same but with added drizzle

Wind picking up here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Still wet here even though it says "mainly dry" but wet on forecast

At least another clear night followed by more rain tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Lovely day in north county Dublin...sunny spells and T-shirt and shorts weather again. Better than expected and great for the malahide and swords festivals.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Pretty good here too in south Co. Dublin. Sunny spells. 21.6c atm.

Nice day here now sun has made a few appearances and it's nice and warm. Nothing like Monday and Tuesday but acceptable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

no sun here today but mild enough, 18C.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Is there anything special about today in terms of it feeling heavy? I have been exhausted all day and I can't think of any other reason other then the weather! Happens sometimes on days when it feels heavy!

Getting brighter after a very light patch of drizzle.
    Breeze has died down also

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    Is there anything special about today in terms of it feeling heavy? I have been exhausted all day and I can't think of any other reason other then the weather! Happens sometimes on days when it feels heavy!

There is nothing special about the weather on any day during the week ahead. It is very average.

Advertisement