Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Looking at the met.ie visible satellite it looks like the south of the country is getting a very overdue good sunny day while the rest of the country is covered in a blanket of cloud.

We are now into the 11th day of the month and if any decent weather comes it is unlikely to be beach weather.

Any indication on the charts of decent weather to come?

Looking at those recent charts it appears a cold system could be dragged down over us with high pressure in southern Europe and Scandinavia pushing the cold air down towards the Uk/Ire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

sryanbruen wrote: »
    It also frustrates me how people say that the period of the summers 2007-2012 was the worst period for summers on record, it most certainly wasn't. 1985-1988 was without a doubt that I know of (there probably was a worse one I don't know about). Again I repeat myself for like the thousandth time (not really but quite a lot of times), 2007-2012 had a good Summer, 2010 and a very mediocre one, 2011 whilst the rest were pretty much bad. There was no good Summer during the period 1985-1988, they all had their very awful moments

1985 - July thunderstorm (some might consider this awesome but I don't), god awful, cool, very dull and wet August. Wettest Summer at Malin Head on record that I know of.

1986 - Dullest July on record, coldest August on record, wettest August on record in places (beaten in most places in 2008 though), August 5th extremely wet day, Hurricane Charley.

1987 - Dullest June on record which was also very wet and cool. Other than that month, it wasn't very remarkable but each month was quite dull and became the dullest Summer on record in many places.

1988 - June may have been a fine start with warm, dry and sunny conditions but July was very unseasonably windy, wet and cold. Windiest Summer day on record and quite a miserable, unremarkable August.

Only good month was June 1988.

2007-2012 had: June 2009, June 2010, August 2010, June 2011 (despite the cool nature and many wet days, it was very sunny) and August 2012 (pretty mixed month just like June 2009).

Excellent and interesting summation Syran. What about the period 1991-1994 summer wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Saturday to Tuesday look very nice and very warm come Monday no? After that looks like the Atlantic powers back through..enjoy it while its around.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Saturday to Tuesday look very nice and very warm come Monday no? After that looks like the Atlantic powers back through..enjoy it while its around.

yep nice from tomorrow to about tuesday then a very sudden transition to cool, wet, atlantic muck for at least 3 to 4 days. Theres a chance of another warm spell from the Sunday 21st onwards.

Is there any good app that shows 14 day predicted rainfall/pressure charts and have a run facility to view it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It also frustrates me how people say that the period of the summers 2007-2012 was the worst period for summers on record, it most certainly wasn't. 1985-1988 was without a doubt that I know of (there probably was a worse one I don't know about). Again I repeat myself for like the thousandth time (not really but quite a lot of times), 2007-2012 had a good Summer, 2010 and a very mediocre one, 2011 whilst the rest were pretty much bad. There was no good Summer during the period 1985-1988, they all had their very awful moments

1985 - July thunderstorm (some might consider this awesome but I don't), god awful, cool, very dull and wet August. Wettest Summer at Malin Head on record that I know of.

1986 - Dullest July on record, coldest August on record, wettest August on record in places (beaten in most places in 2008 though), August 5th extremely wet day, Hurricane Charley.

1987 - Dullest June on record which was also very wet and cool. Other than that month, it wasn't very remarkable but each month was quite dull and became the dullest Summer on record in many places.

1988 - June may have been a fine start with warm, dry and sunny conditions but July was very unseasonably windy, wet and cold. Windiest Summer day on record and quite a miserable, unremarkable August.

Only good month was June 1988.

2007-2012 had: June 2009, June 2010, August 2010, June 2011 (despite the cool nature and many wet days, it was very sunny) and August 2012 (pretty mixed month just like June 2009).

I only used 2007-2012 as in example of the most recent memories of poor summers. I seem to remember most of those years lighting fires and looking out at the rain and when it was dry it was cool. Luckily I managed to escape to Spain for a few weeks each of those summers.

