Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

RobertKK wrote: »
    Today reminds me why I like warm weather.

High so far today of 12.9C.
    Currently 12.7C.

This to me is an exceptionally cold day.

Am actually considering lighting the fire. Freezing here in kk

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Lovely afternoon in east Galway
    Sun even popped out for a hour but cloudy again
    For the first time since end of June the grass is dry enough to mulch

• Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Am actually considering lighting the fire. Freezing here in kk

Felt it last night at approx 9.05pm. Got the jumper out. That very minute marked the end of summer :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Don't give up yet...are we not on for some nice weather from the weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

RobertKK wrote: »
    Today reminds me why I like warm weather.

High so far today of 12.9C.
    Currently 12.7C.

This to me is an exceptionally cold day.

Our heating kicked in yesterday evening, and I wasn't in a rush to turn the thermostat down. Out walking the dogs in a fleece and jeans and could really do with a coat

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Our heating kicked in yesterday evening, and I wasn't in a rush to turn the thermostat down. Out walking the dogs in a fleece and jeans and could really do with a coat

freezing here all day, hovering around 12/13C for most of the day, damp and miserable. Have winter clothes on and wore a coat and scarf earlier. We had warmer days and nights than this last December and January!. Big improvement from tomorrow in terms of temps at 19C and back to the 20's from Friday onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Not a drop of rain today down here ,even a bit of sun at times!
    Cool though with a peak of just 16.6c

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

A max of only 14c here at Blackpool today with very wet conditions, very miserable day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Surprised to see such low temperatures in other parts of the country. Even though breezy still got up to 18.3C here near Tralee and currently a cooler feeling 15.7C, the nights have been very cool this week with extra blankets going on the beds.

The South looks to get the best of the weather tomorrow. Next week looks like being ok temperature wise Sun, Mon and Tues but thereafter a quick change to NW'lys again being steered by a low pressure system between Greenland and Iceland and a Scandi High pressure effectively funneling in cold polar air over Ireland, potentially very cool around Fri 19, Sat 20

GK3drmY.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It got up to 17.2C in Castlebar today, but it felt a lot colder in a cutting breeze.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A cool windy day in store on Fri especially along the Atlantic Seaboard. Wet but not too much from a Cold front up along the W and NW, amounts small elsewhere I think.

8gKSuxY.gif?1

SAbdMoN.gif?1

F7ozF7C.gif?1

Edit: after a second look at the charts , Temps looking quite good on the main for Fri , cooler in the W/ NW .

Surprised to see such low temperatures in other parts of the country. Even though breezy still got up to 18.3C here near Tralee and currently a cooler feeling 15.7C, the nights have been very cool this week with extra blankets going on the beds.

The South looks to get the best of the weather tomorrow. Next week looks like being ok temperature wise Sun, Mon and Tues but thereafter a quick change to NW'lys again being steered by a low pressure system between Greenland and Iceland and a Scandi High pressure effectively funneling in cold polar air over Ireland, potentially very cool around Fri 19, Sat 20

GK3drmY.png?1

So a 3rd colder than normal August in a row?

We are overdue a warm one next year if that's the case, oh wait, not just warm, August 1995 standard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

It hasn't been a good summer and I'm sticking to that. Some will accuse me of being pessimistic but I'm being realistic. It was 11 degrees and dark at 8am and tonight is cool overcast and breezy.

It hasn't been a good summer and I'm sticking to that. Some will accuse me of being pessimistic but I'm being realistic. It was 11 degrees and dark at 8am and tonight is cool overcast and breezy.

Ah come on now, you're even the one who admitted it has been average. Every month has its awful day, May 26th I recorded a max of only 12.9c and June 16th with only 13.1c.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Next few days weather for Sligo

Thursday misty windy some sun 18c
    Friday Misty then dry then wet 16c
    Saturday Misty morning then dry 19c
    Sunday Dry and fair 21c
    Monday Dry and Fair 22c
    Tuesday Dry then rain 22c
    Wed to Fri Prevailing summer NW wind returns with mist drizzle and 14c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Ah come on now, you're even the one who admitted it has been average. Every month has its awful day, May 26th I recorded a max of only 12.9c and June 16th with only 13.1c.

