Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2016

Options
1848586878890»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

OldRio wrote: »
    Poor summer in this part of the country.

Mild and wet.

As someone who works outside no doubt I'm incorrect because 'data' says other. :D

Does anyone ever take a moment to think why I said that the Summer was average in the West (or most places....)?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

OldRio wrote: »
    Poor summer in this part of the country.

Mild and wet.

As someone who works outside no doubt I'm incorrect because 'data' says other. :D

4/5 regular posters LIVING in the west have tried to get the point across that it has not been an average summer. Weeks without sunshine in a row in July and August. Did not have back to back dry days for the 2 months . But sure what do we know we only live here
    Good riddance to this "summer"

km79 wrote: »
    4/5 regular posters LIVING in the west have tried to get the point across that it has not been an average summer. Weeks without sunshine in a row in July and August. Did not have back to back dry days for the 2 months . But sure what do we know we only live here

IRELAND is not a country for sunshine. I expect like one very nice day each month but a heatwave or warm spell each Summer or wall to wall sunshine nearly every week - NO WAY.

Mother Nature though I know you're cruel anyway, don't mind these who don't know what Irish summers are like, you have done a good job this Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Speaking from a West Clare perspective, I find the summer was mild and dull. It was not a bad summer, it was not a good summer, it was an okay summer. It's amazing how many people around here seem to only remember the spectacular summer, and anything that doesn't match that is a terrible summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

km79 wrote: »

In fairness to sryan, "average" is a perfectly quantifiable term that can be statistically compared against current measurements. It's not really opinion based. There's an average measure of rain, sun, wind, temperature, and everything else for every part of Ireland, and this summer can be objectively compared to that average.

You're talking about your subjective feelings on that summer, which is unquantifiable.

So, you can both be right!

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    In fairness to sryan, "average" is a perfectly quantifiable term that can be statistically compared against current measurements. It's not really opinion based. There's an average measure of rain, sun, wind, temperature, and everything else for every part of Ireland, and this summer can be objectively compared to that average.

You're talking about your subjective feelings on that summer, which is unquantifiable.

So, you can both be right!

Yeah I am largely aware of that, I'm talking about fact about Irish summers that they are normally dull, cool or mild (very changeable but in recent times have been mostly mild) and rather wet which is what they have faced this year nearly everywhere, so I call it a typical Irish summer and not poor nor great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭OldRio

I work outside. I live outside. I live in the West. I'm fecking sick of people telling me about how my weather is. Why? Tis obvious.

OK.

Grange's Summer 2016 summary

Very warm, rather dry and dull.

Rainfall: Slightly drier than normal but still driest Summer in 10 years.
    My rainfall total of 183.5mm (98% of the LTA) was very slightly drier than normal but it was nevertheless, the driest Summer in 10 years here. In contrast to even being drier than normal, June and August were both wetter than normal with totals of 78.9mm (129% of the LTA) and 77.1mm (112% of the LTA) respectively. July meanwhile was quite dry with only 27.4mm (50% of the LTA). It was the wettest June since 2012, driest July since 2006 and whilst it was wetter than normal, it was still the driest August since 1995 in comparison to many recent wet Augusts. The total for the Summer was unremarkable as was the totals for the individual months with no month breaking records for rainfall. I recorded my highest daily fall of 24.6mm on August 20th which was a pretty average maximum daily rainfall, especially in comparison with many recent Summers' highest daily falls. I also recorded 22.4mm, just a few days back on August 17th and these two days alone gave brought more than half of August's rainfall total, so you can see now why it was still the driest August in 21 years. Overall, Summer 2016 will be very forgettable in terms of rainfall here. I recorded around 43 wet days (days with 0.1mm or more) which is very average also.

Temperature: Very warm, second warmest Summer in my records.
    I recorded a mean temperature of 15.9c (+2.2c above the LTA) and it was the second warmest Summer on record behind only 1995. June with a mean of 14.9c (+2.2c above the LTA) was my warmest June on record with the mean minimum temperature particularly record breaking. July with a mean of 16.4c (+1.8c above the LTA) was my equal-fourth warmest July on record with 1995 and only 2006, 2013 and 2014 warmer. August with a mean temperature of 16.3c (+2.5c above the LTA) was my third warmest August on record with only 1995 and 2003 warmer. The main thing about this Summer what made it so warm was the unusually frequent muggy nights and days with 20c or more. I recorded a total of 44 days this Summer with 20c or more. I have only ever beaten that much in 1995. The minimum temperatures were even higher than those in 1995 though, so it was my warmest Summer on record for minimum temperatures with the nights of July 18/19 being very warm. A minimum of 19.8c on 19 July was my third highest minimum ever recorded. My maximum this Summer of 28.6c on the same day was my ninth warmest day ever recorded and it continues the pattern of 19 July being a very warm day (19 July 2006 recorded over 30c here, 19 July 2013 recorded over 28c here). June 16th was the only day below 15c during this Summer with a max of 13.9c on this day in contrast to 2015 which had plenty of such days. So Summer 2016 will be remembered as a very humid and warm Summer here.

