Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Puppy eating Poo!

• 12-05-2016 6:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Right, I've had enough .... Puppy 8 months old ... still eating poo!

Any ideas on how to stop it?

The dog (Malteese ****zu) ...

His feed is puppy nuts (good quality)
    Gets (when available) leftovers with nuts
    No crap food (tinned etc)

I am still catching him eating his own sh*te!
    Yard is cleaned every morning!

He brought some into the kitchen this evening ... last straw!

Help!
    Keith.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Just out of curiosity, as I've had this issue come up with customers at work, what brand of dry food is he on?
    It's a tough habit to break if it's just habit but a lot of the time I've found its the food not agreeing within them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Just out of curiosity, as I've had this issue come up with customers at work, what brand of dry food is he on?
    It's a tough habit to break if it's just habit but a lot of the time I've found its the food not agreeing within them

He is on Burns Puppy Original ... His 3rd type that he has tried. He is a bit of a picker alright ... Mix in leftovers from time to time

Y'know it's funny, this is the 3rd case I've heard of a burns fed pup being a poo eater..and I read something recently about burns changing the recipe to include less meat and more rice. Might just be a coincidence though! Did he eat it when he was other brands of food too?

Y'know it's funny, this is the 3rd case I've heard of a burns fed pup being a poo eater..and I read something recently about burns changing the recipe to include less meat and more rice. Might just be a coincidence though! Did he eat it when he was other brands of food too?

Thanks for the replies sillymango!

The odd time but defo not as much.
    He was on a food from vets ... Purple pack €20 a bag (can't remember name) - but Petmania don't sell it and vet is awkward to get to.
    He doesn't exactly lash it down ... Just picks it. Tried gravy on top nah

Can you recommend another food ... Gain?

Will dump the Burns (excuse the pun)

Oh rang the vet ... Advised a bit of pineapple :)
    It puts a smell in the poo that they don't like apparently

I've heard pineapple is meant to be good... providing the dog doesn't like pineapple! You can also get tablets to help stop the problem but don't know how effective it is. Gain elite would be a good one to try (I'd imagine you'd want to go for the small dog puppy version), others in the gain range wouldn't be great. Or else you could go for a higher meat content food, something like taste of the wild would be a good one to try since you said you go to pet mania. As far as I know they sell it. Added bonus - high meat content foods = less needs to be fed = less poop for the pup to chow down on!
    Foods can often be gotten cheaper if bought online too, check out zooplus.ie :)

• Advertisement

I've heard pineapple is meant to be good... providing the dog doesn't like pineapple! You can also get tablets to help stop the problem but don't know how effective it is. Gain elite would be a good one to try (I'd imagine you'd want to go for the small dog puppy version), others in the gain range wouldn't be great. Or else you could go for a higher meat content food, something like taste of the wild would be a good one to try since you said you go to pet mania. As far as I know they sell it. Added bonus - high meat content foods = less needs to be fed = less poop for the pup to chow down on!
    Foods can often be gotten cheaper if bought online too, check out zooplus.ie :)

Have a zoo plus near me too :)

Will pay them a visit tomorrow... Will picking up a tin of pineapple too :) Might as well go for the Del Monte :)

Needless to say he won't be licking anybody's face til this is sorted!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Zooplus is an online shop OP, you might be confusing it with MaxiZoo? The later is a bricks-and-mortar shop :)
    There has been research done on the efficacy of pineapple in sorting out this problem, and in fact, it is highly unlikely to work. It is a persistent piece of advice given to owners of poop-eating dogs, but I wouldn't be pinning too much on it! Moreover, if you give your pup too much pineapple, you're likely to have a whole other problem to deal with... diarrhoea! Dogs generally won't eat diarrhoea so might appear to be cured when they're not!

Anyway, the term for poop-eating is called coprophagia... if you stick that word onto a forum search you'll find lots of threads on it. This one caught my eye, for reasons you will see when you read it!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057196594

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bluejelly

Hi, one of my dogs (almost 2yrs) still eats other dogs poo! She is fed on gain elite large breed, I did try other brands with no luck. It's funny tho in that she doesn't eat poo from dogs she knows well. Maybe she is lacking in taste buds as my other dog has to sniff and feel any kind of new food for a bit before deciding if she likes it or not while the other one gobbles everything down......polar opposites!! I hope the pineapple works for you :0)

DBB wrote: »
    Zooplus is an online shop OP, you might be confusing it with MaxiZoo? The later is a bricks-and-mortar shop :)
    There has been research done on the efficacy of pineapple in sorting out this problem, and in fact, it is highly unlikely to work. It is a persistent piece of advice given to owners of poop-eating dogs, but I wouldn't be pinning too much on it! Moreover, if you give your pup too much pineapple, you're likely to have a whole other problem to deal with... diarrhoea! Dogs generally won't eat diarrhoea so might appear to be cured when they're not!

Anyway, the term for poop-eating is called coprophagia... if you stick that word onto a forum search you'll find lots of threads on it. This one caught my eye, for reasons you will see when you read it!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057196594

MaxiZoo? I was indeed. Will check out Zooplus once I find one he won't "after munch"

Great thread link ... Burns again?!

Also someone mention could have been a habit brought on by boredom when with breeder. Come to think of it ... He was kept alone in a small shed when I viewed him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

keith_d99 wrote: »
    MaxiZoo? I was indeed. Will check out Zooplus once I find one he won't "after munch"

Great thread link ... Burns again?!

Also someone mention could have been a habit brought on by boredom when with breeder. Come to think of it ... He was kept alone in a small shed when I viewed him.

Op take a look at the taste of the wild on zoo plus it's great quality and grain free too.

Unfortunately op I think you mentioned he's a cross between a Maltese / ****zu .. Most likely a puppy farmer hence the reason when u saw him he was alone in a shed :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

In the last few days Lucy has picked up a poo, went to eat where it was the next day and Bailey almost picked one up yesterday :eek: They both stopped the second we screamed in disgust lol.. All on the same route on our evening walk and they've never done it before! If only people would clean up after their dogs!

Advertisement