Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Fact: The last good August was way back in 2010. Yeah 2013 was alright but it wasn't brilliant like it was quite dull. COME ON, we are overdue one!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

September nearly always ends up warmer, dryer and sunnier than August, usually helped by the almost annual back to school heatwave.

Gonzo wrote: »
    September nearly always ends up warmer, drier and sunnier than August, usually helped by the almost annual back to school heatwave.

Let's see about that actually

August mean temperatures, 1-7 September mean temperatures

2015: 12.1c, 11.8c
    2014: 11.8c, 15.4c
    2013: 15.1c, 15.2c
    2012: 14.4c, 15.6c
    2011: 11.7c, 12.0c
    2010: 12.9c, 13.3c

So yeah apart from 2015, each back to school week has been warmer than August as a whole in the 2010s so far. (Here at Grange at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Looking forward to next week's northerly if it happens. Daytime temps would not be overly affected with a still strong sun,but the night temps would be well below normal under any clear skies. Lovely.

Casement Aerodrome as we see here is the only station that reported above average sunshine during July but still only 104% of the LTA yet still the sunniest since 2013 due to how dull July 2015 was. It was only the second July in its records (since 1962) to report 0 dull days in contrast to how dull it was. Looking at the sunshine graph, sunshine was very low during the month indeed. Rainfall was meh... very variable, quite like August 2002. Temperatures show Dublin Airport reached 20c or more on 19 days and 3 of them with 25c or more. Whilst many other parts of the country did not enjoy the warmth or humid nature that Dublin had during July.

http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-2016-Jul.pdf

Even in the UK as a whole, Summer 2016 has overall been warm, wet and dull so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

In recent years August has been more autumnal than September!
    It was all looking so good a few days ago for a long overdue good August but whatever time of year the Irish climate will always give you a kick in the teeth.
    This chart is absolutely shocking!

ECM0-192.GIF?03-12

Aye but in a winter thread we'd be very doubtful a chart 8+ days hence would happen
    In fact often something completely different turns up as you know

I think the main problem with this Summer which makes it infamous and poor among everybody is the lack of sunshine, both June and July were both duller than normal. There also has been a lot of rain (not here in the east during July) but very unremarkably so, so I don't see it as a problem. Sunshine wise, this is shaping up to be at least in the top 5 dullest summers on record at Grange (using the new averages - if I were using the 1986-2006 averages, this would be a pretty average dull Summer), hell even 2015 was sunnier (July was exceptionally dull though).

Warmth hasn't been the problem as you can see since May in my graph below there have been a large number of days with above average temperatures.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Charts indicating a windy spell next weekend up along the Atlantic Seaboard and especially for the W, NW and N( looks like Sat night in to Sunday morning having the strongest winds ). The Jet playing it's part of course.

gNxd8CK.png?1

KEniAf3.gif?1

AjZC0pZ.png?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I think the main problem with this Summer which makes it infamous and poor among everybody is the lack of sunshine, both June and July were both duller than normal. There also has been a lot of rain (not here in the east during July) but very unremarkably so, so I don't see it as a problem. Sunshine wise, this is shaping up to be at least in the top 5 dullest summers on record at Grange, hell even 2015 was sunnier (July was exceptionally dull though).

Warmth hasn't been the problem as you can see since May in my graph below there have been a large number of days with above average temperatures.

Which is what lots of us have been saying Syran with all due respect. This hasn't been a very bad summer but those calling it a good summer are way wide of the mark. I'm not doubting that certain parts have got good weather but in general most people would be disappointed with the summer weather.

Charts indicating a windy spell next weekend up along the Atlantic Seaboard and especially for the W, NW and N( looks like Sat night in to Sunday morning having the strongest winds ). The Jet playing it's part of course.

gNxd8CK.png?1

KEniAf3.gif?1

AjZC0pZ.png?1

Wow so original... not... just a repeat of today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

should be nice warmth at the weekend tho, 25C possible on Saturday and 21C on Sunday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Gonzo wrote: »
    should be nice warmth at the weekend tho, 25C possible on Saturday and 21C on Sunday.

Where? Donegal, Cork, Wexford, all of the above ?

Where? Donegal, Cork, Wexford, all of the above ?

Anywhere in the south and east but all places getting at least 20c as a possibility.

Which is what lots of us have been saying Syran with all due respect. This hasn't been a very bad summer but those calling it a good summer are way wide of the mark. I'm not doubting that certain parts have got good weather but in general most people would be disappointed with the summer weather.

When was the last "very bad summer" in your opinion i.e. you felt was the last very bad summer by the conditions during it. I think 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

fryup wrote: »
    great new website out called VentuSky packed with info, any of you use it ??

Only since you posted it, thanks for sharing.

Just came across this link just now

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/may-and-august-predicted-to-be-finest-months-of-2016-summer/

They said that May and August were meant to be the best months. I predicted May and July to be the best months but could August redeem itself after this very poor start? Reading this link, they have been very spot on with many of the predictions and I'm surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

When was the last "very bad summer" in your opinion i.e. you felt was the last very bad summer by the conditions during it. I think 2012.

2012 for me Syran.

I've been looking ahead into next week and this is the general setup as it is looking right now:

A low pressure will bring potential heavy rain to the north of the country on Saturday but this low will push across all parts overnight. Even then though, the rain will have been a lot weaker. It will be a warm day everywhere with temperatures widely into the low 20s and a good amount of sunshine.

Sunday is looking quite fresh, breezy and rather cloudy. It will be a very quiet day with just plenty of cloud and a breeze in the air. Temperatures likely in the high teens range.

