Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

horrendous conditions out there this evening, lots of surface water and cold. One of the worst days of the past 3 months.

Much of England and Wales looks like its gonna enjoy warm, sunny conditions for the next 2 weeks. Things will be very different here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The east will give the west a run for its money in terms of rainfall if this evenings rain keeps up!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

RobertKK wrote: »
    I was expecting a wet day but instead just 0.8mm of rain today, humid with a high of 18.3C, down 6.4C on yesterday.

Similar here just to your NW over the border in S Laois. AWS reporting 1.2mm for the day, which I guess is over-estimated even at that.

Max also 18.3c in brief milky sunshine around 6pm or thereabouts.

ukmaxtemp.png

Life's not really fair.low to mid 20s across Southern England from now till the end of August.

Heck, my location is closer to 0c than to London's high for next Tuesday! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

The heavy rain i seen falling during the Dundalk match in dublin earlier has'nt made it to north meath, its been a mostly misty foggy and fairly mild evening so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Looks like there was a lot of rain here last night.
    Slow moving and somewhat heavy on the radar for the early hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

18mm in my backyard so rainfall for August (so far) still below average.

Nothing wrong with this! :)

UW120-21.GIF?18-07

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

18mm in my backyard so rainfall for August (so far) still below average.

Nothing wrong with this! :)

UW120-21.GIF?18-07

37mm in mine now all because of yesterday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not sure if I'm in the right spot, but what can be expected for the weekend, hoping to head to Inis Oirr, off the coast of Galway/Clare on Saturday. The rain seems guaranteed but relatively light, a 6mm, what's the forecast in these parts?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Not sure if I'm in the right spot, but what can be expected for the weekend, hoping to head to Inis Oirr, off the coast of Galway/Clare on Saturday. The rain seems guaranteed but relatively light, a 6mm, what's the forecast in these parts?

"Saturday: Windy and very wet, with showers or longer spells of rain, heavy and thundery at times and with a risk of some spot flooding. A few bright spells, but mainly cloudy and misty. Top temperatures just 15 to 18 C., in fresh to strong and gusty westerly winds. The rain or showers will tend to die out overnight.

Sunday: Some dry, bright weather for a time, with some sunny spells and just a few scattered showers. But another spell of rain is set to affect the Atlantic Seaboard around lunchtime Sunday and this rain will then extend across the country in the afternoon and early evening. Top temperatures 17 to 19 C."

The above is from the Met Eireann forecast. Not light by any standard, infact very heavy.

Saturday looks horrible, but the first half of Sunday looks the best of a bad bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Carnacalla wrote: »
    "Saturday: Windy and very wet, with showers or longer spells of rain, heavy and thundery at times and with a risk of some spot flooding. A few bright spells, but mainly cloudy and misty. Top temperatures just 15 to 18 C., in fresh to strong and gusty westerly winds. The rain or showers will tend to die out overnight.

Sunday: Some dry, bright weather for a time, with some sunny spells and just a few scattered showers. But another spell of rain is set to affect the Atlantic Seaboard around lunchtime Sunday and this rain will then extend across the country in the afternoon and early evening. Top temperatures 17 to 19 C."

The above is from the Met Eireann forecast. Not light by any standard, infact very heavy.

Saturday looks horrible, but the first half of Sunday looks the best of a bad bunch.

Thanks and

Bugger....

Got a surge of heat for a wee while in prolonged sunshine and temps rocketed up to 23.4c, back down to 20.0c now as cloud closes in once more over South Laois.

Weather station states 19.8c, didn't believe it sonwent outside and yep, very warm, with even a little hazy sunshine, completely dead calm here too in West Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

sryanbruen wrote: »
    37mm in mine now all because of yesterday.
    surely you mean 37mm so far this month? Dublin Airport got 12mm yesterday and I got 18mm as I said earlier.
    Yesterday's totals:
    http://www.met.ie/latest/yesterday.asp

surely you mean 37mm so far this month? Dublin Airport got 12mm yesterday and I got 18mm as I said earlier.
    Yesterday's totals:
    http://www.met.ie/latest/yesterday.asp

Yeah I was saying for the whole month but I recorded over 22mm alone yesterday, sorry for the confusion.

Statistics from the Met Office show up to this point that in the UK at least, it has been a very dry, mild and rather sunny August so far. However, in Ireland, it has been kind of different with dry, variable temperatures and dull conditions during the month so far.

