Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

dexter647 wrote: »
    Some very heavy rain here this morning, in south Laois, as that low passed over. Aside from the odd day here and there this summer has been very disappointing:(

Got 12.4mm which is welcome considering the extended semi-drought.

It has been a cloudy, dry, breezy but mild summer. I'd rate it better than 2015 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

45.5 mm so far today. deszcz.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

joujoujou wrote: »
    45.5 mm so far today. deszcz.gif

Genie mac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

highdef wrote: »
    Famous last words ;)

I absolutely love rain so there will be no regrets. Dublin has been incredibly dry for months now. I can recall only two fully wet days in June and none since. Every time a wet day is forecast we get little more than a passing shower of drizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

Considering the forecast it's a grand day in Dublin. I'm sure there's more rain to come but overall it's been mostly dry so far. I'd love a proper wet day.

Wouldn't describe it as a mostly dry day in my part of Dublin... lol (Swords)
    Rain all morning and been bucketing down now for last hour or so.
    Love the rain, so no complaints from me.

• Advertisement

I absolutely love rain so there will be no regrets. Dublin has been incredibly dry for months now. I can recall only two fully wet days in June and none since. Every time a wet day is forecast we get little more than a passing shower of drizzle.

I just find it hilarious how my area (in Dublin) has also had a lack of very wet days yet every month this year from January - June was wetter than normal here and only January, February and April were wetter than normal in Dublin itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Good point. It has to be said that the garden is looking great and full of life. :)
    42mm since Thursday here. Bucketing down now.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Genie mac.

Never mind this post 'cause I have recorded 24.6mm so far today.

And I have recorded 57mm since Wednesday Elmer here.

Never mind this post 'cause I have recorded 24.6mm so far today.

And I have recorded 57mm since Wednesday Elmer here.
    I meant to say 42mm (43mm now) since Wednesday and not Thursday.
    I got 18mm on Wed, 12mm on Fri and the rest (13mm) since around 4am today.

I meant to say 42mm (43mm now) since Wednesday and not Thursday.
    I got 18mm on Wed, 12mm on Fri and the rest (13mm) since around 4am today.

22mm on Wednesday, 10mm on Friday and now 25mm so far today, still going. August is now officially wetter than normal here, not much Irish stations have been wetter than normal (YET).

This year could be the new 1993 for my area except now it's about rainfall than dull conditions. 1993 had only two sunny months, August and November here and this year we have only July so far as drier than normal. Of course there have been some great regional variations between months, especially April and May.

It's also funny how 2016 has not had a very remarkable month so far in any record type.

Each year in the 2010s so far has a record month for Ireland as a whole.

2010 - Coldest December on record.
    2011 - Warmest April on record.
    2012 - Wettest June on record.
    2013 - Warmest July on record.
    2014 - Wettest February on record.
    2015 - Wettest and warmest December on record. Wettest month on record.

2016 - ?

And to be honest for the rest of the year, I am not feeling a record-breaking month coming. It is not looking remarkable at all for the rest of the year including for the start of 2017. Even if the Winter isn't cold, at least make it like Winter 2005/06 please.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some big clouds producing all that rain in the Midlands / East, cloud tops showing up well on the Sat pic, plenty more to come by the looks of it. A few passing showers here in Kerry this afternoon, breezy and just 15.1C

wlJaBCv.jpg

l313yZd.png?1

Some big clouds producing all that rain in the Midlands / East, cloud tops showing up well on the Sat pic, plenty more to come by the looks of it. A few passing showers here in Kerry this afternoon, breezy and just 15.1C

wlJaBCv.jpg

l313yZd.png?1

Mad how we're getting all the rain and we also have the highest temperatures.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

downpours here again, lots of water. Garden starting to turn into a swamp now with all the rain over past 3 days. This is really turning into a wet and miserable August and there is no shortage of downpours over the next 7-15 days.

the only good thing is the decent temperatures. The east likely to see 20-24C for most of next week and weekend despite the unsettled conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Depends on what part of Dublin, I've lost count the amount of times I've been soaked going to and from work in the past 5 weeks and I do 2 hour commutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Sun is back after a fairly light shower.
    Looks like more to come.

22mm on Wednesday, 10mm on Friday and now 25mm so far today, still going. August is now officially wetter than normal here, not much Irish stations have been wetter than normal (YET).

2010 - Coldest December on record.
    2011 - Warmest April on record.
    2012 - Wettest June on record.
    2013 - Warmest July on record.
    2014 - Wettest February on record.
    2015 - Wettest and warmest December on record. Wettest month on record.

2016 - ?
    March 2013 was the coldest on record at some "newer" weather stations but not at the long standing ones like Dublin Airport, Phoenix Park, Birr to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Relentless downpours all afternoon. Kildare really taking the brunt of the showers today.

March 2013 was the coldest on record at some "newer" weather stations but not at the long standing ones like Dublin Airport, Phoenix Park, Birr to name a few.

False: It was the coldest March on record at Dublin Airport. Anyway back to the here and now in Autumn 2016, oh wait I keep forgetting, it's still Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Mountains are taking the sting out of showers for my location.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

This weather is very abrasive.....amongst other things...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

Has anyone noticed less and less people would even consider August not summer anymore? Irelands celtic calendar just couldn't compete against globalisation.

BabyE wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed less and less people would even consider August not summer anymore?

Yes and I don't blame them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

BabyE wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed less and less people would even consider August not summer anymore? Irelands celtic calendar just couldn't compete against globalisation.

August is mostly a wet and crap month with evenings getting darker. August always brings the first taste of autumn. It seems like our best months for decent summery weather is often May, sometimes June and usually September. August rarely delivers a decent summer appearance.

Gonzo wrote: »
    August is mostly a wet and crap month with evenings getting darker. August always brings the first taste of autumn. It seems like our best months for decent summery weather is often May, sometimes June and usually September. August rarely delivers a decent summer appearance.

Yep and those rare occasions were 1947, 1976, 1991, 1995 and 2003. May has also been pretty crap in recent years though - 2016 broke that cycle of crap Mays.

large pools of water developing in the garden now, water running down the road and drains bursting over. no tv signal and dark with lights on. rain coming down in sheets like you see in the movies. Heaviest rain ive seen here since last November.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    large pools of water developing in the garden now, water running down the road and drains bursting over. no tv signal and dark with lights on. rain coming down in sheets like you see in the movies. Heaviest rain ive seen here since last November.

Thankfully escaping that here, but the mother was on the phone to me there and its absolutely belting down there, and its only about 6-7km away

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

drove from Dublin airport to galway between 3 and 6pm today and the driving conditions were HORRENDOUS for the first half of the journey
    not helped by people with no lights OR the lady doing 60 kmh in hr overtaking lane alongside an artic truck also with no lights on

still bucketing down with rain here, almost continuous rain here since 2pm and most of it very heavy. Some side roads are already flooded here.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭alentejo

Utterly awful day in Dublin. And to think that in most of Europe it's still summer. Would agree that in general August is definitely more autumn than summer in Ireland. Ah well, the usual good week as the schools returns is nearly upon us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I was on the M6 westbound past Athlone at lunchtime today and hit some of the heaviest showers I've ever experienced. We were down to 50kph on the motorway at stages. An immense amount of standing water and with full wipers on we could hardly see out the window. Scary stuff.

Advertisement