Monday is looking quite autumnal with very strong winds and a band of heavy rain will push across the country only to be then replaced by heavy showers. Temperatures will be up to 18c at best.

The jet stream for the past week has been in an unusual state with large fluctuations. Sometimes the jet was over the country and north of the country with large fluctuations in temperature also. However, this week coming the jet is looking like it will flow in a position from the North Atlantic down through Scotland towards the east of the UK. After a low will push through on Monday, this low is likely to centre across the east of the UK and will bring in a northerly airstream.

This airstream will bring unseasonably cool conditions and could be even colder than the coldest conditions we suffered last Summer. With this airstream also, showers will be frequent in most areas but much more so in the UK. Here in Ireland, an area of high pressure is likely to build as the week goes on but don't expect any warmth sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

2012 for me Syran.

Yeah, for the months of June, July and August of 2012, my rainfall total was 408.8mm. That was 43% of that years rainfall.
    So far for the same period this year: 114.6mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

2012 for me Syran.

Have to agree, even though I do like winter weather, Summer 2012 had me on the verge of tears.

I remember every day waiting for that hot day to come, but it never did. Eventually I settled for a sun holiday and a partly sunny 23c day in August.

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Have to agree, even though I do like winter weather, Summer 2012 had me on the verge of tears.

I remember every day waiting for that hot day to come, but it never did. Eventually I settled for a sun holiday and a partly sunny 23c day in August.

Yeah I did a Summer camp from 7-10 August 2012 and it was the one week it was sunny and warm, so I was lucky. Grange managed a max of 26.2c on August 10th.

Compare the rainfall totals

Summer 2016 (up to August 3rd): 114.1mm
    Summer 2012: 363.2mm

Summer 2012 will always be the most depressing Summer ever for me, not because of the weather but also life events.

Next time there's a good March like 2012 standard, don't get excited that it will be a good Summer :rolleyes:.

Anyway back to Autumn 2016... oh wait it's Summer still, I could have never imagined due to these windy conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I've been looking ahead into next week and this is the general setup as it is looking right now:

A low pressure will bring potential heavy rain to the north of the country on Saturday but this low will push across all parts overnight. Even then though, the rain will have been a lot weaker. It will be a warm day everywhere with temperatures widely into the low 20s and a good amount of sunshine.

Sunday is looking quite fresh, breezy and rather cloudy. It will be a very quiet day with just plenty of cloud and a breeze in the air. Temperatures likely in the high teens range.

Monday is looking quite autumnal with very strong winds and a band of heavy rain will push across the country only to be then replaced by heavy showers. Temperatures will be up to 18c at best.

The jet stream for the past week has been in an unusual state with large fluctuations. Sometimes the jet was over the country and north of the country with large fluctuations in temperature also. However, this week coming the jet is looking like it will flow in a position from the North Atlantic down through Scotland towards the east of the UK. After a low will push through on Monday, this low is likely to centre across the east of the UK and will bring in a northerly airstream.

This airstream will bring unseasonably cool conditions and could be even colder than the coldest conditions we suffered last Summer. With this airstream also, showers will be frequent in most areas but much more so in the UK. Here in Ireland, an area of high pressure is likely to build as the week goes on but don't expect any warmth sorry.

lol

what happened to Met Eireann's 25 degrees on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

lawred2 wrote: »
    lol

what happened to Met Eireann's 25 degrees on Saturday?

Nothing

From Met Eireann posted at 11:12, 40 minutes ago

"On Saturday a strengthening southerly wind will bring very warm and humid weather over the country; it will be a mainly dry day also, with spells of sunshine, though south and southwest coasts may become dull. Temperatures will rise to values between 19 and 25 degrees. However, Saturday night will see a band of rain crossing the country from the west, with southerly winds veering westerly by Sunday morning. "

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Nothing

From Met Eireann posted at 11:12, 40 minutes ago

"On Saturday a strengthening southerly wind will bring very warm and humid weather over the country; it will be a mainly dry day also, with spells of sunshine, though south and southwest coasts may become dull. Temperatures will rise to values between 19 and 25 degrees. However, Saturday night will see a band of rain crossing the country from the west, with southerly winds veering westerly by Sunday morning. "

well hope they are right

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I think the daytime will be reasonably warm in western which will get the best of the weather next week.
    Not much wrong with this chart if you live in the west, 20-22c wouldn't be out of the question in long sunny spells.
    I seem to remember a similar set up earlier in the summer when Ireland basked in glorious sunshine while eastern England in particular was under a grey blanket of cloud with daytime temps around 13c :)

ECM1-168.GIF?04-12

I think the daytime will be reasonably warm in western which will get the best of the weather next week.
    Not much wrong with this chart if you live in the west, 20-22c wouldn't be out of the question in long sunny spells.
    I seem to remember a similar set up earlier in the summer when Ireland basked in glorious sunshine while eastern England in particular was under a grey blanket of cloud with daytime temps around 13c :)

ECM1-168.GIF?04-12

That setup didn't have a northerly airstream though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I'm amazed how many days I have had temps above 20c even when we are under the influence of bog standard westerly or north westerly airflows,
    The theme continues. I'm not sure how I've recorded 21.2c this afternoon with an awful looking chart like this. :confused:

ISO_TODAY_ATL.png?1527

it is surprising feeling very warm today despite most areas not seeing more than 18 or 19C, easily feels 21C outside.

• Advertisement

The theme continues. I'm not sure how I've recorded 21.2c this afternoon with an awful looking chart like this. :confused:

ISO_TODAY_ATL.png?1527

Yep a max of 21.1c here. What is going on?

Advertisement