UK is at 51% of their LTA rainfall (Scotland has recorded nearly its whole month average which is why the whole UK % of LTA rainfall is high), +0.1c above their LTA temperature and 59% of their LTA sunshine for the whole month.

According to MT, Ireland is at 64% of its LTA rainfall, +0.2c above the LTA temperature and 66% of its LTA sunshine.

Overall looking at these, August hasn't gotten off to a hugely terrible start unlike July but it certainly hasn't been brilliant by any means.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

after yesterday's winter like gloom, today started gloomy but the afternoon brightened up and temps got up to 20C earlier and no rain today, huge improvement over yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Statistics from the Met Office show up to this point that in the UK at least, it has been a very dry, mild and rather sunny August so far. However, in Ireland, it has been kind of different with dry, variable temperatures and dull conditions during the month so far.

UK is at 51% of their LTA rainfall (Scotland has recorded nearly its whole month average which is why the whole UK % of LTA rainfall is high), +0.1c above their LTA temperature and 59% of their LTA sunshine for the whole month.

According to MT, Ireland is at 64% of its LTA rainfall, +0.2c above the LTA temperature and 66% of its LTA sunshine.

Overall looking at these, August hasn't gotten off to a hugely terrible start unlike July but it certainly hasn't been brilliant by any means.

Which is what so many of us have been saying here all summer despite the churlish name calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Which is what so many of us have been saying here all summer despite the churlish name calling.
    Sunshine over a third less than normal is going to make people think it's not pleasant. There is no mention of the wind either. There has been a lot of windy and breezy spells. ...again something that people generality find unpleasant and not summer like.

From Met Eireann
    Weather Advisory for Wexford, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Waterford
    A deep Atlantic depression is approaching from the southwest and will track east over Ireland on Friday night and early Saturday. It is expected to generate some unseasonably strong southwesterly winds on its southern flank with the strongest winds affecting southwestern and southern coastal counties later Friday and early Saturday, some squalls of 80 or 90km/h are possible in coastal areas. Rough seas are expected with some heavy thundery rain or showers at times also.

Issued:Thursday 18 August 2016 18:00
    Valid:Friday 19 August 2016 15:00 to Saturday 20 August 2016 18:00

• Advertisement

highdef wrote: »
    Sunshine over a third less than normal is going to make people think it's not pleasant. There is no mention of the wind either. There has been a lot of windy and breezy spells. ...again something that people generality find unpleasant and not summer like.

Summer 2015 was much windier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

In general, max temps are running near or a little below normal this August so far, but mins are running well in excess of average, by as much as 3.0 degrees. Can't see this trend changing much for the foreseeable.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    In general, max temps are running near or a little below normal this August so far, but mins are running well in excess of average, by as much as 3.0 degrees. Can't see this trend changing much for the foreseeable.

How often is it that a Summer month has above average minimums yet below average maximums? And yes, I don't have any statistics on this, that's why I'm asking :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

How often is it that a Summer month has above average minimums yet below average maximums? And yes, I don't have any statistics on this, that's why I'm asking :rolleyes:.

I don't have the stats to hand but these type of summer months seems to be becoming more frequent. If I remember correctly (and am open to correction) Aug 2010/11/12 were such months.

I for one am looking forward to some crispy Autumnal nights.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I don't have the stats to hand but these type of summer months seems to becoming more frequent. If I remember correctly (and am open to correction) Aug 2010/11/12 were such months.

Looking at your examples, I have to 100% disagree with August 2010, its minimums especially during the last few days were very low. August 2011 was very cool in both ways. August 2012 was actually very mild, I'm not sure about the minimums but could be a good example.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The depression getting close now. Expecting the first band of rain and increase in wind proper around midnight - 1.00 here in Kerry. Interesting to see it develop. There will be a lot of contrasting weather in different parts of the country throughout the weekend. Saturday will be quite windy also and probably more widespread wind from the afternoon /evening.

DdamMbG.jpg?1

Gx1hPK0.png?1

zBQuOmH.png?1

D47gRSy.gif?1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Always a good post from you Meteorite, very unsettled indeed for the next few days. Today was the day to get outdoor jobs done.

This weekend is looking more like mid October than mid August, could be the worst weather of the summer yet.

horrible morning here, very wet and windy, very dark with lights on. Sick of this muck already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Yaaay Autumn has arrived :D *waits for backlash

Advertisement