Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 13), May 13-14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Sun is splitting the stones here in Cork.

Dundalk, Rovers, Pats & Cork City all to win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Heading to the cork game later, what a day for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

Looking forward to the game v Dundalk, haven't been embarrassed at home this year and our home form will be key. Dundalk are a different animal away from home though and could embarrass us if we don't show up. May see a few changes to be honest, few lads left everything in the Brandywell on Tuesday and we're now away at St. Pats this Tuesday as well :angry:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Costa Del Cork here today, all setup for a great game of ball and hopefully a crowd of 3500+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Our match against Longford is on Setanta Sports. We've had some patchy results recently but the result on Tuesday was much better and Longford seem poor so I think we should win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Lovely weather for a match. Big few days for Pat's. Good opportunity to get six points from tonight and against Finn Harps on Tuesday to follow up Tuesday's decent win in Galway.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

We might need these up in Sligo

94bcf79f987b_sf_3.jpg

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I would happily take a point against Pats tonight. I fear the worst however. At least it is a nice evening for a few pre match pints so there is that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

We might need these up in Sligo

How many games was the goalless run back in 2012? Is it close?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

dfx- wrote: »
    How many games was the goalless run back in 2012? Is it close?

Think it was 5 games, we scored in our 6th against Cork. In the league at least anyway.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Difference in class and part time/full time set ups proving a wicked combination in Finn Park. Our lads are out on their feet. Should have made more than one change since Tuesday. Fearful for our goal difference with pats and shams to come next week too.
    Also sweet strike by horgan for their third. Given far too much space though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Sun is splitting the stones here in Cork.

Dundalk, Rovers, Pats & Cork City all to win?

Opps!

(and Derry concede 2 in the last 5 minutes so 2 from 4 then).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Opps!

(and Derry concede 2 in the last 5 minutes Cork score 2 in the last 5 mins, so 2 from 4 then).

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I would happily take a point against Pats tonight. I fear the worst however. At least it is a nice evening for a few pre match pints so there is that.

Ye got the point, but probably not the way you were thinking :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Looking forward to the game v Dundalk, haven't been embarrassed at home this year

Ye sure as well have now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Looking forward to the game v Dundalk, haven't been embarrassed at home this year and our home form will be key. Dundalk are a different animal away from home though and could embarrass us if we don't show up. May see a few changes to be honest, few lads left everything in the Brandywell on Tuesday and we're now away at St. Pats this Tuesday as well :angry:

A sobering result, but hopefully a one off. Its been a very good season for Harps so far, I'm not going to let one terrible result affect my optimism and enjoyment.

Well **** it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Rovers were incredibly poor tonight. Youths should have really won by four or so, if Eric Molloy took a few of his easy chances. Gavin Brennan played an absolute stinker, and Nutsy just had them lobbing the ball at Shaw who won nothing against our two Delaneys

I think at this stage i would just prefer Pat's to play all their games away from home.

monkey9 wrote: »
    I think at this stage i would just prefer Pat's to play all their games away from home.

Ye were very poor. We were also terribly poor at the back. Was happy with a point but the 3 were there for the taking. Wexford beating shams does not help at all.

• Advertisement

Ye were very poor. We were also terribly poor at the back. Was happy with a point but the 3 were there for the taking. Wexford beating shams does not help at all.

I think the draw was the right result overall. During the first half, i was thinking we're going to have to be patient here. You's had five at the back and seemed to play for the nil all draw which is fair enough considering previous results. But you's did attack on the break when you's could and had a couple of half chances. We, for all our possession, just looked very light in the final third.

The second half i think you's knew we were there for the taking. The goal straight after the break obviously gave you's confidence, but bloody hell our defence was horrible. Hoare was out of sorts and Dennehy's just a joke of a defender. I have to say though, i did not think that was a penalty whatsoever. I'd need to see it again on tv but it just looked like there was nothing in it at all.

Conan Byrne changed things for us when he came on. He's just such a great outlet on the right hand side and himself and Ger O' Brien link up well.

Pat's are so frustrating this season. We're very ordinary, but we go away and get some decent results only to be brought down again when we get back to Richmond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Can't get my head around the fact that the Longford team I saw against Wexford on Tuesday, got a point against St. Pats.

It's mad Ted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Youths have shown previously that we need the whole theam to be on their game if we are to achieve results. Last night was those performances. Genuinely couldn't pick a MOTM, but Aidan Friel had his best game in a Wexford shirt.

I believe Nutsy got the hairdryer out big time in the dressing room. Locked the players in while the pasta was going cold upstairs :)

Derry were awful, 9 men behind the ball at all times. Then time wasting from the 60th minute onwards which stupidly went unpunished. Got their just desserts in the end.

Then somebody from the management team losing the rag with the ref at the end was odd, it was getting feisty. In no way was the ref to blame for that defeat.

Mushy wrote: »
    Derry were awful, 9 men behind the ball at all times. Then time wasting from the 60th minute onwards which stupidly went unpunished. Got their just desserts in the end.

Then somebody from the management team losing the rag with the ref at the end was odd, it was getting feisty. In no way was the ref to blame for that defeat.

Really looking forward to hearing what excuse/moan Shiels comes up with on Soccer Republic. His one about the bench not being close enought to the halfway line at Oriel was a good one, he'll be hard pressed to beat that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Really looking forward to hearing what excuse/moan Shiels comes up with on Soccer Republic. His one about the bench not being close enought to the halfway line at Oriel was a good one, he'll be hard pressed to beat that one.

There are still 17 points between Derry and the relegation zone. Kenny will take heart from that.

A victim of sectarianism is what Shiels is claiming to be at the hands of some Cork backroom staff.

A victim of sectarianism is what Shiels is claiming to be at the hands of some Cork backroom staff.

