Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

a sign the nights are getting longer.

As they have been since the end of June....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

sryanbruen wrote: »
    As they have been since the end of June....
    really?
    You know what I mean, it's only around this time of year that you can feel a chill in the mornings. Were you out at 8am this morning?

really?
    You know what I mean, it's only around this time of year that you can feel a chill in the mornings. Were you out at 8am this morning?

Yes, yes and no. I always wake up late in Summer haha because ya know, NO SCHOOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Nice few days here in Tipp. Sat and sun were both nice August days. This morning was extremely foggy and by extension dark at 6am. Cloudy this evening. Definitley doesn't define the summer though which has been dull and mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Yes, yes and no. I always wake up late in Summer haha because ya know, NO SCHOOL.

You must be back soon though.

Personally I'm looking forward to the foggy season (usually around October/November). I have a strange love of fog.

Can't wait to see the first frost too!

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »
    You must be back soon though.

Personally I'm looking forward to the foggy season (usually around October/November). I have a strange love of fog.

Can't wait to see the first frost too!

Yeah back to this day next week instead of Wednesday, another few extra days off! :p

I love the snowy season - of who knows when!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Gorgeous evening out,shorts and t shirt and a balmy 19.4c at near 8pm :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Gorgeous evening out,shorts and t shirt and a balmy 19.4c at near 8pm :)

same here, just after having a bbq. Will be having another tomorrow. May as well make use of what could be the last blast of warmth.

I think tomorrow could be much cloudier than today tho, will be raining in the far west tomorrow too.

I plan to wake early and stock up on Vitamin D for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

I'm with you on that, I love the eerie atmosphere it creates.

Unfortunately fog is very rare in my area. I'd say we've had more snow days than foggy days in the past 10 years.

• Advertisement

Rougies wrote: »
    I'm with you on that, I love the eerie atmosphere it creates.

Unfortunately fog is very rare in my area. I'd say we've had more snow days than foggy days in the past 10 years.

Fog is rare at my area but not as rare as snow and not like "very rare" standards either.

2011 may have been my foggiest year I ever recorded with over half the days of March 2011 having foggy mornings here which gave away to very sunny conditions after each morning.

I have recorded over 90 days of fog in the last 10 years, with more than 35% of them recorded in 2011. Whilst I have recorded around 40 days of snow in the last 10 years.

My area is in Dublin, so are you pretty sure about your theory? It's ok to say yes due to regional variations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

My area is in Dublin, so are you pretty sure about your theory? It's ok to say yes due to regional variations.

It's not a theory, just an observation from memory which is highly unscientific of course. I should have worded it differently to say "significant" or "memorable" fog vs. snow events.

But yes, regional variations may also play a factor as I'm at the foothills of the Dublin mountains. I've noticed a few occasions where it is clear here while Dublin Airport and/or Casement is reporting fog. Sometimes it can be clear here and will get foggy as I commute into the city center.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

There is a definite chill in the mornings, I'm up at 7 and it has a nip to it that hasn't been around for a few months. There's a reason the ancient Irish considered this time of year to be Autumn!

Padster90s wrote: »
    There is a definite chill in the mornings, I'm up at 7 and it has a nip to it that hasn't been around for a few months. There's a reason the ancient Irish considered this time of year to be Autumn!

No more so than May really, only thing I've noticed is that its less bright every morning, which signifies autumn.

Anyway the real autumnal weather will come the day before Autumn begins, Wednesday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Very humid morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Padster90s wrote: »

I'm up at 7 every morning and I don't remember a morning this "summer" that there hasn't been a nip. When I get off the train at Heuston at 8.45ish there has been a cold wind every morning this year. OK it hasn't been as harsh since April but the wind is still there. I wear a light down jacket to walk from the train station to work. Most other summers since 2012 haven't been as chilly and I was able to wear lighter jackets or sometimes none at all.
    On average the nip in the air never really went away this year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

disappointing today, totally cloudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 andrioolis

Sandyford - Sunny with some clouds coming from North
    Feels very worm

A big mix here with some blue sky moments and overcast moments.

No sun all morning in West Clare.

I also notice Met Eireann have changed the max temperatures from 24 possibly 25 down to 22 possibly 23.

Did they not see all this cloud coming?

• Advertisement

No sun all morning in West Clare.

I also notice Met Eireann have changed the max temperatures from 24 possibly 25 down to 22 possibly 23.

Did they not see all this cloud coming?

No but they should have and I have reached a max of 22.9c so far. ANOTHER 20c+ day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

max 22.3c and down to 21.7c at the moment.
    Thought it would have been warmer today but can't complain on the second last day of meteorological summer I s'pose.

max 22.3c and down to 21.7c at the moment.
    Thought it would have been warmer today but can't complain on the second last day of meteorological summer I s'pose.

A max of 23.6c today.

maxed out at 20C today during a 15 minute spell of sunshine. Most of the day has been 18-19C and cloudy. Very disappointing considering the forecast. The breeze also taking the edge of the temperatures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

A max of 21.9C so far today in Galway city :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It got up to 19.2C in Castlebar today but felt a lot colder in a moderate NNE breeze, I must say it was one of the darkest afternoons we have had this summer and rain has pushed in now in the last hour.

Xenji wrote: »
    It got up to 19.2C in Castlebar today but felt a lot colder in a moderate NNE breeze, I must say it was one of the darkest afternoons we have had this summer and rain has pushed in now in the last hour.

Thought we were in a southerly airflow?

Rain now in West Clare. Sunny for about 10minutes earlier.

I'm definitely in a southerly airflow but the wind was changing as the rain was pushing in to a more westerly airflow for tomorrow.

much cooler in places from tomorrow and over the weekend, more like 16 and 17C's instead of 19C+. A definite feel of autumn especially over the weekend.

next week looks warm again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Was sunny here all day, then around 6 the sky turned very dark, thought it was going to pour from the heavens, then the drizzle arrived. :rolleyes:

New Moon

Advertisement