Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Level of certification required for urban side extension

• 12-05-2016 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Got no response piggybacking an existing thread - so hoping reposting here might get a better response...

I am trying to get an understanding of what will be required in relation to a side extension build (2 storey - likely >40sqm).
    I understand the project will need planning permission due to exceeeding size limitation and also being road facing.

I have spoken to 2 architects and prices quoted by both are way more than we anticipated. However I'm surprised that there are substantial fees included by one for BCMS work - on the basis this is compulsory, whereas the other has no BCMS mention and relatively modest inspection/certification fees...

Am I correct in thinking we can opt in/opt out of BCMS?
    What are the implications of opting out of BCMS (apart from making mortgage/lending more problematic)?
    What is the difference in the service that can be offered by an architect and an architect technician - I believe the technician can't sign off, but it seems that even architects would need to refer most BCMS certs to an engineer for sign off - so little difference there?

If opt in/opt out is optional - is there a standard option generally chosen by homeowners for extensions?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It's up to you as the home owner to decide what level to go for.
    Will the extra services of assigned Certifier benefit you have n the l My term with regards to future sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

As KC says, its your call.

Three ideas occur
    Billing gekauft ist zweimal gekauft
    You don't get what you don't pay for.
    Invest less, get less.

re this
    I have spoken to 2 architects and prices quoted by both are way more than we anticipated.
    what were your expectations based on?.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭patg

Kceire/Calahonda - thanks for your replies.

Calahonda - my expectation was based on assumption admittedly - but had made estimates based on what friends had paid for jobs elsewhere (nowhere local though hence can't engage their architect/engineer) and also as a ballpark based off what I'm expecting the actual build to cost.

Otherwise - your points are broadly the same - in that there is more provided by going for full certification...

I had no idea about the levels of certification until starting this project so still trying to get an understanding of this whole area. I'd still appreciate if you could advise:
    - how does the full level of certification benefit me as a propertyowner. It seems BCMS certification is NOT obligatory - correct?
    - So if BCMS certification is not pursued, and other standard certifications are obtained - these must still serve a purpose??
    -Kceire - in the medium term we would plan on selling up and moving on, but wouldn't the standard certs suffice?

- Also, still trying to understand the difference in service provided by Architect/architect technician/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

patg wrote: »
    - how does the full level of certification benefit me as a propertyowner. It seems BCMS certification is NOT obligatory - correct?
    Not mandatory in your case - it is in many others. The benefits to the property owner are fairly intangible -
    a. You may have a greater degree of confidence that tighter supervision was applied during construction, but then if you trust your professional and your builder that may not be something that affects you.
    b. It may ease a future sale by providing a similar type of confidence to prospective purchasers.
    - So if BCMS certification is not pursued, and other standard certifications are obtained - these must still serve a purpose??
    The purpose they have developed to serve is to allow conveyancing of property and for mortgage sign-offs. This is the way the system had developed until the BC(A)Rs stuff came along - nobody went looking for, or got certificates unless they needed them for a bank or solicitor. This meant the certificates evolved to serve a specific type of purpose and not necessarily relate to the quality/accuracy of construction.

-Kceire - in the medium term we would plan on selling up and moving on, but wouldn't the standard certs suffice?
    Yes, almost certainly they would suffice. But if you were a purchaser and you had two identical properties next door to one another - one with BC(A)Rs certification and one without - would you pay a little extra for the better certified option or a little less for the less certified one? The market doesn't know the answer to this question yet - we are all waiting to see! So you have to make your mind up yourself - pay your money and take your chances!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Am I correct in thinking we can opt in/opt out of BCMS?

yes you are correct

What are the implications of opting out of BCMS (apart from making mortgage/lending more problematic)?.

currently... none. shown by the fact that houses are currently been sold with NO certification.
    The market will determine the value in the future.
    Will 'opt out' houses with bank certification be worth less than 'opt in' houses??? The BER scheme hasnt seemed to be the intrusive factor they hoped it would be.
    What is the difference in the service that can be offered by an architect and an architect technician - I believe the technician can't sign off, but it seems that even architects would need to refer most BCMS certs to an engineer for sign off - so little difference there?

as a technician i would say that at domestic level theres pretty much no difference. some architects are very design orientated and not very technically orientated, some technicians are very technical orientated and not very design orientated... and there are many of each who are a good mix of both.
    MCIAT technicians can sign off for most banks.

also, you are correct.... an architect or technician shouldnt be signing off structural elements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 SavvyGuy

Sorry for piggy backing, I can't seem to start new thread.

I built a approx 20m2 dinning room extension to the rear of our house in Dublin around 14 years ago. I was under the the impression that anything built to the rear of your property and under 40m2 is classed as an exempted development,

It was built to current building regulations at the time, I don't have drawing for the extension. It was my Architects last job before he retired and I think he is now deceased. I am thinking of selling later this year. Do I have any cause for concern? do I need as built drawings?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

SavvyGuy wrote: »
    Sorry for piggy backing, I can't seem to start new thread.

I built a approx 20m2 dinning room extension to the rear of our house in Dublin around 14 years ago. I was under the the impression that anything built to the rear of your property and under 40m2 is classed as an exempted development,

It was built to current building regulations at the time, I don't have drawing for the extension. It was my Architects last job before he retired and I think he is now deceased. I am thinking of selling later this year. Do I have any cause for concern? do I need as built drawings?

No, but you will most definitely need a certificate of exemption from planning for the sale to go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The other issue here with extensions is if opes were created with steel beams/ or and other lintels inserted and encased, you may get grief from a buyer to have the beam/lintel work certified

This requires visual inspection of each bearing and verifying the beam size so it will require a bit of " making good" after the inspection!
    Nobody will sign off without a visual inspection of the inners so don't even go there.

The engineers cert will set u back maybe 700 or 800 lids but its better have it sorted now rather than have a deal in the works with mad panic all round.

It may not arise if the new owners will do serious renovations but .....

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SavvyGuy

kceire wrote: »
    No, but you will most definitely need a certificate of exemption from planning for the sale to go through.
    Thank you very much for the reply.

Advertisement