Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you Buy Irish?

Options
  • 13-05-2016 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

OK, so when you are out shopping do you buy Irish products/produce?

If you do do you do so to:

* Support Irish Jobs and the Irish Economy?
    * Buy it because its good quality?
    * Buy it because you feel its just the right thing to do?

If you saw 2 Identical things whilst out shopping and one was produced in china or UK or somewhere else and the identical or near identical thing was made or produced in Ireland if the Items produced in other countries were a lot cheaper would you buy them ones or if the Irish equivalent Items were dearer would you pay that extra amount and buy Irish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Yes, when possible and I think I can reasonably afford it. Especially food.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

I buy Lidl Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

I buy whatever is cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

I try to buy local when I can. As in buy from businesses in my town because I want to see them stay open and I know most of the people who work there. Don't really care about the other towns but I suppose I am buying Irish. In the supermarket I would probably just buy the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

I'm an equal opportunity shopper. In that the merchants around me have an equal opportunity to offer me the best deal. I won't buy something just because it's Irish or local or other such criteria. If it's of good quality and a reasonable price I'll consider it.

SD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Within reason.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Food - yes; other goods - no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Something you don't see too often these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Problem with the new buy Irish schemes is some companies abuse it, rely on the brand name with little Irish input in the actual product!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

K-9 wrote: »
    Problem with the new buy Irish schemes is some companies abuse it, rely on the brand name with little Irish input in the actual product!

Think it was in NI where they advertised meat as Irish when it was only packaged there. The animal was reared, slaughtered and maybe processed elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,244 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes lots of chicken and prawns sourced in non EU countries and still given an Irish lable, bloody disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I usually try and buy Irish craft beer if I'm having a drink.
    **** Diageo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

I support Irish shops when I can but if the quality isn't upto scratch then I won't be buying from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Processed here. Produced... where?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Esel wrote: »
    Processed here. Produced... where?

I like Irish bananas k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Thank's Foxy Farmer ...

Back in the 70s you would see certain FIAT cars with that on the back of them :eek:

Not sure thery were truly Irish cars though, probably just assembled here?

Personally speaking I try to buy Irish meet, poultry, milk, eggs, etc, but I don't mind where everything else comes from, whether its from Ireland or not makes no difference to me, as long as it a good product.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

No. I buy everything online from China and the U.K.

I then wonder why there are no jobs in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I buy good quality at reasonable price. So sometimes yes (strawberries), sometimes no (tomatoes, peppers, etc.)

I do wish there was more Irish-grown food available, but I don't think anyone in this country is even growing asparagus, or broad beans, or artichokes, or wild mushrooms.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I try to buy "locally" as much as possible, so Irish, then EU. It's hard to avoid the Chinese produced stuff in some areas, but where there is an alternative closer to home I'll buy it, even if there's an extra cost.

I do remember a few years back wracking what passes for my brain trying to think of anything I own that was made in America and a couple of books, some NASA memorabilia, a car part or two and two fishing reels was the bones of it. OK I have a fair number of IT items that come from US companies, but they're made outside the US. I do consume a lot of their media, TV and film I suppose. I thought it interesting at the time considering the US being the world's largest economy and all that. Well, it was a boring day… :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

That's because it's illegal to use it under EU competition law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I buy Lidl Irish.

I always do a double take at the Lidl - "Curry Chicken Irish Pie" - It just seems an odd way to say it. I wonder which bit is Irish, maybe the box :P

Barely ever.

TBH it's hard to justify" "buying Irish" for groceries when, realistically, I can get the exact same products, as good quality or better, for half the price.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I mostly drink Irish if that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I buy based on quality over origin. Irish companies like to tell us to buy Irish but then rip us off in the process. Kerry Gold is cheaper in Spain than it is in my local Tesco!

Yes lots of chicken and prawns sourced in non EU countries and still given an Irish lable, bloody disgrace.

This is the label to look for if you want to be sure the food in question really is Irish.

http://www.bordbia.ie/SiteCollectionImages/IndustryServices/QualityAssurance/QAS-logo.gif

If possible when it comes to food I buy Irish, meat being the major thing and also dairy. It's not hard though as most products than can be produced in Ireland are plentiful in shops such as meat etc so you don't have to go out of your way to buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

dairy products and meat yes, everything else no

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

There are a few good reasons to buy locally sourced good where possible, and Irish meat and dairy products happen to be particularly delicious so I would tend to go for those. That said, I'm a terrible person so I don't really make much of an effort to check where the things I buy come from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭MarcoAntonio23

I always buy Irish beer, some fantastic beers being produced in Ireland.

Advertisement