The summers of 1985 - 1988 I barely remember other than the huge thunderstorm of 1985. Back then as a kid I used to spend a month of every summer in Fuengirola so I really don't remember those washout summers.

The summers of 2001/2002 (or was it 2002/2003) were dreadful. One of those summers was horribly bad and rained a huge amount. Every morning you would get up to a flood of water.

85/86 were bleak years. Farmers often view bad summers as the ones the silage wasn't harvested or the turf rotted in the bog.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Excellent and interesting summation Syran. What about the period 1991-1994 summer wise?

Well this wasn't as bad as 1985-1988 but still not brilliant nonetheless.

1991 - Coldest June on record with a warm, dull July and very dry, warm but dull August. Pretty unremarkable Summer. Mad thing is that the warmest temperatures of 1991 were towards the end of August and beginning of September. Valentia Observatory recorded 28c on September 5th.

1992 - June had a very wet start and end with a drought mid-month, largely warm and rather dull. July had very mixed blustery conditions with rather warm, wet and dull conditions. August was mostly sunny, cool and very wet. Another very unremarkable Summer.

1993 - June was largely dry BUT Dublin had its wettest day on record on the 11th with over 100mm of rainfall and this made the month wet here, cool and very dull. July was cool, dry and dull generally. August was very sunny (first sunnier than normal month in 1993 for the east), dry and cold. It was one of the colder summers but generally unremarkable despite Dublin's wettest day on record.

1994 - June was very dull, cool and wet. It was one of the dullest Junes but not as dull as 1987. July was very warm in many parts of Europe including the UK with sunny and dry conditions but Ireland did not get to enjoy the conditions as it was rather average temperatures, blustery and dull. August was much like June with dull, cool and wet conditions. Again pretty unremarkable.

The only good month from this period was August 1991 really whilst most months were unremarkable.

The summers of 2001/2002 (or was it 2002/2003) were dreadful. One of those summers was horribly bad and rained a huge amount. Every morning you would get up to a flood of water.

85/86 were bleak years. Farmers often view bad summers as the ones the silage wasn't harvested or the turf rotted in the bog.

2001 was unremarkable:

June - Fairly cool, dry and mostly dull.
    July - Fairly warm but very variable as well as variable rainfall and generally sunny. Southern parts had a very wet July whilst the north enjoyed dry conditions.
    August - Mostly wet, warm and sunny.

2002 was my second least favourite Summer ever because:

June - Very wet, dull and cool. Wettest June on record in northwestern parts (some had it beaten in 2012 - 10 years later).
    July - Very dull, cool and wet. It was the dullest July on record in a few places but 1986 was mostly duller.
    August - Warm, dry and very dull. August 2002 was practically the July 2016 of this Summer as most days were wet but amounts were small.

2003 was warm, dry and sunny in many places:

June - Quite wet, especially in the south, sunny and warm.
    July - Very dull, warm and very variable rainfall.
    August - Very warm, dry and sunny.

I remember stories of farmers taking their lives due to the bad weather and some farmers sold out their cows. As bad as this summer is turning out it doesn't compare to how bleak some of those summers were.

This summer has just been really dull.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

21.5c in Arklow now,after being dull earlier it's absolutely beautiful now

I'm giving this summer an 8 out of 10 for this area

My opinions of each Summer (based on experience if I got to experience it or resources if I wasn't alive to experience it - I can imagine myself in them Summers):

2016 - 6/10
    2015 - 5/10
    2014 - 8/10
    2013 - 8/10
    2012 - 2/10
    2011 - 6/10
    2010 - 8/10
    2009 - 5/10
    2008 - 3/10
    2007 - 3/10
    2006 - 9/10
    2005 - 5/10
    2004 - 5/10
    2003 - 6/10
    2002 - 2/10
    2001 - 6/10
    2000 - 7/10
    1999 - 6/10
    1998 - 3/10
    1997 - 3/10
    1996 - 7/10
    1995 - 9/10
    1994 - 3/10
    1993 - 3/10
    1992 - 5/10
    1991 - 5/10
    1990 - 7/10
    1989 - 8/10
    1988 - 4/10
    1987 - 3/10
    1986 - 2/10
    1985 - 2/10
    1984 - 7/10
    1983 - 8/10
    1982 - 6/10
    1981 - 4/10
    1980 - 3/10
    1979 - 4/10
    1978 - 4/10
    1977 - 5/10
    1976 - 10/10
    1975 - 8/10