It's been average Syran not good that's exactly my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

8.08am in county Meath and its cloudy, breezy, dry and its Bright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

First morning ive got out of bed and felt the chill in the air hope it warms up again soon

It's been average Syran not good that's exactly my point.

Average is not bad. Like I was being over reactive when I said that 2015 was a bad Summer, it was average besides the cold nature of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I'm not really great at deciphering cloud cover maps, or maybe I just haven't found a good one. What's the closest place to Dublin that had clear skies tonight at 12 - 2am for the meteor shower? Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

I'm not really great at deciphering cloud cover maps, or maybe I just haven't found a good one. What's the closest place to Dublin that had clear skies tonight at 12 - 2am for the meteor shower? Cheers

The farther south, the better.

Cold grey drizzly east Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its a sh!t summer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Cold, dark and wet day in Castlebar, you would swear it's evening time outside, 6.5mm of rain so far.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the thing is an average summer in Ireland doesn't really mean good weather. It's normal for Ireland to experience wind, drizzle, mist, lots of cloud and mid to high teen temps throughout summer. We have the most unfortunate position for lovers of warm, sunny summers and cold, snowy winters. Ive seen many summers with lengthy periods of that while Europe and much of the south-eastern half of the UK is under a heatwave.

The summers of 2007-2012, now those were bad summers where it was either much cooler than usual or it just rained much of the time with widespread flooding at times.

Even in Ireland the difference between conditions along the west coast and along the east coast during the summer months can be huge and there doesn't have to be a heatwave around for that to happen. However in the rare occasions we do get heat building in from the UK and Europe, the west can often do better due to no on-shore breezes and much higher temps than the east.

km79 wrote: »
    Lovely afternoon in east Galway
    Sun even popped out for a hour but cloudy again
    For the first time since end of June the grass is dry enough to mulch

Followed by an INCREDIBLY frustrating hiyr this morning to try and finish it
    Forecasts not worth a ****e anymore
    Back to back dry days a distant distant memory

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭hiujn

It's enough to depress ya. wet drizzly and no warmth at all. I had to light the bleedin fire yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

weather.gif

Gonzo wrote: »
    the thing is an average summer in Ireland doesn't really mean good weather. It's normal for Ireland to experience wind, drizzle, mist, lots of cloud and mid to high teen temps throughout summer. We have the most unfortunate position for lovers of warm, sunny summers and cold, snowy winters. Ive seen many summers with lengthy periods of that while Europe and much of the south-eastern half of the UK is under a heatwave.

The summers of 2007-2012, now those were bad summers where it was either much cooler than usual or it just rained much of the time with widespread flooding at times.

Even in Ireland the difference between conditions along the west coast and along the east coast during the summer months can be huge and there doesn't have to be a heatwave around for that to happen. However in the rare occasions we do get heat building in from the UK and Europe, the west can often do better due to no on-shore breezes and much higher temps than the east.

It also frustrates me how people say that the period of the summers 2007-2012 was the worst period for summers on record, it most certainly wasn't. 1985-1988 was without a doubt that I know of (there probably was a worse one I don't know about). Again I repeat myself for like the thousandth time (not really but quite a lot of times), 2007-2012 had a good Summer, 2010 and a very mediocre one, 2011 whilst the rest were pretty much bad. There was no good Summer during the period 1985-1988, they all had their very awful moments

1985 - July thunderstorm (some might consider this awesome but I don't), god awful, cool, very dull and wet August. Wettest Summer at Malin Head on record that I know of.

1986 - Dullest July on record, coldest August on record, wettest August on record in places (beaten in most places in 2008 though), August 5th extremely wet day, Hurricane Charley.

1987 - Dullest June on record which was also very wet and cool. Other than that month, it wasn't very remarkable but each month was quite dull and became the dullest Summer on record in many places.

1988 - June may have been a fine start with warm, dry and sunny conditions but July was very unseasonably windy, wet and cold. Windiest Summer day on record and quite a miserable, unremarkable August.

Only good month was June 1988.

2007-2012 had: June 2009, June 2010, August 2010, June 2011 (despite the cool nature and many wet days, it was very sunny) and August 2012 (pretty mixed month just like June 2009).

• Advertisement

A very miserable start to the day at Blackpool with more wet and cool conditions. It is not set to stay though unlike yesterday with a window of dry air coming.

Advertisement