Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It is a shame that the met.ie app is so limited.

No rainfall statistics for various months.

Am I right in thinking this has been one of the drier summers despite being very dull in places.

It has been one of the drier summers but certainly not one of the driest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It is a shame that the met.ie app is so limited.

No rainfall statistics for various months.

Am I right in thinking this has been one of the drier summers despite being very dull in places.

It depends on the area, Mayo, Sligo and Donegal have got similar rainfall rates as last year in June and July, ranging from around 180mm up to 230mm combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Jaysus,here near Arklow 2015 as ye know was very sunny and this summer even more so
    Here's my current view as I get in the cows down here for milking
    Just gorgeous and last I looked just shy of 24c
    It's amazing how a SW or West works so well down here in the SE and what a difference it travelling over a few hundred miles of land makes

I can confirm that it has been a lovely, warm and sunny day here in Arklow albeit windy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

drizzle here now, still fairly mild tho.

the band of rain moving across the country is breaking up as it hits the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Clearer, drier weather has pushed into west mayo now, still very gusty though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

One crosses ones finger...actually I ran the chart forward,and the slime green colours return pretty quickly,right,I've had enough of this muck for one summer,I'm going to gets me some of that sun...

ukmaxtemp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Clearer, drier weather has pushed into west mayo now, still very gusty though.

Yes,it's akin to something in late September/early October.
    A truely woeful day for late summer.
    Leaves blowing off the trees,flowers all mangled in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Lovely day here, had a BBQ earlier, sun cream needed, reached 24C. Clouded over now though with intermittant light drizzle.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Warm rain
    20c

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Wet in sligo 15c

Clearing now just gales 6.4mm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

much cooler here now, down 5C in just 2 hours, now 15C and drizzly muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Heavy shower passed through and cleared to Sun!

Gonzo wrote: »
    much cooler here now, down 5C in just 2 hours, now 15C and drizzly muck.

Rain here lasted 10 or 15 mins,didn't wet the ground,there's blue sky again and it's 19.5c still!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Have to agree with some posters this is shaping up as a decent summer here in the east (North County Dublin). Have worn my shorts more than many summers I remember!

I cam back from abroad in 2007 having missed the nice summer of 2006 and faced into those awful summers of 2007-12! (Although I think 2011 was settled enough just quite cool. There was some nice Spring and Autumn weather in those years tho.

Don't think this is quite up to 2013 or 2014 yet but a good run in August it will be right up there...I think both those years the summer ran out of steam a bit in August?

2015 I always recall as being OK but very windy...huge divide between east and west ...a bit like this year again by the looks of things.

Anyway if the promising charts come good for rest of August I will be very pleased with Summer 2016...especially in a weeks time as I am visiting the southwest for the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Forecast earlier looks like dry enough for the east...was nearly hoping for the bit of rain this evening but died out before it got here. Gonna have to do a lot of watering the garden this week by the looks of it.

Scotland has seen its second windiest Summer day on record with only 25 July 1988 windier.

9pm Met reports, Malin head gusting 47 knots

it tried to rain here earlier but never amounted to more than annoying drizzle which barely wet the ground, the main thing about today was the wind more than anything else.

2012 was the last really bad summer we had here. 2013 was amazing but by August it was back to being muck. 2014 was similar to this summer maybe not quite as dry and 2015 was a mixture of warm sun and some cooler conditions in July with a few nasty downpours. 2016 could well end the best summer since 2013 if the warm spell plays ball from next weekend.

A 115 mph gust recorded over Cairngorm summit. Setting a new August record

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Getting some decent gusts here in South Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

syklops wrote: »
    Getting some decent gusts here in South Dublin.

Yeah wind has been missing a lot of this Summer. Today was wel gusty or yesterday now n today too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

pauldry wrote: »
    Yeah wind has been missing a lot of this Summer. Today was wel gusty or yesterday now n today too

We are getting now what you got for much of the day in the west.

Gorgeous morning again but brrrrrrr it's just 13.3c

feeling like Autumn today, only 16C, haven't seen temps struggle this low since the first week of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭pcasso

There seems to be some confidence and agreement that the UK is heading for a sustained hot spell from this weekend onward, particular in the south of England where mid thirties temperatures are being mentioned.
    Would anyone with the ability to read the charts/models care to speculate how well we in Ireland might fare?
    Ta. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

pcasso wrote: »
    There seems to be some confidence and agreement that the UK is heading for a sustained hot spell from this weekend onward, particular in the south of England where mid thirties temperatures are being mentioned.
    Would anyone with the ability to read the charts/models care to speculate how well we in Ireland might fare?

Unfortunately at the moment we are on the edge of the plume , So its not likely we will hit the 30's but the East and South East should hit the low to mid twenties.

pcasso wrote: »

usually in times like this whatever London and the south-east gets, shave about 10C off that for Ireland and you can't go too far wrong.

Judging from the charts much of southern England will get the full effect of a possible heat wave while Ireland will be on the very edge of it. Looks like staying mostly warm till at least the 23rd of August but maybe a slight interruption with cooler more unsettled weather into the west of Ireland between August 19th and August 21st. At a guess we could see temps as high as 23 or 24C. The further east the better.

Here in Blackpool it has been a mixed day with some very warm moments but also some very cool moments like now with a fair breeze blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Only 11C here this morning.

• Advertisement

I wonder how's it doing at Grange whilst I'm here in Blackpool, probably dry and overcast as it has been since forever.

Advertisement