Sunshine: Rather dull, but quite average much like 2015.
    I recorded a sunshine total of 465 hours (98% of the LTA) which was slightly below normal but much like 2015, it was rather average and unremarkable. June was rather dull with 160 hours (90% of the LTA) and was the dullest June since 2012 but quite unremarkable. July was also rather dull with 150 hours (91% of the LTA) but it was still quite average as there have been some great contrasts with sunshine in July in recent years (i.e. 2013 and 2014 very sunny whilst 2015 exceptionally dull), so nothing much to say about this. August was rather sunny with 155 hours (117% of the LTA) and was my sunniest August since 2010. August would have been quite dull if it were not for its very sunny second half here. But sunshine wasn't anything to ride home about Summer 2016 as it was unremarkable and there have been a lot duller yet a lot sunnier than it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

My in-depth review of this summer for my part of the west:

June: ****e
    July: Pure ****e
    August: More ****e

I have already given details and posted stats in earlier posts as to why this summer was garbage, but I'll not waste my time doing that again. Nor shall I be told how I should experience the weather I get by people who do not even live here because one or two selective stats imply that it was 'average'.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Over 350mm of rain this summer in Castlebar, that makes over 700mm of rain in our last two summers combined.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

GOING FORWARD KEEP IT ON TOPIC , Sryanbruen everyone is entitled to their own opinion or viewpoint , please respect this

If you have reported a post please allow some time for a mod to view it and don't get involved in silly arguments , we are volunteers and not always readily available but it will be dealt with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Had a decent summer here in Kilkenny on the higher ground.

Mean temperature for the past three months on average: 14.6C
    Highest temperature: 27.8C
    Lowest temperature: 6.5C
    Rainfall for the three months: 155.8mm
    Days with 2.0mm or more rainfall: 28 days out of 92 days.

Xenji wrote: »
    Over 350mm of rain this summer in Castlebar, that makes over 700mm of rain in our last two summers combined.

My combined for the summers of 2015 and 2016 is 344mm.

Big differences in our small country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Its the same argument year in year out.

People need to remember that 'on average' 90% of the country geographically will have a pretty lousy depressing Summer.....However! 50% of the population live in the remaining 10% of the country that 'on average' gets a half decent Summer most years. Better weather is one of the historical reasons why 50% of the population live on the East Coast.

Are those living west of the Wicklow/Dublin mountains wrong to say Summers are nearly always terrible in Ireland when the weather is indeed invariably terrible for 90% of the island?
    Are those living East of the Wicklow/Dublin mountains wrong to say Summers are nearly always decent enough in Ireland when the weather is indeed usually decent enough for 50% of the population of the country?

Both and Neither IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Those last couple of weeks of August have bumped my summer rating up to 7/10 tbh. Generally enjoyed the weather this year, aside from the miserable winter months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Galway City Weather: Summary for Summer 2016
    01/06/2016 to 31/08/2016

Temperature:
    Mean (1 minute) 15.6°C
    Mean (min+max) 15.9°C
    Mean Minimum 12.9°C
    Mean Maximum 18.9°C
    Minimum 9.1°C on 03/06/2016
    Maximum 28.7°C on 19/07/2016
    Highest Minimum 16.4°C on 07/06/2016
    Lowest Maximum 15.3°C on 01/07/2016
    Air frosts 0

Rainfall:
    Total for period 287.8mm
    Wettest day 29.8mm on 17/08/2016
    High rain rate 88.6mm day 07/08/2016
    Rain days 62
    Dry days 30

Wind:
    Highest Gust 37.0mph on 03/08/2016
    Average Speed 4.9mph
    Wind Run 10815.6 miles
    Gale days 0

Pressure:
    Maximum 1031.60hPa on 09/08/2016
    Minimum 980.36hPa on 20/08/2016

Total hours of sunshine 380.2

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Final stats for Summer 2016, for Dublin 16.

Temp:
    June 15.3c July 17.2c August 16.5c Mean 16.3c

Rain:
    June 95.2mm July 34.8mm August 62.0mm Total 192.0mm

Rain Days:
    June 19 July 20 August 18 Total 57

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Final stats for Summer 2016, for Dublin 16.

Temp:
    June 15.3c July 17.2c August 16.5c Mean 16.3c

Rain:
    June 95.2mm July 34.8mm August 62.0mm Total 192.0mm

Rain Days:
    June 19 July 20 August 18 Total 57

How does this compare to the last few summers?

The Met Eireann Summary for Summer 2016 is now available:
    • Temperature: mild in nearly all places
    • Rainfall: majority of places slightly wetter than normal
    • Sunshine: lower sunshine than spring 2016
    • Wind: gale force winds only reported in August

http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/seas1.pdf

Lumi wrote: »

http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/seas1.pdf
    LTA rainfall values ranged from 72% at Carlow(Oak Park) with the summer’s lowest rainfall total of 137.7 mm, its driest summer in nine years to 129% at Mullingar,
    Co Westmeath with 299.0 mm.

The last few summers have been relatively drier than average in the south east.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Lumi wrote: »
    I'm not sure what "mild" means? A winter can be described as mild but even a poor summer could be described as "mild"
    Isn't every summer mild? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'm not sure what "mild" means? A winter can be described as mild but even a poor summer could be described as "mild"

Its a relative term. Mild is never a set figure.

This summer was mild as temperatures were above 20c many days.

That's an interesting question Elmer B. I suppose given that summer temps were slightly above the LTA in most stations they mean "mild" in a literal sense i.e. moderate, pleasant, not extreme etc.

Advertisement