He said Derry were victims of some home decisions, he could see it was clearly a goal kick from his position, he's an idiot. I was all of 10 yards from him and nobody would've called a goal kick on it. Saying he was calm, spoofer. I'm not even a Cork fan either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

That was at Harps in the first game of the season wasn't it? Said the dugout got moved that night anyway.

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote: »
    That was at Harps in the first game of the season wasn't it? Said the dugout got moved that night anyway.

No it was definitely at Oriel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Blessed to get 3 points tonight. Bohs should have had a couple.

When we went down to 10 I was expecting a point at most.

No it was definitely at Oriel.

Oriel wasn't the first time he had mentioned any issue with dugouts. He complained during the game when Tony O'Donoghue did his live touchline bit. The duguts were certainly never moved in any way as the technical area is permanently marked for starters. I was surprised about Sheils taking issue with the Oriel dugouts as there is damn all in the difference but as tfe players tunnel is not central out of the stand the away team bench is about a couple of meters from halfway and the home dugout is a bit closer to halfway. Any advantage/disadvantage changes at HT so it was a little odd.

Any advantage/disadvantage changes at HT so it was a little odd.

Not really.

The home dugout is on the centre line in Oriel, so the home manager has a perfect view of both halves.

The away dugout is inside one half, so one half of the pitch is always further away.

All that changes at half time is which half is further away.

The home manager still has a perfect position.

Ok fair enough, we should hang binoculars on the away dugout!

Can any Galway fan tell me why Alex Byrne is nicknamed 'Timmy'. I know it's a South Park reference, but why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,051 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To be fair to Shiels, if he was the victim of sectarian abuse from any of the Cork management team, then he should push it as far as he can. I think he said he was going to put the claim in an official letter to the FAI.

Fully back him, no place for any of that old sh1te in our league.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rovers were incredibly poor tonight. Youths should have really won by four or so, if Eric Molloy took a few of his easy chances. Gavin Brennan played an absolute stinker, and Nutsy just had them lobbing the ball at Shaw who won nothing against our two Delaneys

In fairness to Gavin Brennan, he's out of position so he will be like that. He was arguably man of the match last Tuesday with some keepy-uppys and a bicycle kick on his goal-line.

Rovers keeping up the consistent inconsistency. The Cork win and Longford draw are good results in the circumstances really.

NIMAN wrote: »
    To be fair to Shiels, if he was the victim of sectarian abuse from any of the Cork management team, then he should push it as far as he can. I think he said he was going to put the claim in an official letter to the FAI.

Oh don't get me wrong, if there's any substance in it of course it should be investigated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

If he feels aggrieved, he should be doing it via the official channels, not mouthing off to the media. It completely prejudices a defendant's position if the alleged victim is speaking to the media as if it's fact, with the real possibility of certain parts (tabloids) twisting quotes/using sensationalised headlines to sell more papers. This poses a real risk of members of a disciplinary panel having their minds made up ever before any action is taken (adverse pretrial publicity prejudicing a fair hearing). The disciplinary panel should only be hearing what is submitted to them in evidence and nothing else.

If there is nothing in the allegations then Cork have little to worry about, regardless of how the papers might pick up things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

If there is nothing in the allegations then Cork have little to worry about, regardless of how the papers might pick up things.

Well its not really. The clubs name gets dragged through the muck and the media dont always give a toss about that afterwards.

Totally disagree.

If he actually makes a formal complaint and an investigation takes place then I am confident the truth will come out and i think he will be proven wrong . but I doubt this will happen, he shouted his mouth off because he was píssed off and I reckon he will go quiet on the issue.

If therer is an investigation , by then a lot will have been written of the supposed sectarian nature of the club or the fans , of their chants etc and this will be dragged up again and again in the years to come.

Sling enough mud and some of it will stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

We looked poor against Drogs on Friday, they didn't look up to much either. They playoff spots could be anyones this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Of course the media can have an effect. As the other two lads have said, it causes a lot of bad publicity for the club, which, if the defendant is found innocent, is very unfair. And of course what is said in the papers can have a prejudicial effect on those who are supposed to be impartial judges.

Why do you think that the media have very strict rules on reporting of ongoing court cases/ones that haven't started yet? Adverse pretrial publicity is grounds to have a case thrown out.

Everyone has the right to a good name, fair procedures and a fair trial.

The allegations are too serious. The FAI should investigate.

It should not be difficult as there were many witnesses. This is not alleged sectarian abuse whispered into someone's ear.

For the sake of the game and of Cork's reputation, it should be conducted swiftly.

Lets not forget that Sheils has previously been banned over in Scotland for false accusations, and even a quick search will show up how much of a lunatic this fella is.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/kilmarnock/9743666/Kilmarnocks-Kenny-Shiels-given-four-match-ban-as-Aberdeen-give-Jamie-Masson-new-deal.html

http://www.sfm.scot/a-question-of-trust/?cid=28828

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

Completely outplayed on Friday - which I was expecting being honest but still didn't think we would be hit for 7. Some of the blame has to lie with OH as naming the same squad for the 3rd time in 7 days was a joke. St.Pats on Tuesday is a better chance of a point so he could of played some fringe players on Friday. Players were dead on their feet.

Dundalk though were a joy to watch, they absolutely ooze class and Horgans goal is goal of the season material.

As for Shiels, he did mention the dugouts at FP too as well as the pitch (which now looks top class can I just add given its such a hot topic when a pitch is bad)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Dundalk would be scoring even more if they had a good home pitch.

Another beaut, this clown is a nutcase.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/25666800

Careful.

Shields may have been the subject of sectarian abuse.

This thread is degenerating to (alleged) victim blaming.

• Advertisement
Advertisement