Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renting in dublin advice

Options
  • 12-05-2016 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

im 25 and still living with parents i earn just over 600 a week and im thinking of renting a place on my own with a budget of up to 1000 a month is it worth it and what is required before moving in is it your first months rent + security deposit ??? and how much would the deposit be
    any advice would be appreciated thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Stay at home and save towards a deposit and buy somewhere.

If you must move out, get a house share.

If you want your own place and €1000 a month is the budget you'll be looking in the Wexford/Louth directions with the crazy rents at the moment.

If living at home is convienent for work stay put. That 1000 a month you will be paying in rent will be infinitely better going in a savings account each month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

If you must move out, get a house share.

If you want your own place and €1000 a month is the budget you'll be looking in the Wexford/Louth directions with the crazy rents at the moment.

I agree with this. I'm all for independence in your 20's so if you want to move out, get a house/apartment share.

Try to share with someone from the country who is likely to go home at the weekends, and that way you'll have the place to yourself sometimes.

Also, not all house shares are equal, theres a world of difference between 5 students sharing a house and 2 professions sharing a nice apartment.

This could allow you to save maybe €400 a month versus renting alone, and still have a nice lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Is that 600 net? If so, you're coming home with €2,600 a month. You'll get a very decent houseshare for around €600p/m. You still have plenty of scope to save a decent amount each month there, but you'll get to go out and enjoy your 20s independently of your parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Ii'll dissent and say I make €2400 a month after tax(so close to you) and I have no problem paying €1000 rent on my own place in the city centre and also saving, on average from looking at my account just now, €600 a month. So you can do it if you really want to and don't have any big outgoings like a car or something.

By the way, since no one answered your question, you will need months rent, and the deposit will be another month's rent amount. Also bear in mind you may need to spend money furnishing the place, and you should get contents insurance(that was a €150 annual lump sum for me).

• Advertisement

but you'll get to go out and enjoy your 20s independently of your parents.

In fairness depends on the parents but living at home had no effect on me enjoying myself and that was all through undergrad also. I only moved out due work being too far from home. I wouldn't hesitate in saying that living at home would have been much preferred than paying houseshare level rent (which is/was much less than 600 euro a month), even aside from rent I preferred living at home. Of course the OP may not be happy living at home which would make things different.
    MrMorooka wrote: »
    Ii'll dissent and say I make €2400 a month after tax(so close to you) and I have no problem paying €1000 rent on my own place in the city centre and also saving, .

There would be a significant difference in the amount saved though. Saving 500 while renting could be saving 1500 living at home if its an option.

In fairness depends on the parents but living at home had no effect on me enjoying myself and that was all through undergrad also.

Depends on the person. I get on well enough with my parents but I can't stand living with them. I eat better now I can experiment in the kitchen without comments being passed, I enjoy cleaning on my own schedule rather than being nagged about it, etc. Life is just much more relaxed not having to deal with other people in the home.

There would be a significant difference in the amount saved though. Saving 500 while renting could be saving 1500 living at home if its an option.

Sure, but depends if you actually care about buying a place in the immediate future. I save a lot but I don't have any concrete plan for the money saved, it's just there for peace of mind. Might be a deposit some day, but that will be a decade or more away from being enough as a single applicant.

If your goal is to definitely buy a place, sure, live at home and save as much as you can as quick as you can. But for me I am just living my life the way that's most comfortable and saving whatever I can as I go along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

@Noxx - I think we all know by this point that you're a firm believer in the following;

-rent being dead money
    -living at home with your parents for as long as possible.

No one is going to tell you to do otherwise, as I get the impression that you can't be moved on that one.

However, not everyone feels the same. For me, and many others like me, the value you get from renting is independence, and thats priceless.

I think its a fairly obvious statement that if you rent then obviously you can't save that money, but so what? We could all choose to live like hermits and save even more money, but why do that to yourself?

I moved out at 22 once I was finished college, and havent looked back. For the record, my parents are the best people in the world, but that doesnt mean that I, as an adult, should be living with them. Not only did I crave my Independence, but I also feel that they deserved their house back.

IMO, you don't know who you really are until you've stood on your own two feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Can be done , yes the rental market is tough but if you look hard and compromise you'll get somewhere for 900 or so a month, not city centre and not paradise but your own space...

I also moved out when I was 18 and had a job , again like others home was fine but I wanted to stand on my own two feet and do my own thing. I did house share for a good while and it has its ups and downs , plenty of arguements over cleaning , girlfriends staying over , bills being late etc etc but that's part of the package. Again it's the middle ground , it'll cost you less , you gain some independance and can save more but it's a lottery depending on who you end up living with.

For others , they'd rather pay more and have completely their own space... I have a LTG and child living with me now but if I was single I'd be renting on my own regardless of cost if I could at all afford it, coming home to a clean house and being able to relax and not worry about other people would be priceless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In your 20's - houseshare for a bit.

You'll learn a lot about yourself and about other people. Make some enemies, and maybe some friends. See different ways of living etc. Good for you, and good for your bank balance.

Leave living alone until you're older and wiser, and have more of a safety net saved.

In terms of cash, you should expect two months deposit and one month rent in advance. Some won't look for the two months deposit, but some will.

You should also have enough savings to cover your living costs for up to 13 weeks if you get sick and cannot work (because it can take that long for social welfare to start paying you).

You should also have enough savings to cover your living costs for up to 13 weeks if you get sick and cannot work

If he doesn't get sick leave from work. Not saying not to have a savings safely net anyway but should check his sick leave policy before getting in any panic about it.

Advertisement