I just came across this link on Ireland's good summers and what makes them.

http://www.predictweather.co.nz/ArticleShow.aspx?ID=523&type=home

still cloudy all day here, temps have peaked at 17C, at least it feels almost warm in comparison to yesterday.

So far I Would give this summer a 6.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Drizzle /light rain ALL DAY here
    All day
    So depressing
    Had been really looking forward to a few days work outside
    Can plan nothing any more .
    Tomorrow promised wet so have nothing lined up
    Will no doubt be a lovely day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Its raining here all day in Donegal, cant even go outside. The forecasts undercooked this.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Overcast and Cloudy all day in Ennis today

I was really looking forward to the Perseids outburst tonight but that's looking more and more unlikely as the day goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Lovely day here, currently 22C, summers back after a couple of days away, feels very warm outside.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Not bad here in Tralee. Plenty of cloud but sun poking through now and again, clearer still this evening, thanks for the reminder about the Perseids Akrasia, will have a look later, hopefully there might be a clear patch.

Got up to 18C here near Tralee, remained dry.

The South got the best of it today...

RsDFArL.jpg

x9GBpQx.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cloudy with drizzle in Castlebar for the most part of the day, beginning to clear off now with some late sunshine. 16 degrees, moderate westerly wind. 1022-steady.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Nice day in wexford ,warm too.

and for those who will be lucky enough to have clear skies tonight The Perseid meteor shower will reach its peak over the next 24 hours, so keep an eye out after 11pm. will be quite a good show(under clear skies)

really nice day here after 2 very disappointing days. 20C and plenty of sunshine despite the wind.

Ditto in Arklow,just gorgeous and now 22.7c
    That's why I'm giving this summer an 8(here) for the sheer amount of days comfortably above 20 and the amount of sun

from met .ie
    Advance Notice - Server Maintenance - Monday 15th August

On Monday 15th August from 1000hrs to approximately 1030hrs the Met Éireann website, mobile apps and data feeds will be offline. This is to allow for a hardware upgrade at the data centre. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Ditto in Arklow,just gorgeous and now 22.7c
    That's why I'm giving this summer an 8(here) for the sheer amount of days comfortably above 20 and the amount of sun

Why amount of sun though? This Summer has been lacking sunshine.

First nice day in Blackpool since Monday. A good amount of sunshine with variable amounts of cloud and a max of 20c.

Why amount of sun though? This Summer has been lacking sunshine.

Not down here it hasn't!
    Suns out most days at some point,often all day
    That's what happens when you've high ground to the north,northwest,west and southwest in prevailing atlantean winds
    Dublin topography is completely different

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Not down here it hasn't!
    Suns out most days at some point,often all day
    That's what happens when you've high ground to the north,northwest,west and southwest in prevailing atlantean winds
    Dublin topography is completely different

This Summer up to the 31st July was the 8th dullest in my records.

• Advertisement

This Summer up to the 31st July was the 8th dullest in my records.

Yeah but on this forum last year both I and calibos would have had a lot more sunny days than you also

It hasn't always been thus, the two wet summers of 09 and 12 for example had a trend of Atlantic rain coming at this Island from a different angle to the last three years
    Into Munster and then the worst of it a slow grind up through Leinster,heavily on the east coast
    We are now into our this summer of a perfect storm of exceptionally dry weather on the Coastal fringe of the east from Atlantean westerlies (SW/W/NW)
    The lee side of the hills adding extra sunny breaks along with sea breezes on some occasions diverting land cloud back away inland
    Last of the blue is departing to my east as I type with the approaching front

Advertisement