Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

dryan wrote: »
    Anyone like to throw a guess as to what the weather will be like over the next 2/3 weeks?

What are the long range models showing?

Any improvement on the horizon?
    Some farming work that i need to get done and need some dry weather for it..

Thanks.

The outlook isn't great for the first week of August with cooler and more unsettled weather.
    After that who knows.

Rain wise we have got very little over the last 3 months so that may be a factor looking ahead.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Well aren't you lucky... I only had 4 days of 20c+ last July.

Costa del Southside!

Warm here now (in Dublin 16). 22.5c atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Costa del Southside!

Oh dear god not you too!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Oh dear god not you too!

Might as well...:p

Have not heard about Costa del Bray for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

dryan wrote: »
    Anyone like to throw a guess as to what the weather will be like over the next 2/3 weeks?

What are the long range models showing?

Any improvement on the horizon?
    Some farming work that i need to get done and need some dry weather for it..

Thanks.

Well again, I don't look at models, I predict by my own so I'll give my own shot at it (again I say, I predicted how June would be warm but thundery downpours at times from last December - to show that these aren't just silly predictions like those you find in tabloid newspapers like "HOTTEST SUMMER ON RECORD coming" or "COLDEST WEATHER SINCE 1963 coming" etc.

I predicted that August would overall be a warm, wet and sunny month. Looking ahead, it is still going towards what I predicted except it could be rather "mild" than "warm" because of gales during the first half. The jet stream is looking much more powerful this time around in contrast to this week and the one just gone due to a heatwave in the USA. When we normally get powerful jet streams, it is never a good sign. Months with powerful jet streams:

- All of Winter 2015/16
    - November 2015
    - August 2015
    - January 2015
    - All of Winter 2013/14
    - October 2013
    - June 2012

None of these months were drier than normal, however, of course, there are some exceptions with various regions being drier than normal (eastern regions in January 2015 and some parts of the west in October 2013 for example). So yes, it is looking wet like I predicted yet rather mild, not particularly cool as people say on this. My temperatures to stay the least (here in Dublin) are looking in the mild range i.e. slightly above average. Whilst the west are looking to have a rather average or cool start to August with slightly below average temperatures.

This is what it is looking like right now

First half of August: Rather wet, mild and exceptionally windy. Sunny spells from time to time.
    Second half of August: Changeable and warm but mostly calm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Sligo= heavy mist all day so far

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

from the sound of things August could turn out to be the worst month of this summer, hope I'm wrong tho. Here today is the first real disappointing day in a few weeks, cool, dark skies and rain/drizzle never more than 20 minutes away.

edit, its close to 20C here but does not feel anything like it.

Gonzo wrote: »
    from the sound of things August could turn out to be the worst month of this summer, hope I'm wrong tho.

No June is the worst, that spell of "fine" weather wasn't so fine here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

22.9c now in Costa del Arklow
    Another gorgeous day \0/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

ArKl0w wrote: »
    22.9c now in Costa del Arklow
    Another gorgeous day \0/

No, it's Playa Del Arklow and Costa Del Bray. (Maybe you're not the alter ego of who I thought you were or else you would have already known the correct nonclementure) ;):D

• Advertisement

23.6c now in playa del Arklow:D

This is a fantastic summer 0/

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

The irony is that people from Costa Del whatever and Playa Del wherever would laugh you out of the place if you tried to tell them that the southeast coast of Ireland was similar to their areas! 23 degrees would be classed as mild spring weather to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Mostly cloudy but warm.
    Not a bad day tbh!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Been a very cloudy and at times damp and dull week here in Kerry, mild enough but nothing great. I see Doc mentions getting 22 days with 20C+ for Dub 16, here it is 7 days with 20+, 6 days with 19C +.

At this stage looking forward to the forecasts for this weekend starting with tomorrow as the day hopefully brightens up bit after a dull start with a developing NW'ly breeze with possible showers which I dont mind as they will keep the air fresh at least. Fresher with some showers and sunny spells on Saturday which again is far better then the drab dullness here of late. A bit cooler Sunday but should be bright and fresh and we seem to dodge the bulk of the rain on Monday as it clips the South coast. The Jet picks up next week with indications of more unsettled weather after Monday, spells of wind and rain being mentioned.

z5QaHUt.gif

fk2tpEb.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yeah next week looks like Autumn for everyone

Apart from Sunday 17th 22c Monday 18th 23c and Tuesday 19th 28.4c July has been poor in Sligo.

Even the above days had rain too

If heatwaves in US cause stty weather here there is a lot of stty weather on the horizon.

My prediction for August Dry at first Monday, rain showers n wind for a week then warm or very warm for 3 or 4 days then misty and moist in the West and North but 22c in the South and East

Despite the first few days being very wet in the west, the 1st half of August last year was generally pleasant with the opposite this year. So could the 2nd half of August be better than it was last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Despite the first few days being very wet in the west, the 1st half of August last year was generally pleasant with the opposite this year. So could the 2nd half of August be better than it was last year?

It was bad in Mayo for the majority of August last year, we had over 135mm of rain in Castlebar.

Still 18c at nearly 10 pm in Arklow
    Lovely out there
    Crazy island for its contrasts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Still 18c at nearly 10 pm in Arklow
    Lovely out there
    Crazy island for its contrasts!

You better believe it.

Xenji wrote: »
    It was bad in Mayo for the majority of August last year, we had over 135mm of rain in Castlebar.

Look at the variations between each half of August last year here

Rainfall

1st half (1st-15th): 7.9mm
    2nd half (16th-31st): 74.0mm

Temperature

1st half: 14.4c (still above average here)
    2nd half: 12.9c

Sunshine

1st half: 98 hours
    2nd half: 45 hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pauldry

JJayoo wrote: »
    Sligo= heavy mist all day so far

Yes JJayoo a week of mist really

Through all the mist its easy to forget theres been quite a lot of fine weather but though the mist today was warm as opposed to cold mist yesterday july has been easily the worst of the may june july type Summer.
    Albeit with the strange roastn 19th July with mearly 2 hours of continuous thunder n lightning

August looks like autumn in set ups but before mid month therel be a warm period

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Soaked by a steady spray of drizzle this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Another grey dull overcast start to the day here. July for here has been mild and grey not much sunshine not a lot of raim just grey and dull and for the marquee month of the summer disappointingly 'average'. I always feel the summer in Ireland is the period between the 2 bank holidays next week is autumn.

A pleasant sunny start here for a change after many dull mornings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Dry bright morning in castlebar with good spells of sunshine in light winds

A pleasant sunny start here for a change after many dull mornings.

You need to get up earlier! :P

It was a horrible morning here in Dublin (on this side of the city at least). 4.8mm of rain here (in Dublin 16) from around 6 to 9am.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    You need to get up earlier! :P

It was a horrible morning here in Dublin (on this side of the city at least). 4.8mm of rain here (in Dublin 16) from around 6 to 9am.

Well according to my rain gauge, there was no rainfall here since I last checked it (22:00 on the 28th).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Cloud breaking up and good sunlight getting through with individual clouds getting smaller here in Kerry, much better air quality today. Cool enough at about 16C

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

nice sunny day here but feeling fresh at only 16C

• Advertisement

Knock Airport recorded only 3.4 hours of sunshine from July 21st - 27th? Genie mac, that is extremely low. I am wondering if this could beat July 2011 as the station's dullest July on record.

Advertisement