Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

last night was exceptionally windy here, our garden furniture and table umbrella was blown over in the wind and bits of branches/leaves all over the road.

After todays mild conditions the next few days look quite cool, but there seems to be what could be at least a week of temps in the low to mid 20s starting from next Thursday all the way to Friday 19th August. One to watch for, hopefully it will work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

From reading this thread Sligo has to have the worst weather in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Only 15.2C in Castlebar, gusts have been getting upwards of 50km/hr for most of the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Peak so far In Arklow 21.7c
    Cloudier now and down to 20.4
    Pleasant,breezy but not windy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Huge contrast between north and south when you look at the visible cloud satellite on met.ie.

Beautiful and sunny in the south half of the country but rain showing on the radar in the west.

The south has probably had the worst of the weather this year so a good day is long overdue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Fortunately been a great day so far here in kerry. Good spells of sunshine and windy, getting up to 19.2C and slipping now a bit to 18.1C under increasing cloud cover.

Cold front showing up well on the Sat pic. Rain amounts set to be small. Forecast to feel much fresher as it passes and the wind goes more W followed by NW later.

DvS4i6K.jpg

22.4c now

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

have to put the lights on its so dark now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

some nice sunny spells here but that wind is really taking the edge off what should have been a warm day.

It has really turned into a horrible day in Castlebar, dark, wet and very gusty, it feels a lot colder than the 15.5C its registering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Xenji wrote: »
    It has really turned into a horrible day in Castlebar, dark, wet and very gusty, it feels a lot colder than the 15.5C its registering.

Apparently it's been a good summer Xenji.......

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

DISGUSTING day in galway
    at least it was lovely when I was in Dublin yday

got up to 19C here earlier, was expecting about 21C. Parts of Carlow and Wicklow still at 22C as it is much sunnier there.

Temps will struggle at around 18C till Thursday but it's gonna remain largely dry in the east and then the heat will build from next Thursday onwards. Parts of the east may not see any worthwhile rain for another 2 weeks. Everywhere should be enjoying dry and hopefully warm conditions from next Friday.

edit: back to 20C here now and up to 23C in Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Oh, so I suppose a good summer does not have any bad days?

Lads come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭OldRio

Just back from Strandhill in Sligo. Cold windy and wet. Whilst driving back you could see and smell turf burning in peoples houses. To be honest I think the fire will be lit in this house tonight.

Summer? August? Me arse.

I reckon here at least its so far been the best summer since 2013. While this summer has quite a way to go to be as good as 2013, we could be in with another shot of proper warmth over the next few weeks. Since the end of May we've had alot of sun, dryness and much of time 20C+ and rarely below 17C. Compare that to many of the washout summers we had between 2007 and 2012, those summers were truly dire.

The second half of June and beginning of July was crap here but everything else has been fairly good so im not gonna complain. Ive spent most of the summer in a tshirt, some summers I end up wearing winter clothes from one end of the summer to the other.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Oh, so I suppose a good summer does not have any bad days?

Lads come on.

In fairness it has not been a good summer in Mayo and many other parts of the country as a fair few other posters have pointed out, the problem is that the bad days have fair outweighed the the good days.

Besides the lovely stretch we got in the second half of May, the last 9 weeks have been mainly dull and wet, with over 250mm of rain and sunshine LTA's struggling to get over 60%.

In my area yes it has been a bad summer, but of course that does not mean that is the case for everyone, and we have seen other areas having a lovely summer.

Clare hasn't had a great summer, but its had a fairly good summer compared to some others. I think its just the common Irish pessimism that skews the views.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Looking now, Summer 2015 and 2016 are very similar here, they both just had one different thing.

Summer 2015 was cold, Summer 2016 is warm.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Clare hasn't had a great summer, but its had a fairly good summer compared to some others. I think its just the common Irish pessimism that skews the views.

Realism I'd call it.

• Advertisement

Realism I'd call it.

So was today horrible in clonmel? Wall to wall sunshine when I passed through earlier. Selectiveness I'd call it.

Lovely day here v windy now and far better than yesterday's pathetic effort. Doesent make up for the dull gloomy July we had though. One swallow and all that.

I'm not complaining about the dull July because July 2015 was 40 hours duller here.

July 2015: 110 hours, second dullest July in my records
    July 2016: 150 hours, second sunniest of my dull Julys

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I'm not complaining about the dull July because July 2015 was 40 hours duller here.

July 2015: 110 hours, second dullest July in my records
    July 2016: 150 hours, second sunniest of my dull Julys

I think Knock Airport only got around 78 hours, making it the dullest July in 5 years.

Xenji wrote: »
    I think Knock Airport only got around 78 hours, making it the dullest July in 5 years.

Yeah but I'm talking 'bout my station specifically without thinking of other stations.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yeah but I'm talking 'bout my station specifically without thinking of other stations.

Just an interesting comparison between east and west areas for July.

Jaysus,here near Arklow 2015 as ye know was very sunny and this summer even more so
    Here's my current view as I get in the cows down here for milking
    Just gorgeous and last I looked just shy of 24c
    It's amazing how a SW or West works so well down here in the SE and what a difference it travelling over a few hundred miles of land makes

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Jaysus,here near Arklow 2015 as ye know was very sunny and this summer even more so
    Here's my current view as I get in the cows down here for milking
    Just gorgeous and last I looked just shy of 24c
    It's amazing how a SW or West works so well down here in the SE and what a difference it travelling over a few hundred miles of land makes

It is nothing like that here, it is overcast.

Summer 2015 had two sunnier than normal months here, June and August BUT the dull nature of July managed to make my Summer total below normal overall with 98% of the LTA sunshine.

This Summer has had two duller than normal months, June and July. August should be sunnier than normal or it'll be my first Summer since 2008 with all months dull.

It's like October here now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It is a shame that the met.ie app is so limited.

No rainfall statistics for various months.

Am I right in thinking this has been one of the drier summers despite being very dull in places.

Advertisement