Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moped/scooter shop

Options
  • 12-05-2016 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for advice from someone who has done this or knows about it. I've been buying and selling scooters and mopeds for few years now as a hobby, started off small but it's growing and I'm hoping to finally make a small business from it, I would ideally like advice on what to do next. I'm not sure where to even start. Or even who to talk to about it. In my head I have it as somewhere to buy new and used mopeds/scooters and to service them also. Anyone know who to approach about a dealership deal or how does it work. Thanks in advance for any advice. I probably haven't even worded I right here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

I know nothing about the business but fondly remember Gem motorcycles in Ranelagh with all the mopeds and Honda 50's outside.

I do reckon its a good idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I'd start by looking at your potential market. Ireland, from casual observation from driving, does not have a huge bike market. I'm a car guy but do have a casual interest in biking. I may pass one or two a day on the M50 and I know no one who owns or actively uses a scooter. The biggest barrier, I feel, is the weather.

I know you have made small business from it, but I'd question how far you can grow it. The only bike shop I know of is in Dublin City Centre and if you are servicing scooters, thats were you're going to have to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Was told that Gem Motorcycles still exist - but as a repair workshop in Donnybrook

http://www.gemmotorcycleworkshop.com/

I'd pop into these guys and ask their advice - if you proceed, then come to arrangement with them to be your repair & service agents for stuff other than the basic servicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭touchwood

Thanks guys some good advice, I have had people cone from as far as galway to buy from me,I'm situated in north wicklow/ south Dublin and a lot of my sales come from students for college etc or driving to luas park and ride. It's amazing how many scooters/mopeds you notice around when your looking for them. The nearest shop to me would be rathfarnham. I'm going to do a bit more research based on what ye have said. Thanks again. Anymore advice or opinions are more than welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lateriser

You would be best to approach fast food outlets.Sell, service and lease bikes to them.Start with small outlets and then move on to bigger firms Domino's.Get a large van,spend money on good signage on sides maybe large pictures of scooters.Once you open a retail shop you get all the costs that go with it including a staff member.
    Good luck .

• Advertisement

You would be best to approach fast food outlets.Sell, service and lease bikes to them.Start with small outlets and then move on to bigger firms Domino's.Get a large van,spend money on good signage on sides maybe large pictures of scooters.Once you open a retail shop you get all the costs that go with it including a staff member.
    Good luck .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

lateriser wrote: »
    You would be best to approach fast food outlets.Sell, service and lease bikes to them.Start with small outlets and then move on to bigger firms Domino's.

Small outlets do not buy/lease delivery vehicles, they outsource deliveries, usually to people who violate the law in doing so.Big firms do not buy from start-ups.

@OP - Do you want to start a business or have a hobby? I think the model you outline does not have a big future as a business. Not saying it won’t work, but sticking (or limiting) yourself to selling scooters/mopeds is confining you to very niche market and thereby limited income/growth potential. What about bikes, or more importantly, after sales service? Would you buy a car/bike/lawnmower from a shop that would not do a service? I certainly would not. Also, a guy that services a machine knows its history, knows how well it works, instils confidence and can speak confidently about the product when selling it!

Simply selling a ‘machine’ will give you a profit, but it is sporadic; to develop a business it is much better in the long-term to have the cash flow / steady income stream from a servicing activity that pays the monthly rent for premises. Can you do servicing yourself?

Selling and servicing are two very different activities and markets. I think that a sales only operation does not have longterm potential. I would ‘grow’ into the sales side, starting with second-hand, build a name for being good at servicing, develop a database of bikes/owners and if you get a hint that someone is looking for an X or trading up to a Y, you make a call and broker the deal. Carrying stock (new stock in particular) is a mugs game at your level. For the more expensive models you also need a finance provider to do HP or personal loans (which also brings its own CBI financial intermediary issues).

You need to do more homework.

Thanks for the advice, I did mention that I plan on doing services also. I also have been at it hobby wise for a few years and have grown it, I have sold bigger bikes as well but by far the mopeds have been a bigger seller, I have developed a lot of contacts from bike shops for parts to couriers for collection and delivery nationwide. Also have a guy who does work on bigger bikes who comes in once a week on cash basis if and when I need him. Have resprayers also for when needed.

I did say sell,SERVICE and lease.Keep your premises get the van and get someone willing to work nights (oncall).Get stickers printed advertising your call out services and collection back to your workshop.Stick to Scooters and link with another secondhand Scooter dealer in the UK or the continent.A lot of retail motorbike shops have their service place somewhere else meaning 2 rents and 2 wages.The best business in the world to be in is Business that you are doing something you like/love.Trying to find money pay large bills at the end of the month you will loose your love of bikes very quick.I was a motorbike courier years ago.Small fast food outfits to start with, then get in touch with bigger chains talk to the md recommending the best most reliable scooters with the easiest source able parts and offer a service contract for their existing fleet.Good Luck

Guys thanks very much for all the help and advice, didn't expect so much good ideas and things to think about, alot for me to think about and nothing to put me off so far. Thanks again and keep it coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭WicklowTiger

With an ageing population the disability mobility sector is going to get bigger and bigger. Set yourself up right, get in with a few disability organisations (IWA, HSE, etc.) You could be onto a winner.

Advertisement