Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Actually the east coast isn't doing too badly this summer, I'm amazed how many days I have had temps above 20c even when we are under the influence of bog standard westerly or north westerly airflows, I even recorded a max of 20.3c today.
    I am becoming increasingly optimistic looking at the recent model output, they are all showing the Azores building but not great if you are living in the west and especially the north west.
    http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2016073112/ECM1-144.GIF?31-0

Why is this bad for the west?
    Bad as in lower temps than the east OR bad as in rain.
    Can't take much more rain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

km79 wrote: »
    Why is this bad for the west?
    Bad as in lower temps than the east OR bad as in rain.
    A tropical maritime airflow gives cloudy muggy and drizzly weather in the west but in the Dublin and east Wicklow areas its a completely different story, Supercell's micro climate in south Dublin is the perfect example.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

A tropical maritime airflow gives cloudy muggy and drizzly weather in the west but in the Dublin and east Wicklow areas its a completely different story, Supercell's micro climate in south Dublin is the perfect example.

And don't forget mine :), 28.6c on the 19th of July whilst much of Dublin had 24c.

So more of the same
    Great :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

We've had shockingly little rain here my well is actually under pressure

It would not be as great in the west as the breeze would be off the cold Atlantic so the best temps would be as far NE as you can get from the Atlantic and there would be a risk of murky fog so locally cold

• Advertisement

An example:

A plume of warm air flew up from the south as a belt of rain affected the west on July 22nd and 23rd 2012. However in the east and much of the southern UK, the weather was fine and becoming warmer and warmer. The west struggled with temperatures lower than 18c in a few places. The east got up to 24c on the 23rd whilst England got up to nearly 29c. On the 24th, however, this rain affected us in the east and at my station, it was the wettest day of that god awful month. At the same time shockingly, temperatures were still quite high. I reached a max of 21.1c under heavy rainfall (some parts of Dublin recorded higher - July 2012 wasn't a good month at my station at all). But this is still a remarkable high for rainfall at this level of intensity. In the west, temperatures were still struggling. They went up a bit on the 25th but not much whilst the east made it up to the humid conditions again with more than 22c in a couple of places.

So this is a situation similar to the thing Elmer Blooker is saying and sorry Km-79, it is not looking great at all for you if there is a situation like this.

And the lack of rain situation that you're suffering Arkl0w, I don't know how that is so. My station (with the new LTA averages (as I do them every 10 years - I opened in 1986, I did recently) has officially had its first drier than normal month since last October meaning every month from November 2015 - June 2016 (here at least) has been wetter than normal (yes even March). So it would be good here if we had a couple of dry months. 2016 is nearly already wetter than normal here as a result of that long period of wet months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

So more of the same
    Great :(
    No. Don't give up, as I said a little earlier the models are indicating pressure building from the Azores.
    http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2016073112/ECM1-192.GIF?31-0
    I can remember the Dublin area recording 26c at the end of September 2011 when the rest of the country was under a blanket of cloud, we're fortunate to have the Wickla Mts in the way of the prevailing winds!

No. Don't give up, as I said a little earlier the models are indicating pressure building from the Azores.
    http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2016073112/ECM1-192.GIF?31-0

Oh yessir I like the look of that
    And MTC is hinting about it too

Well I'll be going to Blackpool so a warm spell is very welcome though I'm not a huge fan of warm spells.

sryanbruen wrote: »

And the lack of rain situation that you're suffering Arkl0w, I don't know how that is so. My station (with the new LTA averages (as I do them every 10 years - I opened in 1986, I did recently) has officially had its first drier than normal month since last October meaning every month from November 2015 - June 2016 (here at least) has been wetter than normal (yes even March). So it would be good here if we had a couple of dry months. 2016 is nearly already wetter than normal here as a result of that long period of wet months.
    It's quite common in this pattern actually that rain spreading up from the SW can avoid much of north Wexford and south Wicklow
    Hopefully some tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think the next week will be a shock to many eastern parts of Ireland as a week of cool and frequent showers/downpours is in store, feeling more like mid to late September than early August over the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Timmyboy

Just looking at some forecast charts and it is beginning to look good from Friday (the 5th August 2016) through until the middle of the week after (i.e. to the 9th).
    But it is still too far away to be sure but the signs are promising.

http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/atlantic/#type=prec

Timmyboy wrote: »
    Just looking at some forecast charts and it is beginning to look good from Friday (the 5th August 2016) through until the middle of the week after (i.e. to the 9th).
    But it is still too far away to be sure but the signs are promising.

http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/atlantic/#type=prec

Rainfall is expected next weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Syran what was the bank holiday Monday like last August please? It's needless to say lashing rain here this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭embraer170

Non-stop rain here in mid-Kerry since last night.

Syran what was the bank holiday Monday like last August please? It's needless to say lashing rain here this morning.

It was windy with sunny spells everywhere, particularly in the east but heavy rain later affected the west, this was very heavy in places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

It was windy with sunny spells everywhere, particularly in the east but heavy rain later affected the west, this was very heavy in places.

Thanks a million.

Light rain just starting here
    Hopefully it will get heavier
    Ground needs it

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Cork and Kerry
    25 to 40 mm rain expected in Cork/Kerry.

Issued:Monday 01 August 2016 09:00
    Valid:Monday 01 August 2016 09:00 to Tuesday 02 August 2016 09:00

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    i think at this stage we can officially say that...its been a sh!t summer :(
    No nobody has said it's been a **** summer except you (and KM-79), we all know it's average.

c'mon now look out your window this morning.....its a sh!t summer

yet another one to add to our long list of sh!t summers, this country and its weather :(

• Advertisement

yet another one to add to our long list of sh!t summers, this country and its weather :(

I am and it's pleasant here right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^

liar

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ah here, a bit of cop on would go a long way.

Obviously you cannot expect a summer without a day of this weather! My god one good day doesn't make a summer as many of ye so eagerly point out, so don't let your blinding agenda allow the other extreme of weather to make one bad make a summer.

No matter what, people will always complain. I don't know if its intentional to rise tensions or just simple unhappiness with our climate.

June: Dry and warm but thundery downpours at times.
    July: Dry, sunny and warm. Driest July in 27 years.
    August: Rather wet but sunny and warm again.

Well apart from "sunny", I was mostly correct with my prediction - at my station at least, it certainly was dry and warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

^^^^^^

liar

I agree with sryanbruen, once it's dry in Ireland, I would consider it to be a pleasant day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

LEIN wrote: »
    I agree with sryanbruen, once it's dry in Ireland, I would consider it to be a pleasant day.

A1

Moaners always gonna moan. They are same people that do nothing on pleasant dry days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Woke up just now expecting (and due to alcohol consumption yesterday, kind of hoping for) the promised rainy day - instead it's overcast but actually quite pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

MJohnston wrote: »
    Woke up just now expecting (and due to alcohol consumption yesterday, kind of hoping for) the promised rainy day - instead it's overcast but actually quite pleasant.

Perhaps you would consider reducing your alcohol intake?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's basically zero these days, rarer than an Irish sunny day ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Fryup where do you live? The western side of the country is getting a poor summer. I in Limerick am not getting a great summer generally this summer. Judging by weather reports and posts on this forum I believe that the east coast are enjoying a fairly good summer so far.

Advertisement