Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

Douglas , Cork - clear blue sky all day , literally not a single cloud seen all day , 16.5 hours sunshine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭130Kph

Met Eireann 7pm reports, Shannon Airport 24 degrees. Gurteen and Mount Dillon at 23 degrees. warm out! 22.2 here in Castlebar

I’m dubious about the Shannon location accuracy. It seems that this met station is more often than not the highest or in the top 3 or 5 highest temp locations in the country. I think the acres of hot concrete on the aircraft aprons affect & increase the temp data there.

I kept an eye on this 3 years ago during the July 2013 heatwave {and occasionally since}. Anyway, I saw one particular midnight met eireann report said Shannon was 19C (I lived 18km away as the crow flies at the time with no hills or anything that might alter temperatures in between) so I went outside at 12.20am bare chested in my y-fronts to check if it felt like 19C and it was cold - no balmy heat, no sultry summer heat, no heat at all
    it was just a typical Irish (chilly) summers midnight.

So as much as I’d like to think of Shannon as a blessed hotspot, I just think it over reads its temperature due to all the airport concrete and taramac (Dublin & Cork airport don’t seem to over read as much).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

i would tend to agree with you there, it always seems to be a "hot spot" . as you say probably all the tarmac etc . the Mount Dillon one for instance is in a far more rural location pictured here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

km79 wrote: »
    WOW
    I actually can't believe that
    Your reports and historical reports are top notch
    It's fantastic to see someone so young with such an interest in the science of the weather
    Fair play and keep it up !
    Mother Nature is a fascinating entity :D

Thank you :). I have had an interest in weather since I was about 5 actually. Here's a picture of me at the top of Met Éireann (Here's me at Met Éireann Robert :pac:) when I was only 9 on 20 July 2010 :pac::pac:. Excuse my freaky smile :o:pac::pac:. Thanks so much the both of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

Its going to be a very warm night, temps just under the 20 mark! I haven't felt a night as warm here here since July 2013.

• Advertisement

Padster90s wrote: »
    Its going to be a very warm night, temps just under the 20 mark! I haven't felt a night as warm here here since July 2013.

Yeah good point actually. Didn't realise how long ago the last very warm nights took place and the closest I could find is June 30th / July 1st last year but even that was nothing whilst in 2014, the nights weren't that warm.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yeah good point actually. Didn't realise how long ago the last very warm nights took place and the closest I could find is June 30th / July 1st last year but even that was nothing whilst in 2014, the nights weren't that warm.

2014 was a good Summer, a high of around 28/29 here in Limerick in mid July but 2013 has it beat, sunnier, hotter and warmer nights. I remember checking weather apps and for about three weeks in July 2013 the day and night temps never dropped below 16. There was one Saturday night in July 2013 where the temp stayed well above 20, the house was unbearable that night, no breeze or anything just dead heat! I'm hoping for a 2013 summer, June started off like this year, maybe a week or so later though.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Thank you :). I have had an interest in weather since I was about 5 actually. Here's a picture of me at the top of Met Éireann (Here's me at Met Éireann Robert :pac:) when I was only 9 on 20 July 2010 :pac::pac:. Excuse my freaky smile :o:pac::pac:. Thanks so much the both of you.

We have a new weather forum legend
    There is MTC and you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

A little warm pool of water is developing off southwest coast because of the sun and warm air moving offshore in the northeasterly airflow:

europe.png

km79 wrote: »
    We have a new weather forum legend
    There is MTC and you :D

:pac::pac::D.

Just asking since I haven't ever gotten feedback on them, how are my weather predictions? Are they accurate in anyway? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Went for a 5 mile run after 9pm this evening.
    What a fabulous day and evening. The great thing about these past few days is the lack of high humidity.

Normally it is difficult to enjoy warm weather in Ireland but these past few days there has been a lovely cool breeze as the sun set. It makes the warm weather enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Superb day. Two gorgeous swims. Loving it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Dull misty morning here in the midlands. That cloud looks solid and not moving very fast. Could be a disappointing day for sunshine, here anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Fantastic morning here sunny and warm couldn't be any better. Long live the sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Already 22c in Kildare with dps at 18c

Hey and welcome to your midday forecast. Today is going to be an exceptionally warm and muggy day, watch out, you might be burnt! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Cloud seems to be burning off on the east coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Different day now cloudy and a breeze has picked up warm though 21 degrees. Really hoping sun will come out again though after looking out at it all week.

24.2c in Kildare now. Perhaps a fohn effect in th SEly from the Wicklow Mtns. Dps 19c.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Met Eireann will issue an orange warning for showers tomorrow. According to Siobhan Ryan the showers will be vicious and upto 50mm of rain in places, but it will be warm rain...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

pad199207 wrote: »
    24.2c in Kildare now. Perhaps a fohn effect in th SEly from the Wicklow Mtns. Dps 19c.

Ditto here....24.2c atm (in Dublin 16).

Big cb clouds over wicklow mtns now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Getting rather cloudy over Limerick City at the moment. 21C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

STATUS ORANGE

Rainfall Warning for High risk warning especially for midland, west and northwest areas
    Intense thunderstorms occurring on Bank Holiday Monday. Slippy roads, poor visibility, and local flooding will lead to treacherous driving conditions.

Issued:Sunday 05 June 2016 12:00
    Valid:Monday 06 June 2016 12:00 to Monday 06 June 2016 23:59

Explanation of new warning levels

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

22.9C in Castlebar currently in a pleasant breeze, cloud cover is starting to burn off now as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

Dare I say it but a downpour of rain would be good.....followed of course by a return to our new normal of Riviera conditions. Where I live it is largely clay soil and the garden is cracking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Rare to see exclaimation warning symbols on the met eireann maps for thunderstorms.

http://www.met.ie/#

Hate to say it but a few showers is needed! Growth is starting to slow now without rain.

Rare to see exclaimation warning symbols on the met eireann maps for thunderstorms.

http://www.met.ie/#

Rare enough on the online forecast though fairly common on the TV forecast!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

24c here, easily warmest day of the year so far.

Advertisement