Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you Buy Irish?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,468 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'm always confused when I look ay my Aldi receipt and Valencia freshly squeezed orange juice is listed as an Irish product. :(

I buy whatever is cheapest.
    Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

You can't lose with Tesco Everyday Value meat, then. Neigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

LordSutch wrote: »
    Thank's Foxy Farmer ...

Back in the 70s you would see certain FIAT cars with that on the back of them :eek:

Not sure thery were truly Irish cars though, probably just assembled here?

Personally speaking I try to buy Irish meet, poultry, milk, eggs, etc, but I don't mind where everything else comes from, whether its from Ireland or not makes no difference to me, as long as it a good product.

Ford had a plant in Cork and a real blast from the past was Talbot. We even made buses which CIE used, didn't last long! Not sure how much of the manufacturing was here either.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This is the label to look for if you want to be sure the food in question really is Irish.

http://www.bordbia.ie/SiteCollectionImages/IndustryServices/QualityAssurance/QAS-logo.gif

If possible when it comes to food I buy Irish, meat being the major thing and also dairy. It's not hard though as most products than can be produced in Ireland are plentiful in shops such as meat etc so you don't have to go out of your way to buy them.

I always assumed it was for meat and dairy produce.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

You can't lose with Tesco Everyday Value meat, then. Neigh.

I think horse meat is more expensive so I'm actually saving money :pac:

I should probably add I buy the cheapest which doesn't taste awful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I don't live in Ireland but I will buy Irish if the quality is there. Had a beautiful tweed jacket made for me recently in Louis Copeland using Donegal tweed. Excellent Irish materials and workmanship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

I buy Irish when possible, if there is a crazy difference in price though for no apparent reason I would go with the cheaper option however.

I also refuse to use automated tills in supermarkets. If i have time I wait at the manned till or I avoid those stores completely as I don't like the way the tech is being pushed by some supermarkets, it's fine for a couple of items only but more often a properly staffed set of tills will be quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

I always buy Irish beer, some fantastic beers being produced in Ireland.

That ponce beer is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I don't live in Ireland but I will buy Irish if the quality is there. Had a beautiful tweed jacket made for me recently in Louis Copeland using Donegal tweed. Excellent Irish materials and workmanship.

Thinly veiled I have too much money to waste on clothes post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭MarcoAntonio23

That ponce beer is it?
    ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

That ponce beer is it?

Nah, it's not Heino!

Real Irish beer is probably too flavoursome for you :P

Thinly veiled I have too much money to waste on clothes post.

Yeah, that's why he posts it.

K-9 wrote: »
    I always assumed it was for meat and dairy produce.

It can also be found on some other food products too like fruit and veg and eggs for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I tried to buy foreign but it backfired badly.

US$28 for 2 CDs

An Post arrived today with them and charged me €7 VAT and another €7 for themselves for kindly facilitating that VAT transaction.

The threshold is €22 so I must have been just over it.

I used to be all patriotic with spending money but a work colleague of mine in the software industry pointed out the error of my ways to me. He said if you get redundant here no state agency cares. You find another job yourself. If private companies are losing custom there is no safety net.. There are unions for pub sector, lobby groups for farmers, but we as private sector are on our own. So why should I pay any premium prices to 'fellow' Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭Esel

That ponce beer is it?

Go suck on a Punk. :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I buy what I like from anywhere.

This notion of buying Irish is rubbish. We export our best produce and leave the dregs for our consumption.

Irish exports were booming even during the Crash. So no, I don't care really, I will buy what I like from wherever. I never look at provenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Ill buy the Irish product if its similar quality to the other international product Im considering buying. But Im not going to buy an inferior product just because its irish, if they can't provide a quality service that people desire then its their loss. Im not going to put myself out to buy irish but if I have the option to then I will

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That's because it's illegal to use it under EU competition law
    No, it just can't be state funded.

http://www.guaranteedirish.ie/consumers.htm
    In 1982 the European Court ruled against the operation of the scheme by a state funded agency. To continue with this valuable service to industry and the community, in 1984 Guaranteed Irish Limited was formed as an independent non-profit company. To this day Guaranteed Irish continues to promote the ethos of the original program.

Membership starts from as little as €1 per day for a sole trader.

IIRC the rules were that you had to add 40% of value here. Many importers and distributors do that already :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Shint0 wrote: »
    I like Irish bananas k
    Do they still manufacture them in Cork ?

• Advertisement

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    No. I buy everything online from China and the U.K.

I then wonder why there are no jobs in Ireland.
    I can get crap from China for 34c, including envelope and addressing. Delivered by the same postal service that wouldn't give you a local stamp for twice that.

http://www.buyincoins.com/item/3726.html#.VzY6Fb6urDc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Do they still manufacture them in Cork ?

...via Puerto Rico

Advertisement