Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I was on the M6 westbound past Athlone at lunchtime today and hit some of the heaviest showers I've ever experienced. We were down to 50kph on the motorway at stages. An immense amount of standing water and with full wipers on we could hardly see out the window. Scary stuff.

similar showers here, at times the rain drops were not much smaller than milk bottle tops and bouncing back up off the ground, i'd say driving would have been a nightmare and very dangerous. Amazed there was no thunder or lightning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Cliff Walker

So how many marks out of 10 would you give summer 16 ? I would give it 4 out of 10, pretty forgettable really like 09 and 12 started off very good but soon became pretty poor overall

• Registered Users Posts: 33,646 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You're being generous with 4.

Summer 16 has convinced me that we will have a foreign holiday in Summer 17. Not taking the chance next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

well i work in the out doors and id give it a 7. we are having good dry periods with wet spells perfect irish weather

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

I would give it a 3, such depressing weather, I think we try to accept we will not get glorious sunshine, but even dry days I would be happy with at least you can get out and about a little better, I have relatives from Spain staying this week to say it's a wash out is an understatement, out and about today at the Hill of Tara, we all got soaked , so just came back home, Depressing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,646 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

well i work in the out doors and id give it a 7. we are having good dry periods with wet spells perfect irish weather

Don't know where you are, but I'm far North, and Malin Head had 3 days with no rain in July.....3 I tells ye!!

NIMAN wrote: »
    Don't know where you are, but I'm far North, and Malin Head had 3 days with no rain in July.....3 I tells ye!!

sorry about 20 miles from dublin . one of the lads i work with who goes to donegal every weekend tells me it dosent stop raining up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

6/10 and to the guy who said 2012 started off good, it certainly did not, June 2012 (the first Summer month....) was the most miserable Summer month I have ever suffered.

NIMAN wrote: »

And here in Dublin, I had a total of 18 dry days in July.

jesus the weather here doesnt make me depressed, in fairness it normally mild with a bit of rain. I bought a good rain jacket for that ..

the harvest is early this year in my parts, the turf is home and they cut a second lot in early july!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

2/10.

Generous because there was maybe 4 sunny days in three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

3/10.

You people are crazy and looking at the statistics in the west etc, I would still give it a 5/10.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: I merged the 'Marks out of 10' thread into the 'Summer '16' thread as we just don't need a separate thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yeah it's hard to pick which Summer was better between 2015 and 2016. Summer 2015's downfall was its cold nature and is the second coldest Summer of this century so far after 2011. Summer 2016's downfall has been its dull nature. I think I'll have to go with 2016 because I prefer warm days over cold days even if 2015 was sunnier.

It's like trying to pick between a giant douche and a turd sandwich.....

9d5d40b79e18979c505de59e72f4a787a4696745b36d01eace62e8bc7a757384.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

2/10.

Generous because there was maybe 4 sunny days in three months.

Same
    And I'm giving the 2 for the 2 weeks I was in Spain :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

8 out of 10
    Sunnier than last summer which was also a good one and more days above 20c too
    Until this week practically no rain

Mullingar recorded 46.8mm all day yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

0/10.

A summer with no redeeming features at all. Cloudy, humid, uncomfortable junk sums it up for me with most of the rainfall the coming in the form of drizzle.

Roll on November.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    0/10.

A summer with no redeeming features at all. Cloudy, humid, uncomfortable junk sums it up for me with most of the rainfall the coming in the form of drizzle.

Roll on November.

So humidity or heat is nothing of a redeeming feature to you as wasn't the case in Summer 2015 when it was literally Winter 'cause some nights had temperatures below 0c.

• Advertisement

So humidity or heat is nothing of a redeeming feature to you .

No. This summer was absolute trash in the west, and certainly in my part of it. I shan't apologise for saying that.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

My views are well known on this summer. Decidedly average and by average I mean Irish average so a 5 from me. We've had 4 gorgeous days in Clonmel since July 01st the rest have been meh.

Despite my rating of 6/10 for this Summer here, in fairness, to what I originally predicted it to be, it has been poor (just in contrast with my predictions).

I said June to be a dry and warm month with thundery downpours at times, I was almost spot on with this. July I predicted to be warm, dry and sunny, :pac::pac:, maybe next year, hopefully. August I predicted to be warm, wet and sunny, well it has been mild, wet and dull so kinda right there.

According to patterns, long range forecasters say that 2017 will not be a good Summer either and we'll have to wait 'til 2018 for a good one. I disagree, I have a good feeling we'll get a good Summer in 2017 due to how it has the same calendar as the summers of 1989, 1995, 2000 and 2006 and Mother Nature feels like giving all the good summers to years like these with that specific calendar :P:P. If it will not be a good Summer, then **** me :cool:.

Summer 2016 joins in the battle, who wins?

2015 v 2016 - 2016 wins
    2014 v 2016 - 2014 wins
    2013 v 2016 - 2013 wins
    2012 v 2016 - 2016 wins
    2011 v 2016 - mmmm... you decide
    2010 v 2016 - 2010 wins

So 2016 according to this (unless you answer what I said 'cause I can't answer it) is the third worst Summer this decade so far.

I should have known better that a good May doesn't necessarily mean a good Summer when I was making my predictions.

No. This summer was absolute trash in the west, and certainly in my part of it. I shan't apologise for saying that.

Ok. I'm just not going to say anything to that.

Summer 2015 when it was literally Winter 'cause some nights had temperatures below 0c.

Which summer nights in Summer 2015 had temps below 0.0c? Unless of course, you are talking about grass temps?

New Moon

Which summer nights in Summer 2015 had temps below 0.0c? Unless of course, you are talking about grass temps?

June 9th and July 15th. And probably. I could be getting mixed up with the UK.

Ok. I'm just not going to say anything to that.

And why should you? Perhaps I should say it was a alright summer coz it was ok in Grange? :p

New Moon

And why should you? Perhaps I should say it was a alright summer coz it was ok in Grange? :p

No 'cause looking at the statistics in the west, it has been very average. And I can see why people would think it has been crap. Just remember that you people in the west fared better during the fine spell in June than the east did. We here have had many days with 20c or more yet we still didn't get the highest temperatures overall for the Summer as the midlands and some parts of the west did. Looking at many stations in the west as a whole, I get:

June - Warm, wet and dull.
    July - Very dull, mild or average and wet.
    August - Mild or average, dull and wet up to this stage.

Seems pretty average to me for IRELAND. Seems quite like a 1994-styled summer by looking at this summary which had very similar conditions and was considered rubbish among people, including myself yet it was still pretty average overall as it wasn't remarkable, much like this Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

There's a point where we must accept other opinions vary vastly from ours.

Anyway I had a lovely Sunday sleeping this monring, and I was awoken to...RAIN.

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »
    There's a point where we must accept other opinions vary vastly from ours.

Anyway I had a lovely Sunday sleeping this monring, and I was awoken to...RAIN.

I was awoken to sun, wanna swap?

Advertisement