Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to teach English and History at secondary level....but don't know how.

Options
  • 13-05-2016 2:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

Hi there. So I'm finishing up a course in Marketing for my BA I have disliked the whole course really and can't see myself going into any long term work for it. English and History is a passion to me and was something I considered doing but I just went safe and went for a practical business based course. It's not what I want at all and the desire to teach English and History is still there and probably after years of doing a course which I didn't really like has given me even more clarity.

Basically I want to know can I do an MA in English or history (or both but no like finding such a course) and then do a hdip or does it have to be a 3-4 year degree and then the hdip? Also I want to know can you do a hdip straight after a masters?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Basically I want to know can I do an MA in English or history (or both but no like finding such a course) and then do a hdip or does it have to be a 3-4 year degree and then the hdip? Also I want to know can you do a hdip straight after a masters?

No, an MA is no good in terms of qualifying you to teach those subjects. You need at least 60 ects degree credits in each of those subjects from 2nd and 3rd years to be able to teach them. Google the exit qualification "Higher Diploma in Arts" (in UCD and other universities) as that's the most usual way to attain those degree credits without getting a degree. By that route you could do them in 2 years. And then spend another two years getting the teaching qualification.

They are the two most oversubscribed teaching subjects, so I wouldn't advise anybody who wants to be employable anytime soon to put their hopes in them.

Advertisement