Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you hard on yourself or kind to yourself?

• 12-05-2016 7:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭

Do you give yourself a hard time or are you nice to yourself? A lot of people seem to beat themselves up over every little thing but recently I've started being kind to myself and giving myself a pat on the back occasionally even for small stuff.

It's actually made a big difference, it's improved my self esteem and confidence no end and as well as not being hard on myself I've found I'm generally a nicer person to be around as I come across as stressed out a lot less.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I think many people wouldn't know how to answer such a question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭wally1990

thelad95 wrote: »
    Do you give yourself a hard time or are you nice to yourself? A lot of people seem to beat themselves up over every little thing but recently I've started being kind to myself and giving myself a pat on the back occasionally even for small stuff.

It's actually made a big difference, it's improved my self esteem and confidence no end and as well as not being hard on myself I've found I'm generally a nicer person to be around as I come across as stressed out a lot less.

Beat myself up over studying and exams and hate myself afterwards thinking I did terrible or didn't out enough effort it

As for everything else... I don't beat myself up over anything

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

This made me smile. Being nice to myself sounds like a really good idea. I'm probably hard on myself but after reading this I'm gonna try and be nicer - starting right now!

Thanks, you should pat yourself on the back for making me a better person :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

What, like in a David Carradine way or Buddha way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I'm amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I love myself.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Pretty hard on myself. Always looking to do more. It's a double edged sword.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Hard, deservedly because I'm an asshole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Hard on

/giggles like a schoolgirl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

wally1990 wrote: »
    Beat myself up over studying and exams and hate myself afterwards thinking I did terrible or didn't out enough effort it

I was the same all through college. For essay's I would literally leave everything till a day or two before and put myself under immense pressure and pull all nighters to meet the deadline and once it was handed in I would be convinced I had done terrible and that next time would be different and I'd start the whole process as soon as I got the assignment. Come next assignment and I would repeat the whole process over again. Same thing for exams, spend the week beforehand pricking about at anything that wasn't related to the course and then the day before/morning of an exam cramming and berating myself for not starting sooner. Did ok though as I was constantly hovering around a first.

In general I'd be my own worst critic and fairly harsh on myself over almost everything. Anytime I have to write reports I'd always be second guessing it and restarting certain that it wasn't good enough until I had no choice but to turn it in. I'm even the same with conversations, constantly going over them after they have happened and scrutinising them. I am trying to change it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

My left hand is very nice to me…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I have to be overly critical with myself, or I'd never get anything done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Hard...I whip myself with fresh birch branches daily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I'm possibly normal.(:pac: )..but when deos being kind to yourself lapse over into lying to yourself??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I put the lotion in the basket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

There's a wonderful meditation practice called Loving Kindness that can be used to develop a strong sense of self-compassion. It's useful if you have a tendency to self-criticise or be hard on yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

There's a wonderful meditation practice called Loving Kindness that can be used to develop a strong sense of self-compassion. It's useful if you have a tendency to self-criticise or be hard on yourself.

How does that work
    (Being genuine here)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

How does that work
    (Being genuine here)

Rather than try and explain it in detail I'll just post a link.

https://jackkornfield.com/meditation-lovingkindness/

There's also a large number of video and audio resources that you can use if you're a fan of guided meditations. Insight Timer is an excellent app that I use daily.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I tend to be hard on myself but am slowly learning to be kinder to myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Sometimes I'm kind to myself and give the girl a little extra to be very hard on me indeed... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

My counsellor says I'm extremely hard on myself, I think I'm nowhere near hard enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I used to be extremely hard on and unkind to myself. Then a kind therapist (I'm an American; of course I saw a therapist lol) managed to get it through to me that my overbearing father had been dead for almost 10 years and I did not need to continue his abuse. It honestly had not occurred to me that was what I was doing, but it was. I had been stretching every nerve to "prove" him to be the big always-right adult and me the small, bad, unworthy thing deserving of constant criticism.

Now I'm only slightly overly hard on myself. I'm figuring it out.

EFT "tapping" is a free and effective self-help modality that works in at least part because of the small buried crushed part of you that still loves and wants to care for you. I have other, less fluffy ideas about why it works, but it does work. Check it out online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

You do the best you can to match your answer to what you know about reality (and I do mean KNOW, as in something you have examined and evaluated for yourself, not "know" because you got it secondhand from someone who swore it was The Truth).

Advertisement