Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm self install advice

Options
  • 12-05-2016 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭

Looking to self install an alarm system (non monitoring) in a two story apartment. Looks like all the wiring is there, apart from an external wire for a bell box, at least I haven't found it yet :(

Can anybody make a suggestion as to a specific alarm system which will be easy enough to install. I will be looking for at least 6 zones with a mix of PR's and combo shock/contact sensors. I would be purchasing from a Leixlip/Lucan electrical supplier if that is of any significance. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Siemens SPC 4320 would be a good choice IMO. Easily programmable from a built in web browser. Free email alerts, free network fail (poll fail) notifications, free remote access via app & web browser & free apps to any number of devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Finally got around to buzzing out the wiring and am left with two wires (all are 6 core) that I cannot find the other end of :(

I have wires for 1 X exit/entry, 1 X SAB, 1 X keypad (brown wires) and all perimiters covered (white wires).

I have one brown and one white wire unaccounted for.

I'm guessing one missing wire if for panic alarm but no termination evident in the master bedroom. There is a small hole in the wall about waist height, so if might have been there but fallen through.

I used a multimeter to trace all the other wires (pair twist on one end).

Any tips/suggestions for tracing the wayward wires? Thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Possibly spare in the attic or maybe for a phone connection.
    An oscillator would be your best bet after that.
    701k-g.jpg

I have six core wiring on the property. Is there a general colour code that is used?

I'm thinking:
    red/black - aux power, green/yellow - contacts, blue/white - tamper

Just wondering if there is a rule of thumb? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

degsie wrote: »
    I have six core wiring on the property. Is there a general colour code that is used?

I'm thinking:

No rule of thumb, just a preference for each installer.

• Advertisement

More questions, sorry. Is it always necessary to fit a fused connection unit when wiring a control panel to a consumer unit? If so is 3A acceptable?
    Also what rating MCB is generally used in the CU, 6A I'm guessing? Thanks.

I'm thinking:

Industry norm for DC power would be Red + Black -
    More questions, sorry. Is it always necessary to fit a fused connection unit when wiring a control panel to a consumer unit? If so is 3A acceptable?

3 amp is fine . 6 or 10 amp from the consumer unit is fine.
    Remember you must use q registered electrician to connect to the consumer unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Providing the switch is dedicated to the alarm then you are not required to fit a fused spur.
    6A is usually the norm in this case.

Need an opinion please. Going to fit a second keypad in two story duplex appt upper (2 bedroom) floor. Should I fit in hallway or master bedroom? Hallway is covered with pir sensor and bathroom is separate from bedrooms on same floor. Thanks.

Bedroom would be the better option for a couple of reasons.
    In the event of an activation you can see whats activated the system without leaving the room.You would also have the option of full setting the system from inside the room and leave the PiR on if you wanted extra protection.
    The keypad would also give you a built in panic button. Better to have that in the bedroom if its needed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement