Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The rain over NI now is extremely severe. Such a wide area too. I will be surprised if there is not widespread flooding.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

think we may have escaped the worst of it here in the east. At one stage it was looking like we were gonna get close to 24 hours of rain. Perhaps it may build again later but for now the mid west, midlands and north is getting the most of it.

pauldry wrote: »
    Theyv got the weather completely wrong the past few weeks.

Even people at work with no interest in weather are saying it

They seriously need to do a review in order to go back to how good they used to be

Its virtually wrong every day now

Is it the thunder or moisture everywhere

MT, AccuWeather, YR, Met Office, all got it wrong too.

This is one of those rare situations where something completely unexpected happens. Their computerized forecasting systems obivously messed up somewhere. It happens.

Surprised they didn't pick it up sooner though.

I find Met Eireann good, but they do miss things (annoyongly). I find them the most accurate, even compared to the UKMO.

A few weeks ago I was standing in Tynemouth in the lashings of rain, while the Met Office was giving the chance of rain at that moment as 5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

km79 wrote: »

GFS did much better for the track than the euro models

http://imgur.com/a/zEbTf

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

1.2mm overnight, dry this morning, forecast pretty badly wrong here.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

From M.T
    TODAY ... Rain now moving slowly eastward in Leinster, central-eastern Ulster, and east Munster will gradually taper off to drizzle before ending, with perhaps 5-10 mm additional rain by mid-day; other regions will become partly cloudy and rather warm. Highs 17-21 C, warmer inland west.

Its absoutley lashing here in West Clare?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Despite being told the West and North would be dry it started raining here in Galway last night at around 10.30pm and it's still coming down, you only have to look at the farming forecast to see how wrong they got it, promised and nice weekend ahead now this morning it's going to be unsettled. Was talking to a farmer yesterday and he told me he has never seen the forecasts being so wrong as they are this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

In fairness, the farming forecast is forecasting over 5 days ahead, it's rarely going to be 100% or even near it tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Despite how bad it looked at around 11 last night we "only" seem to have got around 10mm
    The very very heaviest of it tracked east of us thankfully
    I reiterate the frustration of a few regarding the forecasting this summer . It's been more miss than hit
    Yr.no was almost spot on for here last night to be fair although rain arrived earlier than they predicted
    Midnight to 6am - 7to 11mm predicted was spot on
    6am to noon - 1 to 2.4mm predicted looks accurate as well
    They predicted the very heaviest rain to track over Athlone into Cavan (that's all I checked ) giving 18 to 22mm . I'd say that was fairly accurate

Met Eireann were still running with West doing the best out of it at 930pm . Rain arrived less than an hour later .
    Short range forecasts was running 2 hours behind and showing old data which reflected nothing like the real situation.
    Rainfall radar did not update at all at 1215am
    Overall they have been dreadful this summer
    Irish people ending up having to use a Canadian man on the Internet for their forecasts, a Norwegian website and the U.K. Met offices short range forecasts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

LEIN wrote: »
    In fairness, the farming forecast is forecasting over 5 days ahead, it's rarely going to be 100% or even near it tbh...

Granted forecasting is difficult over 5 days but Met Eireann have got it completely wrong over 1 day several times this July and August

Had to use car at weekend so wife n kids had to walk but Met Eireann predicted a mainly dry day for Sunday on Saturday morning

However it rained all day and family housebound

Things like that

The poor farmers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Got a nice sup of rain here last night and it's raining now
    So not completely wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Dry and overcast this morning and I have recorded only 0.7mm, this is very disappointing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

had some heavy rain here earlier but nothing like the rain we had over the weekend. The rest of the week is looking much dryer now thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Got 7.3mm from that overnight. Feeling notably cooler out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A dull but dry morning so far in Castlebar @14.4C, we have had over 320mm of rain this summer so far, just shy of what we had last year.

Rain not amounting to much in Dublin CC.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Ended up with 24mm in the manual gauge here near Tralee( from 21.00 ),oragraphic lift had a part to play I'm sure being in the Lee of the Sliadbh Mish mountains. Dry here since early morning.

Pleasant enough now with cloud and sunshine .

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭alentejo

Real Ireland Wales England divide regarding weather today.

Rain cleared with the heavier stuff around lunchtime.

alentejo wrote: »
    Real Ireland Wales England divide regarding weather today.

something were all too familiar with. Much of the UK is 25-30C over next few days with unbroken sunshine. The heat in the south-east of England stays right up to 8th September.

An improving situation here with temps in the low 20s from tomorrow to Saturday. Several warm days in the first week of September also however cooler conditions from the Atlantic will try and break into Ireland at times.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Gonzo wrote: »
    something were all too familiar with. Much of the UK is 25-30C over next few days with unbroken sunshine. The heat in the south-east of England stays right up to 8th September.

Lots of 30c's across the SE UK now/this afternoon.

Cloudy/gloomy here in Dublin 16. 17.2c atm. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

DOCARCH wrote: »

N raining heavy in sligo now 16c

Rain or showers n some sun every day until September 8th here would be my guess

At least after that it will be Autumn so we wont care if its raining every day

Does anyone know the record for most days rain in a row in a Summer n i mean even 0.5mm counting as a day of rain

I think some of the past few Summers must be close to 90percent of the days

DOCARCH wrote: »

The English, even Londoners always go on how they get a crap summer. They have no idea what a bad summer is till they come to Ireland or Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how accurate is sat24? is it real time pictures or is it just an animated prediction??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

It's real time.....well almost real time. There a few minutes delay for the latest satellite image

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Have the lights on in the house here now it's so dark. Getting too dark to read and it's not even half 6 on an August evening.

Overcast and dry day here at Grange after early morning drizzle. Pretty miserable day all in all but not the worst day ever by any means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Overcast and dry day here at Grange after early morning drizzle. Pretty miserable day all in all but not the worst day ever by any means.

Ok so imagine that for the majority of the summer Syran? What would you score summer then? That's what most of the country has had this year.

Ok so imagine that for the majority of the summer Syran? What would you score summer then? That's what most of the country has had this year.

A 5/10, overcast and dry YET mild (last year it was like 14c on these kind of days) is ok, certainly not pleasant by any means or horrible by any means, just ok (forget I said miserable). If it were wet throughout and cold then it would be like 2 or 3/10.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

sryanbruen wrote: »
    A 5/10, overcast and dry YET mild (last year it was like 14c on these kind of days) is ok, certainly not pleasant by any means or horrible by any means, just ok (forget I said miserable). If it were wet throughout and cold then it would be like 2 or 3/10.

That's what I scored it but surely ye pale dwellers can see how day after day of overcast muck gets a bit tired after 2 months?

Advertisement