Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The only place I've heard a discussion on the merits of this summer is on this thread. To your average Joe public out there it's been a pretty crappy few months and I say this after another drenching this morning on a gloomy dark manky Monday morning.

Except, by the laws of averages, a large proportion of Ireland's Joe and Jane public live in The Pale, where it hasn't actually been crappy at all. This morning for example is decently warm, a light breeze, and plenty of blue sky and light clouds.

I work right beside one of the tour bus stops, and my layman's measure of a day's weather how many tourists are on the open top - today is a full house day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

MJohnston wrote: »
    Except, by the laws of averages, a large proportion of Ireland's Joe and Jane public live in The Pale, where it hasn't actually been crappy at all. This morning for example is decently warm, a light breeze, and plenty of blue sky and light clouds.

And if you live outside The Pale you don't have a right to comment because you're nothing but a bog trotting troglodyte.

Seriously I am in Dublin 8 right now looking out the window at an overcast dark grey sky. I'd like to know where MJohnston's blue sky and light clouds are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Suns out here now after a damp morning :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Fine day here in Dublin 16. 20.1c atm with some good sunny spells.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Has brightened up nicely here in castlebar this afternoon, big improvement on the past few days. Mind you it's probably dark and gloomy in a certain town ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

No it's brightened up here too. It's sunny enough in and out at best. But it's not a lovely summers day it's unremarkable except it's a better than the previous 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

No it's brightened up here too. It's sunny enough in and out at best. But it's not a lovely summers day it's unremarkable except it's a better than the previous 2 days.

:confused:. 'Em every day since Tuesday it has been better than, yes even Thursday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

And another day where it looks like it will be dry in Dublin. I got home from Spain near 3 weeks ago and think at most there has been 4 days of rain, that's not bad tbh.

Emme wrote: »
    And if you live outside The Pale you don't have a right to comment because you're nothing but a bog trotting troglodyte.

Seriously I am in Dublin 8 right now looking out the window at an overcast dark grey sky. I'd like to know where MJohnston's blue sky and light clouds are.

Eh, not sure where you're getting that first bit from, unless you're just expressing your own opinion? Certainly isn't mine, I was just referring to what the 'average' opinion in Ireland might be about this summer.

As for the latter part, I'm in D2 right now, pretty sunny here!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

BabyE wrote: »
    And another day where it looks like it will be dry in Dublin. I got home from Spain near 3 weeks ago and think at most there has been 4 days of rain, that's not bad tbh.

But it rained earlier this morning??? It rained right across Dublin city and most of the county at around 5am, a bit more about 07:30 over most of the city and that continued on and off on most of the south side suburbs until about 09:30. Most certainly not a dry day in Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Any sign of a dry spell ?

highdef wrote: »
    But it rained earlier this morning??? It rained right across Dublin city and most of the county at around 5am, a bit more about 07:30 over most of the city and that continued on and off on most of the south side suburbs until about 09:30. Most certainly not a dry day in Dublin!

He's probably around my area, not a single drop of rain so far today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

km79 wrote: »
    Next year, fingers crossed. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Dry here in Sligo after some rain earlier

18c

Beats last years 14c EVERY day

Back to school week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

highdef wrote: »

It rained last night too, but different, summer type rain, it was really warm. I'm comparing it to miserable days where the rain is down for the day. It rained a few days in Malaga I was there for like 2 minutes, I wouldn't call them wet days.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Back to school week.

We are back Thursday :D
    I assume you mean next week though
    Always next week. The day after every tomorrow for the last week was looking dry too!
    Tonight could be VERY wet for a lot again
    Touch and go for us

We are back Thursday :D
    I assume you mean next week though
    Always next week. The day after every tomorrow for the last week was looking dry too!
    Tonight could be VERY wet for a lot again
    Touch and go for us

I'm back WEDNESDAY next week (31st) :D.

I'm back WEDNESDAY next week (31st) :D.

Get out

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Sitting out enjoying the sun.

• Advertisement

Yeah the rain tomorrow isn't looking as heavy as it originally was. However, I am still expecting a good dose of 10-20mm looking at the radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

BabyE wrote: »
    He's probably around my area, not a single drop of rain so far today.

What? I'm well inside the pale and this morning was dark and pissy. A typical winter lights on in the house morning. At best at least it was mild.

It's funny how you just can't get anywhere with damp and wet weather. When it's cold it feels more miserable than when it's warm BUT warm air can hold more moisture so the rain is heavier when it's warm.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    What? I'm well inside the pale and this morning was dark and pissy. A typical winter lights on in the house morning. At best at least it was mild.

I said that the summer 'in the Pale' hasn't been crappy. Today is a different matter, I'm sure there's as much variation in that area as in all of Ireland, although I suspect most of the rain was gone by 9-10am, and it's been a pretty lovely day since then.

I said that the summer 'in the Pale' hasn't been crappy. Today is a different matter, I'm sure there's as much variation in that area as in all of Ireland, although I suspect most of the rain was gone by 9-10am, and it's been a pretty lovely day since then.

Well one bad day or one bad month makes the month or season bad overall in many people's eyes which is just dumb.

Well one bad day or one bad month makes the month or season bad overall in people's eyes which is just dumb.

Actually, I'd be curious as to how people's opinions are influenced by the amount of good weather that falls on the weekend rather than workdays. I remember quite a few lovely weekdays followed by poor weekends this year. I suspect people's memories are influenced by the weather at the weekends more so!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,921 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Savage day here. Sat outside eating lunch and wearing shorts and a t shirt.

I have spent the previous 7 weeks working outdoors and we were only rained off once. Most of the rain had the good grace to wait until the evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

18.8C with a slight breeze in Castlebar , a very pleasant start to the week.

I suspect people's memories are influenced by the weather at the weekends more so!

Mine aren't for certain as I consider every day of the Summer from the bad to the good, from the boring to the average when doing a rating which gave me my 6/10 overall whether it's week days or weekend days.

See Spring this year for example. I was saying that it was very poor up to the beginning of May then when May finished, I considered it average overall instead of poor or great because May's great weather evened things out with March's cold nature and April's cold and wet nature here which gave the season 5/10 overall. Many people would consider it a beaut of a Spring with crazy ratings like 8-10/10 just because May was the latest month of the season and those with short term memory loss would consider that May made Spring good. Like if the great weather of May was in March or April and May was very poor, then it would be considered a **** Spring by the majority. I do not think so, I loved May alright, it was one of the best months in recent years but one month doesn't make a brilliant season.

Summer is kind of different as many people's ratings rely on July for the Summer to be good. If July is bad and the other two months are good then the majority consider it a **** Summer as we have seen in 2010 and 2016 (August is not even over yet, don't consider it yet even if the outlook is bad - give it a chance).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I heard a rain shower here in Dublin around 5.30am but it was dry when I woke up at 7 and has turned into a sunny breezy day. A nice day for working outside. So far I've only been affected by rain on Saturday (just light drizzle) and late Friday evening. Can't remember the previous time we had daytime rain - a Saturday in late June perhaps.

The weather is very varied across this country and even locally when it comes to rain showers. Everyone seems happy enough with the Summer here - kids not stuck inside and we've had around 6/7 beach days. It's fairly forgettable but by no means bad.

Advertisement