Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Yeah but on this forum last year both I and calibos would have had a lot more sunny days than you also

It hasn't always been thus, the two wet summers of 09 and 12 for example had a trend of Atlantic rain coming at this Island from a different angle to the last three years
    Into Munster and then the worst of it a slow grind up through Leinster,heavily on the east coast
    We are now into our this summer of a perfect storm of exceptionally dry weather on the Coastal fringe of the east from Atlantean westerlies (SW/W/NW)
    The lee side of the hills adding extra sunny breaks along with sea breezes on some occasions diverting land cloud back away inland
    Last of the blue is departing to my east as I type with the approaching front

'Eh em.... you were on this forum in Summer 2015? You joined in July 2016..... :confused:

And that makes no sense also, I'm one of the sunniest places. In January, I had a lot more sunshine than all stations (January 3rd for instance was lashing across virtually all of Ireland but I recorded blue skies......) as well as in July 2014 - I had around 240 hours of sunshine. The highest at Dublin Airport was around only 181 hours of sunshine or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

sryanbruen wrote: »
    'Eh em.... you were on this forum in Summer 2015? You joined in July 2016..... :confused:

And that makes no sense also, I'm one of the sunniest places. In January, I had a lot more sunshine than all stations as well as in July 2014 - I had around 240 hours of sunshine. The highest at Dublin Airport was around only 181 hours of sunshine or something.

In all fairness now Im sure you have had sunnier days than others and vice versa but you can't use your location as determining what goes on elsewhere
    There also are far too few official weather stations and they're far too scattered to declare anyone the sunniest either
    You can only compare and there certainly is a climate difference between my location and yours
    We're warmer and sunnier in a summer northwesterly for example than Dublin for obvious reasons and a lot colder in a southerly sunny day than Dublin as due south is the sea compared to Dublins Fohn off the mtns
    But the win at my location is certainly in summer anything that's not east (unless it's a Welsh import storm) south or due north

All-time Summer records at Grange

Wettest month: August 2008 with 186.3mm
    Driest month: July 2006 with 0.6mm
    Highest daily fall: 85.1mm on June 11, 1993

Maximum temperature: 30.4c on July 19, 2006
    Minimum temperature: -0.4c on August 23, 2014
    Warmest month: 18.6c in July 2006
    Coldest month: 10.4c in August 1986

Sunniest month: 284 hours in July 2013
    Dullest month: 81 hours in August 2008
    Sunniest day: 16.0 hours on June 20, 2010

Summer 2016 will not break any records

Summer 2016 will not break any records

At your location... But a mile away,10 miles or a 100 it might or be considerably worse or marginally or not so marginally better,we don't know
    I'm quite happy with this one here anyway for the reasons stated but recognise other experiences elsewhere not so rosy are available

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Just the odd drop of rain here in the end. Feeling milder now that the front has passed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

It has been an unusual summer, quickly alternating between cool and mild. There has also been a lack of prolonged sunshine - but when it did shine it was notably warm. The thing for me has been the relentless breeze - a calm day has been as rare as a clear blue sky day this summer, so far. One final thing of note is the lack of rain. Showers missed here by-and-large and the few that did hit were generally light in nature. The grass is burning from a combination of wind-burn and dry soils.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I went for a cycle today at about 5pm. Light drizzle when I started. Driving rain when I finished an hour later. It's been raining since

At least my garden pond isn't drying up this summer.

Compare the previous Summer's high daily falls at Grange with Summer 2016 so far

2016: 15.3mm on June 24th
    2015: 33.5mm on July 4th
    2014: 86.4mm on August 2nd
    2013: 19.8mm on July 25th
    2012: 46.2mm on June 7th
    2011: 21.1mm on June 12th
    2010: 21.5mm on June 7th
    2009: 44.3mm on June 6th

So this Summer certainly has had a lower maximum daily rainfall than recent years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Compare the previous Summer's high daily falls at Grange with Summer 2016 so far

So this Summer certainly has had a lower maximum daily rainfall than recent years.

Apart from the 1st week of July which was extremely wet and cold here, this entire summer from end of May to now has been generally dry, any rain has been heavy drizzle or one or 2 quick heavy showers. Overall very little rain.

Most of the past 3 months has been 18-21C days. Rarely has daytime temps peaked less than 18C and a handful of days more than 22C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

yea at " the Grange" but not here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Mayo has 4 official weather stations, if you look at rainfall recordings so far this summer the lowest recording is 179mm in Claremorris and the max is 243mm in Newport and unofficially 268mm in Castlebar , we may live on a small island but the weather can differ greatly from town to town, as can our summers, far too much sniping going on in this forum recently and it is easy to see the culprits, it is becoming an unpleasant place after many years of enjoyment.

No rain at all here yesterday and given sunshine until about 4 that would burn you and temps responding into the low 20s,it was another 8 out of 10 day on this east coast margin
    I do not want to be annoying saying things like that,it's just the difference to the rest of the country is palpable,these past 3 summers on the east coast margin from about S Dublin to Wexford and NE co Waterford and I'm not the only one reporting it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Xenji wrote: »
    We may live on a small island but the weather can differ greatly from town to town, as can our summers, far too much sniping going on in this forum recently and it is easy to see the culprits, it is becoming an unpleasant place after many years of enjoyment.

Agreed.

Mod Note: Lets cut out the 'because I'm having a good summer, everybody is having a good summer, whether they like it or not' lark.

It is becoming a little tiresome.

Suns out
    Shaping up to be another lovely summers day :)

Gonzo wrote: »
    Apart from the 1st week of July which was extremely wet and cold here, this entire summer from end of May to now has been generally dry, any rain has been heavy drizzle or one or 2 quick heavy showers. Overall very little rain.

Most of the past 3 months has been 18-21C days. Rarely has daytime temps peaked less than 18C and a handful of days more than 22C.

The 1st week of July had me only recording rainfall on the 1st, 2nd and 6th. My highest daily fall was only 6.3mm on the 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Rainfall stats from reporting Met Eireann stations for the summer so far. It is pretty apparent which regions are getting the ****ty end of the deal:

394263.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

light patchy rain
    the same light patchy rain that moved in Thursday morning for a few hours.............and never left
    can't wait for the 2 day dry spell.

Well here are Ireland's recent summers' high daily rainfalls to keep you happy.

2016: 57.9mm at Sherkin Island on August 1st
    2015: 41.3mm at Cork Airport on July 6th
    2014: 95.0mm at Clonaslee on August 1st
    2013: 62.5mm at Ballincurrig on July 24th
    2012: 99.5mm at Lough Glencar on June 8th
    2011: 37.4mm at Galway on June 24th
    2010: 57.9mm at Glenties on July 10th
    2009: 45.3mm at Valentia on August 23rd

This Summer's highest daily fall has been the equal-fourth lowest in recent years, nothing remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Great stats Oneric

Interesting to see all the rain

Sligo Town tends to be wetter than Markree so id imagine we are 43 or 44 on the wet day table behind Knock

Not at all strange for the weather to be like this in nw in August

Generally the HP will slip a bit further South

However the constant mist n heavy drizzles a bit downer

Sunshine figures for West this August must be low

Roll on Monday

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very disappointing today, only 16C, feeling chilly and not much sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Gonzo wrote: »
    very disappointing today, only 16C, feeling chilly and not much sun.
    How can a chart like this give such overcast conditions?
    I haven't seen this before, the airflow behind a cold front always gives long sunny spells?

ISO_TODAY_ATL.png?1348

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

18.9c here in West Clare, but relentless cloud. Dry at least.

Yes I have to admit the lack of sunshine is really getting to me now, besides that it's been an alright summer, but jesus these clouds can't seem to feck off for long can they!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Again, the weather has not lived up to expectations. I think from what people have heard, today was meant to be warm, mostly sunny, but with the odd shower. In Dublin, there has been no sign of sunshine. Just overcast with the odd small patch of blue.

Trebor176 wrote: »
    Again, the weather has not lived up to expectations. I think from what people have heard, today was meant to be warm, mostly sunny, but with the odd shower. In Dublin, there has been no sign of sunshine. Just overcast with the odd small patch of blue.

I find people regularly don't read the forecasts properly or gossip the weather around, I often get people informing me of a heatwave next week, which is non-existant or tomorrow is to be beautiful when it's really going to be a drizzly mess.

M.T forecasted a mix of cloud and sun, sun mainly in the south for today. Any reports of sun from the south?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Looking at the met.ie visible satellite a blanket of light cloud covers the country. We are all equal today!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I find people regularly don't read the forecasts properly or gossip the weather around, I often get people informing me of a heatwave next week, which is non-existant or tomorrow is to be beautiful when it's really going to be a drizzly mess.

M.T forecasted a mix of cloud and sun, sun mainly in the south for today. Any reports of sun from the south?

I find that a lot of these stories are covered by the likes of The Mirror, The Sun, The Journal, etc. When I see the headlines of a heatwave or the worst snow in decades and the sources are any of the above, I tend to turn a blind eye. This forum is my source of reliable info ;)

Sunny here in West Clare! After rain for a good 15mins it has cleared to sun!

Lovely day in Blackpool with plenty of blue skies to enjoy and a max of 19c, very pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

From MetE.
    Becoming cooler and unsettled again from Thursday on with temperatures dropping back as westerly winds return.
    I cant see the return of westerly winds next week when indications are that pressure is rising over Scandinavia.

UW120-21.GIF?13-18
    why cant we see this in winter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I wouldn't have much expectorations when it comes to August in this part of the world - just one good one since the turn of the centuary(2003). Best bet for some decent late summer weather is usually the first week of September in my experience

Advertisement