Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Another depressing summer of cloud, drizzle/mist call it what you will almost daily and strong winds regularly. Real draoích weather. My lovely flower pots are a sorry mess.

NW Clare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Cloudy,dry and again the sun is making a valiant attempt to peep through,hope it succeeds
    16c
    Nice day out

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Oh look even Tuesday isn't promised dry in the west now
    Looking forward to one sunny day tomorrow
    Maybe

She's breaking through,she's breaking through :D

And another view of the blue sky just appearing:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

ArKl0w wrote: »
    And another view of the blue sky just appearing:)
    How happy are those cows! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

about a week ago this was looking like a 2 week event, it downgraded massively each day and now all we're left it is nothing more than 2 average to slightly warm days. Still today here no sun and temps are nothing to write home about.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I knew August wasn't going to be a remarkable month at all from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Its a crap summer, full stop.....feels like Iceland here to be honest.

Where in Leinster (I'm assuming because of your username) are you exactly? Plus how does it feel like Iceland? It has been a warmer than normal Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

this summer was turning out fairly decent here until the past week where the exception of 2 days, all we've had is wall to wall cloud and struggling temps. No sign of any sun or warmth even today.

Gonzo wrote: »
    this summer was turning out fairly decent here until the past week where the exception of 2 days, all we've had is wall to wall cloud and struggling temps. No sign of any sun or warmth even today.

Just like we advise you in winter to travel down to Wicklow for the snow,perhaps you should do the same in Summer for the sun or the thunderstorms ,we have it all:D

So I've just been given Grange's August statistics up to this point by my great friend.

Rainfall: 14.1mm (20% of the LTA)
    Mean temperature: 16.2c (+2.4c above the LTA)
    Sunshine: 45 hours (34% of the LTA, should be at 46% by now... well below normal)

So August has gotten off to a quite warm, dry and very dull start here.

Could we see what August 2002 gave us though? - A very dull start with a much sunnier second half but still not sunnier than normal overall?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Summer Is Not Over, Meteorologist Reminds Public

today was meant to be up to 22C with widespread 19-21C. Most places are struggling between 14 and 16C today. They really got this one wrong.

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/warm-and-dry-this-weekend-with-highs-of-22-degrees-in-parts-met-eireann/

Gonzo wrote: »
    today was meant to be up to 22C with widespread 19-21C. Most places are struggling between 14 and 16C today. They really got this one wrong.

Are you surprised though? They have really been inaccurate lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Timmyboy

Let me correct that..
    They are fairly inaccurate on a regular basis.
    Very untrustworthy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Temp set to peak later in the day today. Yes frustrating downgrades in the forecasts, cloud cover spoiling the day but some signs of it getting lighter now and begining to break up, still only 16.2C here near Tralee yet very calm and dry at least.

qjcZrNK.png?1

Here is what 2016 has been like so far at Grange, some have had much cooler and drier or warmer and wetter. My sunshine is very controversy though due to how low totals most of you have recorded.

Rainfall

January: 112.0mm (196%)
    February: 61.2mm (133%)
    March: 46.1mm (104%)
    April: 104.0mm (217%)
    May: 60.5mm (116%)
    June: 78.9mm (129%)
    July: 27.4mm (50%)
    August: 14.1mm (20%)

Mean temperature

January: 5.2c (+0.6c)
    February: 4.2c (-0.4c)
    March: 5.7c (-1.8c)
    April: 6.6c (-1.9c)
    May: 11.8c (+0.5c)
    June: 14.9c (+2.2c)
    July: 16.4c (+1.6c)
    August: 16.2c (+2.4c)

Sunshine

January: 75 hours (183%)
    February: 80 hours (114%)
    March: 125 hours (136%)
    April: 169 hours (116%)
    May: 241 hours (134%)
    June: 160 hours (90%)
    July: 150 hours (92%)
    August: 45 hours (34%)

Using these statistics, it has been a wet, warm and sunny year so far (at Grange - to say the least). Across the whole of Ireland, it has been a much different story with very variable conditions throughout each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Timmyboy wrote: »
    Let me correct that..
    Very untrustworthy.

Is there not a dedicated thread for this?

Anyway I find met Eireann by far the best of a bad bunch. You just cannot find superior accuracy in forecasting our climate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The next couple of days temperatures wont set the place on fire that's for sure but still better then of late. The HIRLAM probably the best short range model for accuracy.

LEHsjCA.png?1

The HIRLAM not in range yet for Tues, warmer again by the GFS, and the Western half may win out this time, I saw it mention that the East coast could have the cooling effects of an onshore breeze.

lWyFQj2.gif?1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Cloud thinning out enough here in Dungarvan to cast light shadows.

The UK has been faring a fairly dull Summer also with June very dull in the south and fairly sunny in the north whilst July was very dull in the north and fairly dull in the south. August so far has been very dull all over the place.

Met Eireann do overview forecasting
    If they had a better budget,they'd deliver a more focused regional forecast,groups of counties at a time
    I'd do specific daily county forecasts if paid enough
    There are enough nuances county by county to find evidence of the mets national 'overview' forecast to be locally wrong in the eyes of people always critical of them
    We here should know better to be honest

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: Bickering/non weather related posts deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Another misty day in nw but not as misty as past week. Is that what was meant by heatwave

Went swimmin in sea today coz fed up waitin for the warm weather that was originally promised for last thursday to this tuesday but will now be only a day or two

This happens with heatwaves in Summer and snow in Winter year in year out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

wouldn't you know it tomorrow is going to be scorcher, and we're back to work:(

someone up there is taking the p!ss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

fryup wrote: »
    wouldn't you know it tomorrow is going to be scorcher, and we're back to work:(

someone up there is taking the p!ss

Then again, it could be a fairly non-descript day like the last couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

So strange to see a fully clear evening sky,all the muck has finally cleared to the east,a few faint scraps of light on the horizon,such a shame to miss out on all those long evenings,buried and chocked under the muck.very chilly outside too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Timmyboy wrote: »
    Let me correct that..
    Very untrustworthy.

Happening on a weekly basis you hear the weekend will be great , next week looking great doesn't happen standard of weather forecasting lately has been shocking

Advertisement