Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    No 'cause looking at the statistics in the west, it has been very average.

And I am supposed to say it was 'OK' coz it was average? 'Average' means diddly squat when it comes to actually experiencing weather, but for the record, sunshine totals have been below average here in the west for much of the summer, and the amount of rain days have been above, despite 'average' totals. It has also been more humid than normal. Shall I go on? do I need to explain my self further?

Summer 2016 = trash/junk/crap

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    And I am supposed to say it was 'OK' coz it was average? 'Average' means diddly squat when it comes to actually experiencing weather, but for the record, sunshine totals have been below average here in the west for much of the summer, and the amount of rain days have been above, despite 'average' totals. It has also been more humid than normal. Shall I go on? do I need to explain my self further?

Summer 2016 = trash/junk/crap

Sunshine totals have been below average EVERYWHERE dude.

And yes you are, just like I have a hard time saying 1994 was an ok Summer yet when you look at individual months and the feels of the Summer overall, it definitely wasn't ok.

Sunshine totals have been below average EVERYWHERE dude.

I KNOW, I am talking about the west, my region, ya know? and you did, afterall, say that it was an 'average' summer in the west, did you not?

Notwithstanding, which region do you think actually got the lowest sunshine totals this summer? and how do these totals compare to those in other regions?

New Moon

I KNOW, I am talking about the west, my region, ya know? and you did, afterall, say that it was an 'average' summer in the west, did you not?

Notwithstanding, which region do you think actually got the lowest sunshine totals this summer? and how do these totals compare to those in other regions?

Knock Airport is definitely the lowest sunshine total unless you count Thomastown in Northern Ireland. In Summer 2015, the station recorded only 291 hours of sunshine and that is exceptionally low, compare that to my average of around 470 hours. It will be interesting to see how overall Knock Airport has fared sunshine wise this Summer in comparison with last Summer.

Well unfortunately, I only have my sunshine records, I cannot compare with other stations as I have no sources to find them - unless I use Met Éireann's historical data thing BUT August sunshine totals aren't in it yet until the end of the month.

All I can say is Arklow got the highest sunshine total (for sure :rolleyes:) and Knock Airport got the lowest sunshine total and will probably rank as its second or maybe even third dullest Summer on record (2011 might be even duller than 2016).

And yes I did in the west as a whole, of course individual stations will have very different statistics or contrasts. Like April 2016 was a dull month across the east coast with Dublin having its dullest April since 1992. Yet, I still recorded above average sunshine in April - like much of the country did. This was just an example as the very different weather among close regions.

When I look at my totals up to this stage, this Summer has ranked as the fifth dullest in my records with only 1986, 1987, 1994 and 2002 duller. But even if I get at least 3 more hours of sunshine in these last days of August which of course I will, 2016 will be the sixth dullest instead with 2008 duller then. Anyway, we will see if this Summer is one of Ireland's dullest on record in the beginning of September when Met Éireann reveals the Summer 2016 seasonal weather summary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

sh!t summer

• Advertisement

. It will be interesting to see how overall Knock Airport has fared sunshine wise this Summer in comparison with last Summer.

Summer sunshine totals for Knock (provisional data from met.ie daily data) up to August 19th:

2015: 265 hrs
    2016: 247 hrs

New Moon

http://www.met.ie/climate/daily-data.asp

I tend to log daily data values from the yesterday's weather page on a daily basis as it is easier to input in Excel that using that dataset.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

To be honest, I can't see how ye think its been a really bad summer. Its not been great but certainly not as bad as recent ones. This is a West Clare perspective. Being honest I think the thing that catches people out is August weather, if the spell we had in May/June was brought to August, all of a sudden it would be a great summer, in my opinion its just a case of being depressed with the current weather causes people to have a more pessimistic memory.

That's my opinion on it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Forgetting about my own preferences for cold, wet weather and looking at it with a traditional view on what makes a "good" summer, I would give summer 2016 6/10. It has been very dry in general here in Dublin and fairly warm. I spend 4 days a week working outdoors and I have only gotten wet 3 times since May. I suppose it has been quite boring but better than average due to being dry.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    To be honest, I can't see how ye think its been a really bad summer. Its not been great but certainly not as bad as recent ones. This is a West Clare perspective. Being honest I think the thing that catches people out is August weather, if the spell we had in May/June was brought to August, all of a sudden it would be a great summer, in my opinion its just a case of being depressed with the current weather causes people to have a more pessimistic memory.

That's my opinion on it anyway.

I don't have an optimistic or pessimistic memory, I just remember each day as how it goes :cool:. But you're correct anyway like people say 2010 was a bad Summer because July was bad.... 2010 was awesome genie mac.

• Advertisement

I don't have an optimistic or pessimistic memory, I just remember each day as how it goes :cool:.

I don't think anyone is immune, its human nature!

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Being honest I think the thing that catches people out is August weather.

Not in my case. July, apart from a couple of sunny days, was phenomenally dull here in east Galway and consistently humid. at one stage I didn't see the sun for weeks. June I also recall being humid and dull much of the time. It hasn't been that wet here (totals wise) but there has been more days with rain (mostly light, drizzly stuff) than with none.

It is more of a question though of what makes a 'bad' or 'good' summer. These are based on personal perspectives. If we had a more active, stormier summer I would have given it a higher rating because that where my interest lies. I am not into excessive heat and I don't find this particularly interesting from a weather perspective.

As for summer 2015. It was a drab summer, but far from winter- like as some claim. I didn't find it anyway cold or cool at all - despite the below average temps.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Not in my case. July, apart from a couple of sunny days, was phenomenally dull here in east Galway and consistently humid. at one stage I didn't see the sun for weeks. June I also recall being humid and dull much of the time. It hasn't been that wet here (totals wise) but there has been more days with rain (mostly light, drizzly stuff) than with none.

It is more of a question though of what makes a 'bad' or 'good' summer. These are based on personal perspectives. If we had a more active, stormier summer I would have given it a higher rating because that where my interest lies. I am not into excessive heat and I don't find this particularly interesting from a weather perspective.

As for summer 2015. It was a drab summer, but far from winter- like as some claim. I didn't find it anyway cold or cool at all - despite the below average temps.
    People who aren't in this region are underestimating how depressing July was
    There were 2 seperate periods where the sun did not appear AT ALL for over a week
    We did not have back to back dry days all month
    August has been terrible for all so it's been accepted as been poor
    I can confirmed that July was awful depressing in east Galway

If we had a more active, stormier summer I would have given it a higher rating because that where my interest lies. I am not into excessive heat and I don't find this particularly interesting from a weather perspective.

Then we're on two whole different sides. I don't like excessive heat but I do like pleasant days like those in 2014 with sunny days and an average high of 22c, now that is where my interest lies.

km79 wrote: »
    People who aren't in this region are underestimating how depressing July was
    There were 2 seperate periods where the sun did not appear AT ALL for over a week
    We did not have back to back dry days all month
    August has been terrible for all so it's been accepted as been poor
    I can confirmed that July was awful depressing in east Galway

I've seen much worse Julys and Augusts, July 2015 was 10x worse, July 2012 was even more worse. July 1986 was even worse.

Can I just state how shockingly bad today is, I'm getting a headache looking out the window. Heavy wetting drizzle.

I've seen much worse Julys and Augusts, July 2015 was 10x worse here, July 2012 was even more worse. July 1986 was even worse.

There
    I was talking about the east Galway region
    I can't speak for anywhere else bar Teneriffe where it was lovely for 2 weeks :D

There
    I was talking about the east Galway region
    I can't speak for anywhere else bar Teneriffe where it was lovely for 2 weeks :D

And I'm talking about Ireland as a whole.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I was happy enough with this summer up until the past 5 days or so. AT least tho we've had about 20 decent days so far this summer, most of them in May, June and a few in July and only 2 this month.

I've seen much worse Julys and Augusts, July 2015 was 10x worse here

:confused:

Dublin Apt only recorded 69.2 mm that month? If you thought July 2015 was bad, you should have been on this side of the country.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I wonder will the rain really come as expected today. So far it has been a sunny dry day in West Dublin, but fairly fresh and cool. I'd like some proper rain in the daytime.

:confused:

Dublin Apt only recorded 69.2 mm that month? If you thought July 2015 was bad, you should have been on this side of the country.

Look at Grange

81.2mm, -1.2c below the LTA and 110 hours of sunshine (only 72% of the LTA). It was my equal-second dullest July on record and equal coldest July on record. My records go back to 1986 btw as a reminder.

And I should have been in Cork Airport actually, nearly 160mm of rainfall.

Compare July 2015 to 2016 here.

2016 - 27.4mm, +2.2c above the LTA (I don't have remarkably high mean temperatures at all, if they were closer to what most stations are like, I'd still be around +0.5c above the LTA) and 150 hours of sunshine.

Obviously out of the two (HERE), July 2016 was much better but was still not good.

Do you see why I say July 2015 was worse? I hope you have (sorry to annoy anybody here with my statistics).

And I'm talking about Ireland as a whole.

The post I responded to said July 2015 was 10x worse HERE
    I assumed here meant Grange as opposed to the whole of Ireland

The post I responded to said July 2015 was 10x worse HERE
    I assumed here meant Grange as opposed to the whole of Ireland

Oh sorry, I didn't meant to put here in my sentence, I did mean the whole of Ireland. I see how I confused you, sorry.

Look at Grange

81.2mm, -1.2c below the LTA and 110 hours of sunshine (only 72% of the LTA). It was my equal-second dullest July on record and equal coldest July on record. My records go back to 1986 btw as a reminder.

And I should have been in Cork Airport actually, nearly 160mm of rainfall.

110 hours of sunshine is not bad by any stretch and is a hell of a lot more than we got. Plus, 81.2 mm is hardly a wash out. I would not consider that a wet month at all. I find it ironic that you say I am being pessimistic about this summer, yet you think July 2015 was bad when in fact it was better for you than this Summer has been for many of us in the west.

New Moon

110 hours of sunshine is not bad by any stretch and is a hell of a lot more than we got. I find it ironic that you say I am being pessimistic about this summer, yet you think July 2015 was bad when in fact it was better for you than this Summer has been for many of us in the west.

I expect at least 164 hours of sunshine every July. 1986 had only 92 hours, is that comparable to what you got?

I expect at least 164 hours of sunshine every July. 1986 had only 92 hours, is that comparable to what you got?

You expect? are you basing this expectation on averages? because 'averages' and 'normals', as I said earlier, mean feck all. Averages are a product of the extremes on either side that create them. In fact, 'average' summers in Ireland are more rare than the deviations that circle around it.

New Moon

You expect? are you basing this expectation on averages? because 'averages' and 'normals', as I said earlier, mean feck all. Averages are a product of the extremes on either side that create them. In fact, 'average' summers in Ireland are more rare than the deviations that circle around it.

Yes it's average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,789 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Mullingar recorded 46.8mm all day yesterday.
    Palmfield City (10km NE from Knock Airport) 46.9 mm all day yesterday. :(
    No. This summer was absolute trash in the west, and certainly in my part of it. I shan't apologise for saying that.

I second that, only 3 days without rain this month.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

How is Ireland not way more depressing? I mean its not great but generally the vibe is ok in spite of a horrendous climate

We literally do not have an outdoor culture hence why everyone is so stoked on nightlife.

Advertisement