Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surveyor or Structural Engineer

Options
  • 13-05-2016 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi all,

We're just going sale agreed on a house this week (first time buyers) and a bit bewildered by the whole process. Should we be getting a structural engineer to look at the house or a surveyor? What's the actual difference between the two? We're not planning on making any alterations but there are already extensions built on to the house.

Also does anyone have any recommendations? The estate agent gave us some suggestions but I don't know if it's a good idea to get someone more independent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Hi all,

We're just going sale agreed on a house this week (first time buyers) and a bit bewildered by the whole process. Should we be getting a structural engineer to look at the house or a surveyor? What's the actual difference between the two? We're not planning on making any alterations but there are already extensions built on to the house.

Also does anyone have any recommendations? The estate agent gave us some suggestions but I don't know if it's a good idea to get someone more independent?

We got an engineer to it. They pretty much do the exact same report. Expect to pay between €300-€500 for a good quality report

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

I've used <snip> and they were spot on: I got a full brochure with strenght and weakness of the property.
    Consider it as an investment today for more peace of mind tomorrow.

Mod edit: As per forum charter, recommendations by PM only.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 NGUYEN01

Can some PM me the details for a good Structural Engineer. Buying 1950's house, garage space converted to bedroom and wet room - did this need planning permission ?

Need Engineer to review the property.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement