Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I wonder will the rain really come as expected today. So far it has been a sunny dry day in West Dublin, but fairly fresh and cool. I'd like some proper rain in the daytime.

did you not get enough rain yesterday? After yesterday's biblical rain ive had enough to last the rest of this year, unfortunately loads more rain to come over the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

BabyE wrote: »
    How is Ireland not way more depressing? I mean its not great but generally the vibe is ok in spite of a horrendous climate

We literally do not have an outdoor culture hence why everyone is so stoked on nightlife.

Because it's alot easier sit in a pub in bad weather than at home:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

BabyE wrote: »
    How is Ireland not way more depressing? I mean its not great but generally the vibe is ok in spite of a horrendous climate

We literally do not have an outdoor culture hence why everyone is so stoked on nightlife.

Hey Ireland is my love. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Gonzo wrote: »
    did you not get enough rain yesterday? After yesterday's biblical rain ive had enough to last the rest of this year, unfortunately loads more rain to come over the next week.

There was only passing drizzle until around 6pm here yesterday, then light rain for the evening. Still a bright dry day here at the moment. We only seem to get proper rain at night or very early morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

I remember the summers of 1985 and 1986. They were bad but not as bad as this summer. I have seasonal affective disorder and it's hitting me really badly these last two months.

We have had only 4 days without rain for the last two months in Kildare. That's not even a week!!!

• Advertisement

Emme wrote: »
    I remember the summers of 1985 and 1986. They were bad but not as bad as this summer. I have seasonal affective disorder and it's hitting me really badly these last two months.

We have had only 4 days without rain for the last two months in Kildare. That's not even a week!!!

You certainly don't remember the summers of 1985 and 1986 if you're saying they're not as bad as this summer.

Summer 1985 had arguably one of the worst Augusts on record and probably the equal third most horrible August ever recorded after 1912, 1986 and 2008. The Summer also had one of the most deadly thunderstorms or lightning strikes Dublin recorded on 26 July but as usual, this type of weather leads to a great number of deaths.

Summer 1986 had a fairly unremarkable but thundery June whilst July was the dullest on record with many places recording less than 100 hours of sunshine (And I'm talking like more than half the stations) all month. August as you know from what I said about Summer 1985 was again one of the worst Augusts ever on record. It was the coldest in Ireland's records with mean temperatures that are more suited to October and not August. It was the second coldest in the UK after 1912. It was also the wettest August on record at the time across many stations whilst many of those stations had an even wetter August in 2008. A storm brewed on the 5th of August 1986 and brought a good dose of over 60-80mm widely across southern parts with Caherciveen (Valentia Observatory now) recording 85.6mm on this day, its wettest day on record until September 1993 and is now its second wettest day on record. Hurricane Charley arrived on the Emerald Isle's shores on the 25th and brought another atrocious day among Ireland with Kippure in Wicklow recording over 200mm on this day. Dublin Airport itself recorded 58.9mm which was remarkable for August at the time but has been beaten twice in 2008 and then again in 2014. (Funny fact: August 1986, 2008 and 2014 all have the same calendar.....)

Summer 2016 has had an unremarkable dull, warm and wet June mixed with a fairly unremarkable very dull, mild and rather variable rainfall July and what is coming to a wet, dull and cool / mild August. Oneiric3 the whole point why I was really saying it's average looking at this now is because there is nothing remarkable about it, absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Today is quite typical of the summer we have had. Not heavy rainfall but very dull and misty weather. Although there is a very heavy band of rain in the south west at the moment. At least this month isn't as humid as July was.

But overall the amount of sunshine we are getting is pretty shocking. I haven't been to the beach in Ireland in over 2 years.

I can see why people retire to sunnier climes.

Today is quite typical of the summer we have had. Not heavy rainfall but very dull and misty weather. Although there is a very heavy band of rain in the south west at the moment. At least this month isn't as humid as July was.

But overall the amount of sunshine we are getting is pretty shocking. I haven't been to the beach in Ireland in over 2 years.

I can see why people retire to sunnier climes.

Neither have I and frankly, I don't like the beach, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭OldRio

Awful summer in Leitrim. 2/10.

Sick of the rain.

Absoutley pouring out of the heavens here in Ennis at the fleadh, heaviest rain I've seen in a long time. Place is starting to flood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Absoutley pouring out of the heavens here in Ennis at the fleadh, heaviest rain I've seen in a long time. Place is starting to flood

Really hope that misses us
    Will be touch and go jusging by radar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Relentless drizzle in Galway city all day; 7.2mm in the gauge since midnight

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

raining here for past few hours. The past 4 days ive seen more rain than I have between mid May and last Tuesday, or at least it seems like that.

Gonzo wrote: »
    raining here for past few hours. The past 4 days ive seen more rain than I have between mid May and last Tuesday, or at least it seems like that.

Yes it just seems like that, I know how you feel though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

A few pages ago a couple of regular posters were haranguing me for suggesting it wasn't a good summer.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

cloudy and dull in Castlebar with outbreaks of rain/drizzle .18 degrees, light westerly. 1015.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Well the only positives for Sligo Summer 2016

May quite sunny
    June Sunny for half the days warm
    July 3 warm days 2 sunny ones
    August it didnt rain last Monday

For those of you with weather stations do the rain gauges empty automatically after each day?

For those of you with weather stations do the rain gauges empty automatically after each day?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I wonder will the rain really come as expected today. So far it has been a sunny dry day in West Dublin, but fairly fresh and cool. I'd like some proper rain in the daytime.

Well, the answer to that was no - it was another dry day. Just starting to get dark now and no sign of the rain. Rain for tomorrow downgraded to periods of drizzle so will most likely remain dry. Disappointing for me but it has been great weather for working outside and the kids in the estate have had another full weekend outside.

• Advertisement

Well, the answer to that was no - it was another dry day. Just starting to get dark now and no sign of the rain. Rain for tomorrow downgraded to periods of drizzle so will most likely remain dry. Disappointing for me but it has been great weather for working outside and the kids in the estate have had another full weekend outside.

YET a lack of sun which has been the only negative thing I can say about this Summer.

Most personal weather stations have tipping bucket rain gauges that tip and empty once a predetermined amount of water is collected, usually 0.2mm

Standard rain gauges are emptied and measured manually

Lumi wrote: »
    Most personal weather stations have tipping bucket rain gauges that tip and empty once a predetermined amount of water is collected, usually 0.2mm

Standard rain gauges are emptied and measured manually

Would the standard one not be vulnerable to evaporation if only emptied once a day?

Would the standard one not be vulnerable to evaporation if only emptied once a day?

The precipitation collected in a standard gauge is fed by a funnel into a narrow-necked container so any evaporation is minimal.

still lashing here, might be a brief break from the rain in the morning than a potential 12-24 hours of rain in the east between tomorrow evening and wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Oneiric3 the whole point why I was really saying it's average looking at this now is because there is nothing remarkable about it, absolutely nothing.

I agree, which is why it gets a bit fat

from me.

Low stratus/drizzle and incessant, uncomfortable humidity may be some peoples idea of 'not bad', but it ain't mine. I'd much prefer typhoon conditions to be honest.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'd give this summer a 6/10 for the Dublin 7 area. Really dry, mostly not too windy, and a few lovely days of sun.

Drove back there from north Donegal earlier and it was like a cross section of this thread - mainly dry at the start, some miserable downpours through NI/Monaghan, brightening up a bit with just some light drizzle around Slane, then hit the M50 and a few blue patches of sky start peeking out.

17.4c here at 1 am, uncomfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

The only place I've heard a discussion on the merits of this summer is on this thread. To your average Joe public out there it's been a pretty crappy few months and I say this after another drenching this morning on a gloomy dark manky Monday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

A few pages ago a couple of regular posters were haranguing me for suggesting it wasn't a good summer.....

But it was in the East,with the exception of the past few days
    No amount of bad weather in the west will change that

It seems comparing clonmel ,Sligo and Gort to S Dublin ,Bray ,Wexford and Arklow is like trying to compare London weather with Blackpool or west wales

The nuances here in the East are the long land track dries out the air which helps the lee of the hills to bring sunny breaks not experienced further west

Advertisement